Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Port forwarding for minecraft server

Aredjay
Aspirant

Port forwarding on R6400v2

so today I was setting up a minecraft server and when i proceeded to port forward it i got this, down below.  there is no way to change the external starting point or ending point and no way to set internal ones either, please help!

Screenshot (3).png

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@Aredjay wrote:

I do think this has something to do with firewall, most likely on the router.

That's just a guess at this point.  I don't know about Armor, but the normal NAT firewall in your router won't interfere with the forwarding.  Does your router support Armor?  If so, did you enable it?

Also, what device is in front of your Netgear router?  If it is a gateway, you might also need to add a forwarding rule there (forwarding the port to the Netgear router).  If you aren't sure what it is, post the manufacturer and model here.

Other things to look at:

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 21

All Replies
Aredjay
Aspirant

Picture

Screenshot (3).png

Message 2 of 21
Aredjay
Aspirant

Port forwarding for minecraft server

This is an @ page because no one is responding 

@plemans @FURRYe38 @Netduma-Fraser @StephenB @schumaku @Knightkast 

Message 3 of 21
StephenB
Guru

I don't have this particular router, but I haven't had trouble with port forwarding on a wide range of Netgear routers.

The only field that appears grayed out is the internal port range, and that is simply because you checked the option to use external range internally.

What exactly can't you set?  Have you entered something in the Service Name field?

What port(s) are you trying to forward?

Message 4 of 21
Aredjay
Aspirant

Im wondering how to even set it up, when my friend trys to join the server it doesnt work, with the local and public IP

Message 5 of 21
Aredjay
Aspirant

also, when i try to connect it says 

io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel$AnnotatedConnectException: Connecton timed out 

No further info

Message 6 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@Aredjay wrote:

Im wondering how to even set it up, when my friend trys to join the server it doesnt work, with the local and public IP

The service name is just descriptive - Minecraft should be fine.

The port for Minecraft is 25565.

The local IP address should of course be the local IP address of your minecraft server.  Ideally you'd reserve that address -= see page 114 here for instructions on that: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R6400/R6400_UM_07Aug2015.pdf

Once you've done that, your friend would connect to your public IP address.  The problem with that is that your ISP will change your public  IP address w/o warning.  So you should also register for a free DDNS account (see page 86 of the above reference).  Then your friend would connect to the DDNS name, and the DDNS cloud service would resolve that name to your current public IP address.

Message 7 of 21
Aredjay
Aspirant

Could you help me walk through that a bit more? Very confuzed!

Message 8 of 21
Aredjay
Aspirant

like wich ip do i put in and wich mac address? for reserving, i also need some help with the other thing.

Message 9 of 21
Aredjay
Aspirant

I really need help with this 😕

Message 10 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@Aredjay wrote:

I really need help with this 😕

For the IP reservation, the simplest thing is to use the IP address the server is currently using.  When you add a reservation, you should see a device list that includes the server.  Just select it, and it should fill in the IP address and the MAC address for you.

For DDNS, you just follow the steps in the manual (page 86) to register and set up an netgear DDNS name.  This will be something like adedjay.mynetgear.com (you get to pick the first part).

Message 11 of 21
Aredjay
Aspirant

Hello, do you think it could be something about the security for the netgear router? my cousin was talking about that.

If you do wright back, thank you! i really need help!

Message 12 of 21
Aredjay
Aspirant

ok i set up the ddns, how do my friends connect to my minecraft server? i dont get what you mean by use the name. Also do i connect the ddns name to anything? also again my cousin said something about security and to disable it, I want your word on this, thanks please wright back!

🙂

Message 13 of 21
Aredjay
Aspirant

@StephenB this is an @ for my last reply to you if you cant see it, I dont know how these forums work.

Message 14 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@Aredjay wrote:

ok i set up the ddns, how do my friends connect to my minecraft server? i dont get what you mean by use the name. Also do i connect the ddns name to anything? 

I don't use minecraft myself.  But I believe your cousin (and other remote users) simply have to enter your DDNS name instead of your public IP address when they connect to your server.  From what I've googled, they'd select "multiplayer", then "add server", and then enter the ddns name.

The DDNS cloud server takes care of the rest - it's the same process that happens when you access a web page in your browser.  The name is resolved to an IP address using normal Internet protocols, and that is invisible to you and your family/friends.

@Aredjay wrote:

also again my cousin said something about security and to disable it,

I don't know what his security concern is, and I've never researched how Minecraft connections are secured and managed.  DDNS doesn't create any security problems, so it is safe to keep that service running.  

Forwarding the port in your router allows any minecraft client on the internet to connect to your server.  So you should enable a whitelist (or something similar) in the server so only your family/friends are allowed to use it.  And you should keep the minecraft server software up to date.  It would be smart to turn off the port forwarding until you figure out how to do that. 

Another thing you could do is schedule when you will open the server to your family/friends - turning the port forwarding on when you all want to play, and turning it off again when you are done.

BTW, I noticed on your screen shot that there is a firmware update available for your router.  It would also be good to install that update.

I don't usually check this forum area, so it is helpful if you use the @ in your replies.

Message 15 of 21
Aredjay
Aspirant

k i updated @StephenB  ill tell you if it works

Message 16 of 21
Aredjay
Aspirant

@StephenB  It didnt work, It says that the connection was refuzed and he cant join my minecraft server. I do think this has something to do with firewall, most likely on the router.

How do i turn it off? Like netgear armor or whatever?

Message 17 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@Aredjay wrote:

I do think this has something to do with firewall, most likely on the router.

That's just a guess at this point.  I don't know about Armor, but the normal NAT firewall in your router won't interfere with the forwarding.  Does your router support Armor?  If so, did you enable it?

Also, what device is in front of your Netgear router?  If it is a gateway, you might also need to add a forwarding rule there (forwarding the port to the Netgear router).  If you aren't sure what it is, post the manufacturer and model here.

Other things to look at:

Message 18 of 21
Aredjay
Aspirant

well, i never figured it out, its a problem with netgear i think or my router, followed many tuttorials, it just nevr worked! im gonna close this disscussion and quit.

Message 19 of 21
Aredjay
Aspirant

Message 20 of 21
schumaku
Guru

Your R6400v2 router does have public IPv4 address on it's WAN/Internet interface, or does your ISP (or in-house network service) deploy Carrier Grade NAT (RFC6598, or even worse private RFC1918) IPv4 addresses?

Compare the information shown on your router Web UI WAN/Internet port vs. a search for "what is my IP address"!

Is the R6400v2 connected behind another NAT router?

Any ISP side firewall provisions in place?

PS. Stolen my own post from another similar thread -> https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Port-open-with-UPNP-but-finally-not-accessib... ... all this is much more likle than a problem with the router port forwarding.

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7