Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Printer and Ring devices lost connection from the router

Draken
Aspirant

Printer and Ring devices lost connection from the router

Hi, My problem is that I lost my printer and my ring devices from my WIFI . Up until 2 weeks ago they were working fine then they stopped. All my other wireless devices work fine.

Thank you Draken

Model: R8000P|Nighthawk X6S—AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 26

Accepted Solutions
Draken
Aspirant

Re: Printer and Ring devices lost connection from the router

Just an update on my problems. After tech support finally contacted me, we spent an hour and a half on the phone trying to resolve my issue. It came down to me returning my router for a new replacemnet. Now everything is working great again. The service for return was flawless. Thanks again for your feed back. 

Draken

View solution in original post

Message 26 of 26

All Replies

@Draken wrote:

All my other wireless devices work fine.

Suggests that the printer and ring devices are where the problem lies.

Have you tried setting them up again from scratch?

Message 2 of 26
Draken
Aspirant

I have factory reset both devices and still no connection. The printer says wifi disconnected , and the ring says connected ,no internet access. 

Draken

Message 3 of 26

With no idea what the printer might be, I can only suggest that you do the usual thing.

Find and run the network connection utility for this anonymous printer. It is probably somewhere on your PC. That works for many people who turn up here complaining about printers not connecting to wifi.

The wifi clearly works but the printer won't play ball.

You could also try resetting your router, but that is a bit drastic and will wipe out your configuration.

Message 4 of 26
Draken
Aspirant

Hi, Sensei , I have done all the factory default settings, ran the software again and still no connection. The only thing that changed was a firmware update. If you can suggest a setting that I missed on the router page that I can changed ! , my only solution is to go back to an old firmware.

Thank You

Draken

Message 5 of 26

WHAT IS THE PRINTER?

Message 6 of 26
Draken
Aspirant

Hi , The printer is an Epson WF3540 ,. The reason I think it is the firmware is because I lost both devices at the same time. Only explanation.

Thank you

Message 7 of 26

@Draken wrote:

The reason I think it is the firmware is because I lost both devices at the same time. Only explanation.

Or, just as likely, pure coincidence. Why would your router suddenly pick on these wifi devices while leaving all the others untouched? It neither knows nor cares what your wifi clients are.

Humour me, find the Epson network connection utility on your PC and put it through its paces.

These might help:

Epson WorkForce WF-3540 | Wireless Setup Using the Printer’s Buttons - YouTube

and

Support & Downloads - Epson WorkForce WF-3540DTWF - Epson

Message 8 of 26
Draken
Aspirant

Hi , thank for the suggestion but the printer still not working. Even used the cable to setup the WIFI.  Status of the printer is WIFI Disconnected.  (Printer works connected by cable)

Message 9 of 26

Without knowing what you have done, it is impossible to suggest what else you can try. You don't say if you ran the printer utility.

But it seems pretty obvious to me that your wifi is working fine, or everything else would fail, so your best place to seek help is with the printer support forums.

As a last ditch option, it will wipe out your router settings, but you could factory reset the router. I assume that you have already done that on the printer. Not sure what you mean by "both devices" in your earlier message.

Message 10 of 26
Draken
Aspirant

Thanks for your help. I done all the basic help suggestion. Reinstall printer drivers , ran the setup, factory default setings and nothing helps. Printer still says WI-FI disconnected. I friend of mine said that a windows update caused Epson printers to lose WIFI (not sure how). The other device that doesn't work is my Ring Doorbell. Again the router sees the mac address, setup for the Ring says connected,  no internent connection. 

Thanks again

Message 11 of 26
myersw
Master

Basic question. I have an Epson printer, different model, but assume similar setup. On the panel on the printer it should show if the printer is connected to the wireless. On mine it is at the top of the screen with green bars indicating signal strength after the setup. I assume you have gone through the wireless setup giving the SSID and pass phrase on the printer. If so then the printer should be connected. Windows and drivers have nothing to do with the printer connecting to the wireless router, that comes into play when actually printing. 

So is the printer connected to the wireless network? Looking through this thread with folks saying run the setup utility to install drivers,etc would not address the basic is it connected to the wireless network. 

Just an a side, I have windows 10 with latest service pack version 1803 and have no Epson printer issues. 

Message 12 of 26

@myersw wrote:
Looking through this thread with folks saying run the setup utility to install drivers,etc would not address the basic is it connected to the wireless network. 

No one has suggested anything about running a setup utility or drivers.

We are talking about the network connection utility. See above, several times.

This has nothing to do with the drivers. It is about getting the printer to see and connect to the wifi.

All of the wifi printers I have encountered come with a connection utility like that. It deals with the steps before you can check if it is connected to the wifi. That's the whole point of this conversation.

As an earlier message from @Draken says "Printer still says WI-FI disconnected."

