Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: LEVEL 3 CALL BACK

ReallyStoked
Tutor

Plex firmware that resides on the router is way out of date

If the Tech Support person indicated a Level 3 person would be calling me to help with my issue, what should be the maximum length of time in which this should happen?  I have been waiting three weeks and all they can tell me is to wait for the Level 3 person to call.  Is there away to elevate a non callback? 

Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

That's a bit to excessing IMO.

What product is this in regards too? 

Message 2 of 11
ReallyStoked
Tutor

It's in regards to having NetGear publish a firmware update for the X10 AD7200 (R9000).  Long story short, I use this router as my server for Plex.  The Plex firmware that resides on the router is way out of date and it's my understanding the Plex firmware updates can only occur when the router firmware is updated.  I think I convenced NetGear of the need to update, it just now needs to happen, otherwise accessing Plex though the client doesn't activiate the live TV and recording features in Plex.

Message 3 of 11
ChristineT
Admin

Hello @ReallyStoked ,

@FURRYe38 - raised your inquiry to our team. I'll see what I can do to raise this inquiry internally and get some type of update for you early next week. Please feel free to @mention me if you receive an update in the meantime.

Best,

Christine

Message 4 of 11
plemans
Guru

Wonder how long netgear will continue to update this router since plex updates so frequently. I get regular updates on my plex installation but I'm running it on a server so its a little easier. 

Might be worth checking out moving your plex setup to a NUC or repurposed old computer. Even an older computer can transcode better than the r9000. 

Message 5 of 11
ReallyStoked
Tutor

Will greatly apprecate anything you might be able to do.  I have been struggling with this issue since August and been trying to get NetGear to fix it since September.  I think this last Support Case ticket has everything they need to know about what's going on and hopefully get it resolved.

Message 6 of 11
ReallyStoked
Tutor

I appreciate the advice, but I would like to hang with this router method a bit longer.  It has served me well,  only had transcode issues a couple of years ago, but now very smooth sailing.  Plus it would be another piece of equipment that would have to be on all the time.  Seems like it shouldn't be a hard task for NetGear to update the Plex Firmware.  Fingers Crossed.

Message 7 of 11
plemans
Guru

@ReallyStoked wrote:

Seems like it shouldn't be a hard task for NetGear to update the Plex Firmware.  Fingers Crossed.

You wouldn't think so but the problem isn't just a simple firmware change. 

1. plex likes to add updates. They might not always be compatible with a router. Like the dvr feature or the live tv add ins. Not saying they aren't just saying as plex add things or changes coding, it can break backwards compatibility

2. the R9000 was released in 2016. so its 6 years old. some of netgears devices still get updates after that long but others get phased out (EoS) as the chipset manufacturers stop updating. The amount of time a company dedicates to older hardware is going  to decrease. Again, not saying they won't, its just something to keep in mind. 

https://www.netgear.com/about/eos/

3. arm processors 6 years ago didn't have the power they do now. As features/things get added to plex, that processor in it can start to struggle. I found that out running plex on a nas and thats when I moved to a server. sometimes upgrading the firmware/plex can decrease performance as the software is requiring more power than is available. 

Its nice to see that its still working but its just something to keep in mind for the future with plex on these lower powered devices. 

Message 8 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

You might check Voxels FW to see if he updates his FW for plex...

@ReallyStoked wrote:

I appreciate the advice, but I would like to hang with this router method a bit longer.  It has served me well,  only had transcode issues a couple of years ago, but now very smooth sailing.  Plus it would be another piece of equipment that would have to be on all the time.  Seems like it shouldn't be a hard task for NetGear to update the Plex Firmware.  Fingers Crossed.

Message 9 of 11
ReallyStoked
Tutor

Christine,

I reached out to Tech Support again, this time with an answer.  They told me no more Plex Firmware updates will be provided.  This sort of blows my mind, as it makes the router non functional for the intended use for which I purchased it, as a Plex Media Server.  It's a broken committment that the router would support Plex, no where did it say it would only be for a five year period.  Apparently the customer isn't "buying" a router, but "renting" and at the end of the rental period you just through it away.  They just don't care.

Thanks,

Wayne

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

You might check Voxels FW to see if he updates his FW for plex...

Nothing lasts forever. NG isn't the only one to drop support of a special feature after a period of time. 5-6 years is about the going rate. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7