Message 13 of 26
Draken
Aspirant

No the WIFI light is not on. The wifi status page says WI-Fi disconnected . The print out page says Epson connect disable, signal poor , but the router is in the same room.  Using a wifi strength meter says 83 %. 

Draken

Message 14 of 26
myersw
Master

@Draken wrote:

No the WIFI light is not on. The wifi status page says WI-Fi disconnected . The print out page says Epson connect disable, signal poor , but the router is in the same room.  Using a wifi strength meter says 83 %. 

Draken

Good info. So when you go through the wireless setup it never connects. Not sure why at this point, and neither are you at this point. 😉

Know it is a pain, but you said it was working until you updated. Have you tried going back to the firmware version that was working? Do not see why the new firmware would not work, but being Netgear anything is possible with their crappy firmware. 

Soapbox on

Netgear really needs to step up their game with the engineering staff that are working on the code and bugs. So far IMHO they are a BIG failure. Sold r8000p due to never getting that firmware right and no 3rd party to move to. Have r7800 that runs flawlessly. BUT not running the crap firmware that Netgear provides. Would think long and hard before I would purchase a Netgear product and this is after my feelings they were may go to vendor of choice, not anymore. 

Soapbox off

Message 15 of 26
Draken
Aspirant

I don't know where to find the firmware before the last update. I have version    R8000P-V1.1.4.6_1.1.85  . The version I have installed  now is 1.4.1.24_1.2.20. Anybody   knows where to find a newer version than one?

Draken

Message 16 of 26
myersw
Master

It would appear that what you have is the latest. If you want the older version and do not have a copy of it see below. 

When you go to the download center and select your router it will give you the latest to download. However, there is a little pointer in purple that if you select it will give the older versions. I personally allways copy the firmware to my PC and not deleting it, thereby always having all the versions I have installed. 

Message 17 of 26

There is a support for the R8000P – older firmware, manuals and other stuff – somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> R8000P | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

The release notes for each firmware version tell you how to install it.

Out of interest, why are you using wifi for the printer? I find setting that up to be a pig and use USB where possible.

Message 18 of 26
myersw
Master

@michaelkenward wrote:

Out of interest, why are you using wifi for the printer? I find setting that up to be a pig and use USB where possible.

Just fyi, I have an Epson XP-610. I can print to it from iPhone, other wireless attached devices as long as the Epson printer support has been installed on the device. Works without issue for me. Setup was as simple as going through the front panel to connect to the wifi and install drivers on PC that is USB connected and installing the Epson wireless printer support on things like the iPhone. No pig involved. 😉

The main PC is USB attached to the printer, but all others print wirelessly. 

Message 19 of 26
Draken
Aspirant

Hi, I have 2 computers and need to print from them.  I know I can connect the printer to the router but room for the printer is tight.  If it comes to that so be it. The printer wasn't that hard to set up when I bought 2 years ago so I don't know what changed. The printer was on my new router  until the last update along with my Ring doorbell. Last resort ,will try an old firmware and see what happens.

Thank again, for the suggestions.

Message 20 of 26
myersw
Master

@Draken wrote:

Hi, I have 2 computers and need to print from them.  I know I can connect the printer to the router but room for the printer is tight.  If it comes to that so be it. The printer wasn't that hard to set up when I bought 2 years ago so I don't know what changed. The printer was on my new router  until the last update along with my Ring doorbell. Last resort ,will try an old firmware and see what happens.

Thank again, for the suggestions.

With the crap firmware that Netgear is putting out I think I would drop back to what was working and see what happens. Probably no worse then now. As I said before, I sold my r8000p as I saw no progress by Netgear in fixing issues DD-WRT did not seem interested in doing a build even though Brainslayer, owner of DD-WRT, has a r8000p in house. Guessing he looked at the code and moved on. 

Message 21 of 26
Draken
Aspirant

Hi , Just an update to my problems. Downgraded the firmware and the printer got connected. Then the router kept losing connection and couldn't get on the internet even thu the Internet light was lit.  Replaced the router with my old one and everything working.  

Dracken

Message 22 of 26
myersw
Master

@Draken wrote:

Hi , Just an update to my problems. Downgraded the firmware and the printer got connected. Then the router kept losing connection and couldn't get on the internet even thu the Internet light was lit.  Replaced the router with my old one and everything working.  

Dracken

And now you have experienced the wonderful world of having a r8000p and crappy firmware. I would suggest returning it if you can. I sold my r8000p. Not sure Netgear will ever get the firmware right on this router. 

Message 23 of 26
Draken
Aspirant

Just an update , I was offered , NETGEAR Level 2 support team . It has been almost 2 weeks and I have received no response from them and  I can see why  support gets bad reviews.  I see that you can pay for support but why should I pay for a service that was working before the  router was updated.

Draken

Message 24 of 26
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Draken

I have sent you a Pm.

DarrenM

Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats