Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Problem with NET VIEW, W10, R7000, most recent firmware (including V1.0.9.20)

EruvWeather
Apprentice

Re: Problem with NET VIEW, W10, R7000, most recent firmware (including V1.0.9.20)

Both of my Win10 systems are up to v1709. The one with the issue is hard-wired into the router, the one not exhibiting the issue is connecting via WiFi on the 5GHz network.

Message 26 of 80
EruvWeather
Apprentice

Both computers are running W10 Pro x64. I am thinking it may some sort of "master browser" issue, but it sure seems like the computer in question is just not refreshing the network list.

Message 27 of 80
EruvWeather
Apprentice

No reserved addressess. Everything is dynamic.

Message 28 of 80
IrvSp
Master

Looking at that stuff and I almost get the feeling that there is a MASTER BROWSER problem? Look at https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/bd0af6aa-51ec-477a-8c81-888a4e60bd94/master-browse..., and from the 2nd post:

===

Hi,

As I understand it, the issue you are experiencing is: After Creator Update, Windows 10 cannot use "net view" to list other computers but itself. And only Master Browser server can list all computers.

1.In “Network and Sharing Center”, click “Change Advanced sharing settings”, turn on “network discovery”

2.In “Network and Sharing Center”, click “Change Adapter Settings”, go to NIC Properties\IPv4 Properties\Advenced\Wins tab, select “Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP”

3.In Services console, ensure “Computer Browser” and “Workstation” services are running

4.Run “regedit” to open Registry Editor, navigate to “\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services \Browser\Parameters”, ensure the “MaintainServerList” is set to Yes or Auto

5.In the same location of registry, ensure that at least one computer in each subnet, has the “IsDomainMaster” REG_SZ key set as True.

After that, please wait for about 12 minutes and try “net view” again on these Windows 10 computers.

Also, please open the Network in Explorer, and check if computers will be listed in Network.

Hope it will be helpful to you

===========

Step #5 I don't have?

I did an NBTSTAT on READYSHARE

=========

C:\>nbtstat -a readyshare

Ethernet:

Node IpAddress: [192.168.1.30] Scope Id: []

NetBIOS Remote Machine

Name Table Name Type Status

---------------------------------------------

READYSHARE -00- UNIQUE Registered

READYSHARE -03- UNIQUE Registered

READYSHARE -20- UNIQUE Registered

☺☻__MSBROWSE__☻ -01- GROUP Registered

HOME -00- GROUP Registered

HOME  -1D- UNIQUE Registered

HOME  -1E- GROUP Registered

MAC Address = 00-00-00-00-00-00

===========

It pointed to my PC? Further more, I found this digging through some links, https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e105ef02-962e-437f-aaf3-ad3b533571fb/master-browse..., which basically says Master Browser is NOT working (end of thread).  Same link, post on Saturday, October 28, 2017 6:27 AM shows that the IsDomainMaster IS needed, so I added it.

I see packet 56 and 58, but the REAL question I have is 'WHO IS' Readyshare? See the NBTSTAT above, 192.168.1.30?

I ran a few NBTSTATS:

==========

C:\>nbtstat -a 192.168.1.1

Ethernet:

NetBIOS Remote Machine Name Table

Name               Type         Status
    READYSHARE     <00>  UNIQUE      Registered
    READYSHARE     <03>  UNIQUE      Registered
    READYSHARE     <20>  UNIQUE      Registered
    ☺☻__MSBROWSE__☻<01>  GROUP       Registered
    HOME           <00>  GROUP       Registered
    HOME           <1D>  UNIQUE      Registered
    HOME           <1E>  GROUP       Registered

Bluetooth Network Connection:
Node IpAddress: [0.0.0.0] Scope Id: []

Host not found.

Ethernet:

Host not found.

C:\>nbtstat -a irv8700

Ethernet:

Host not found.

Host not found.
============

They ALL except the last now point back to my PC, 192,168.1.30? Guess what, NET VIEW now returns the 1231 error? Looks like my PC is the Master Browser and hasn't got one as far as it thinks?

Very confused here, W10 bug???

Message 29 of 80
TheEther
Guru

@IrvSp wrote:

Looking at that stuff and I almost get the feeling that there is a MASTER BROWSER problem? Look at https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/bd0af6aa-51ec-477a-8c81-888a4e60bd94/master-browse..., and from the 2nd post:

Further down in that thread, I found something that appears to explain it all.

SMB 1.0 is being discontinued or "deprecated".  Totally reasonable, improves security.

The Computer Browser service is dependant on SMB 1.0, Microsoft have decided to remove the service rather than upgrade Computer Browser so the functionality remains.  The result being Network Neighbourhood browsing is gone for Workgroups and users cannot so easily ascertain which PCs are available in the Workgroup.

So, there you have it.  Network browsing is dead.  And means NET VIEW, too.

Message 30 of 80
IrvSp
Master

@TheEther wrote:

@IrvSp wrote:

Further down in that thread, I found something that appears to explain it all.

SMB 1.0 is being discontinued or "deprecated".  Totally reasonable, improves security.

The Computer Browser service is dependant on SMB 1.0, Microsoft have decided to remove the service rather than upgrade Computer Browser so the functionality remains.  The result being Network Neighbourhood browsing is gone for Workgroups and users cannot so easily ascertain which PCs are available in the Workgroup.

So, there you have it.  Network browsing is dead.  And means NET VIEW, too.

It can't be dead. Otherwise why would it work sometimes? Also part of it is still installed. On the Control Panel, Programs and Features, Turn Windows Features on or Off, there is SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support. 2 of the 3 parts are enabled, the Automatic Removal and the Server. h Client is NOT installed (by default). So I'd think some of it does work?

Unfortunately, just like people having V1.0.9.14 problems and reporting it here with a variety of 'fixes', one can't be totally sure? Other than NEW VIEW I've not had any problems I'd associate with that firmware. The complaint level might be high about it, but we just don't know the percentage of users with the problems that are real and not caused other factors?

Message 31 of 80
TheEther
Guru

@IrvSp wrote:

It can't be dead. Otherwise why would it work sometimes? Also part of it is still installed. On the Control Panel, Programs and Features, Turn Windows Features on or Off, there is SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support. 2 of the 3 parts are enabled, the Automatic Removal and the Server. h Client is NOT installed (by default). So I'd think some of it does work?

I think this is answered elsewhere in that Microsoft thread:

If I set any other PC to be the master browser, windows version irrelevant other than not 1703, then all the computers can run "Net View" and return the list of computers (hence a bunch of other network commands work). 

My guess is that things work whenever your Netgear is the master browser.  If either of your two W10 PCs are the master browser, then it doesn't work.

In any case, the writing is on the wall.  Stop using NET VIEW.  Maybe you can eke a little more use out of it, but its days are numbered, if not already passed.

Message 32 of 80
EruvWeather
Apprentice

The MS articles you cited ... I came across those about a month ago when I was first trying to unravel this issue. The depreciation of SMB 1.0 is a tantalizing clue, but the other Win10 Pro machine on our network is not exhibiting the same behavior, so that does not necessarily align.

Network discovery, etc. is already up and running on the machine in question, otherwise I would not even be able to connect to readyshare or other network shares.

Interesting clues for me include the following:

1) In the Windows Exporer "network" list, other computers show up, but not readyshare or the printers,

2) If I click on network within Windows Explorer, the other computers do show up, and the printers are there under "printers, scanners," etc.

3) I can access readyshare by entering \\readyshare in the address of explorer. At first, I get a a "windows cannot access ... bad address or issue with network ... do you want to diagnose network issues" box. However, if I wait between 15 and 30 seconds, and try to access readyshare again, it is fully accessable. Also, if I do "diagnose" network issues, none are found ... but after the process of "diagnosing," readyshare is accessable (but never shows up in the Network places list).

3a) While the above is true now ... the 15-30 second delay used to be true for the other computer I access files from for awhile, but seems to have gone away. After the router update from .14 to .18, the computer in question did not show itself (!) in the network list until I changed Function Discovery Resource Publcation from "manual" to "automatic." That is the only tweak I have made thus far, in order to not make the situation potentially worse. Another tantalizing clue, but it clearly has not resolved the larger issue.

4) Despite the above, printing to/scanning from network printers works just fine and as expected.

I have tried to research how to manually make the R7000 the master browser, but have not found any clues of how to do that.

This seems like some combination of W10 not using SMB 1.0 anymore, and a master browser issue ... but not consistent from system to system.

So at this point - it is "cosemtic" in that I can still do and get to everything I need, but some cache somewhere is not being updated and I do not know how to force a refresh.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 33 of 80
IrvSp
Master

@EruvWeather wrote:

I have tried to research how to manually make the R7000 the master browser, but have not found any clues of how to do that.

Look here, https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc959923.aspx for details. The Registry for W10 should have the MaintainServerList already set to yes. If you REALLY want to force it, then add IsDomainMaster to the registry subkey. I did that and it made no difference so I removed it.

Don't think the R7000's OS is exposed and you can't make it the Master Browser.

Message 34 of 80
IrvSp
Master

@TheEther wrote:

My guess is that things work whenever your Netgear is the master browser.  If either of your two W10 PCs are the master browser, then it doesn't work.

Not sure the R7000 ever became the Master Browser? If it could then not other would become the Master Browser. W10's default it not to become one, see (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc959923.aspx) as the default it not to take over that function if one exists. My default is yes. That link doesn't call out W10, but it appears to apply. This is the YES function:

==========

This value makes the computer a browser. Upon startup, the computer attempts to contact the master browser to get a current browse list. If the master browser cannot be found, the computer will force a browser election. The computer will either be elected master browser or become a backup browser.

===========

As I read it, the W10 on boot will look for the master browser. If none there it becomes it, otherwise it is the backup (should the 'real' master browser go down, like another PC on the LAN). So in essence, the PC's will all get the current Browse list from the R7000 (I assume). Once the function fails on the R7000, the first booted W10 and still on-line will become the Master Browser. I think that sort of explains a lot too. Remember when my NET VIEW's came back instantly? Yet my wife's PC got the 1231 error? Her PC did not get the list because my PC was the backup when she booted (I suspect). With the R7000 still thinking it was the Master Browser but not functioning, her PC came back with the 1231 error. My PC since it was a backup Master Browser and had the 'current' list showed that. Again, just my logical conclusion for the problem. Also, adding to that and supporting it, once I rebooted the next morning after shutting down with NET VIEW working fine, I too got the 1231 error, why, because at that time the R7000 which had been on all night, on the PC boot it could NOT get the list from the R7000, so my PC gave out the 1231 error.

Now maybe my logic is unfounded and false, but that if correct points back to the R7000 as the cause of the problem.

Too many people must be using the Windows Explorer's Navigation pane's NETWORK to see shares and folders so they could copy files from a drive to the USB drive on the Router. It uses the SAME NEW VIEW type function. If that didn't work in W10 the noise level would be terrible. That said, that Explorer expansion of NETWORK would still work even with the R7000 not able to supply data, it just takes longer to open up. So I guess if there wasn't a need to move files from the PC to a USB drive location on the R7000 (or possibly other routers) no one would be complaining?

Message 35 of 80
EruvWeather
Apprentice

I agree that it is most likely something related to a bug in the R7000 firmware, and you explanation makes sense to me based on my research/experience. The symptoms first appearaed after I upgraed from 1.0.7.10 to 1.0.9.14 (skipped the interim builds due to another readyshare issue that was introduced with 1.0.7.12). While I cannot reproduce this on other systems -- I *have* seen other complaints about this type of issue on W10 after the Fall Creators Update. The missing link in all those posts was no one was talking about which router they were using. Is it possible the firmware on the R7000 is not fully compatabile with SMB 2/3?

Regardless, thank you for your post. At least there is the cold comfort that it is not something I did "wrong." ;-). A friend of mine in IT who specializes in networking was also stumpped. He basically said, since I can get to network shares without too much trouble, that it was not worth too much more trouble shooting time (this was after several weeks of my trying to figure it out). His guess is, there will be a future firmware and/or W10 update after which the problem will magically disappear (or get worse).

Hopefully someone from Netgear will chime in here. I am guessing the lack of mainstream complaints is because the vast majority of home users don't exchange files between computers, and those on business networks have IT folks who are doing the complaining and/or have their networks setup on a domain, etc. where the setup would be different. Also, as noted ... the other computers on my network are showing up in the Explorer list, so the average user might not notice that the printers are missing (why would they care?) from the list. Each example of this issue has somewhat different manifestations, which of course, makes it that much harder to nail down the issue.

Message 36 of 80
IrvSp
Master

@TheEther wrote:
Ignore the ARP for 192.168.1.6 for now. It's a red herring.

NET_VIEW.JPG doesn't work. All I see is a tiny white square. Did you attach the right file?

Did you post Wireshark capture file somewhere? I don't see it.

@TheEther, you actually meant 192.168.1.9. Just discovered WHAT that is... and it isn't a red herring.

It is our wireless HP Printer. Sometime ago we had 2 HP wireless printer, an HP 310A and the only one we have now, an HP 7525. Before we got the HP 7525 I had wireless problems with the HP 310A. The easy solution via HP was to set it on the printer setup for the Network at an xxx.xxx.xxx.10 IP address. That indeed solved the problem. When we added the HP 7525 I automatically within its settings set it to 192.168.1.9.

So, this I think might be a clue? The printer is turned on as needed. Usually it isn't needed often so most of the time it is off. I don't recall it being on when I tried to do a NET VIEW, but obviously something within Windows or the R7000 KNEW it had an IP Address and was trying to see what it was?

Right now I'm getting the 1231 error. I opened Explorer++ and selected NETWORK. It saw my PC, my wife's PC, and 2 R7000 items, the R7000 itself and the Media Server on it, but NOT the USB share. Same for Windows Explorer, see the attached screen capture.

Now I'm thinking 'possibly' when the printer is turned off that notifies the Master Browser on the R7000 and it deletes the printer, however it doesn't recover?

I'm going to test this again, reboot the router, test NET VIEW, turn on the printer, test NET VIEW, and the turn off the printer, and then test NET VIEW again. I will capture the Explorer++ with the Router working on NET VIEW and post this as well. If nothing else, you can see the difference that is shown for the Router, which to me indicates a router problem, not W10.

Message 37 of 80
TheEther
Guru

I think it's a stretch to say the printer is involved. Hopefully, your test will provide some useful information.

OTOH, I think you should check to see which device is functioning as the master browser. As the other threads stated, Win10 doesn't behave well when it is the master browser. So, another hypothesis is that NET VIEW breaks whenever one of your PCs is the master browser, but works when the R7000 is the master.
Message 38 of 80
IrvSp
Master

Not sure how to tell who is the master browser? Everything seems to point to 192.168.1.30 which is my PC?

Ok, I need to make two posts here. First is this one with BOTH the PRINTER and the USB Share showing.

Only using Explorer++ here. You'll see the Printer and READYSHARE are in the NETWORK.

Message 39 of 80
IrvSp
Master

Next one with the PRINTER OFF!

Notice the change? Printer is gone, as expected, so we know the Master Browser updated itself, BUT also notice part of the R7000 is missing, the device itself. Compare this file with the one above. It is the GATEWAY... but what is ODD is that it is NOW back a few minutes later?

As for the Master Browser I found this link, https://scottiestech.info/2009/02/14/how-to-determine-the-master-browser-in-a-windows-workgroup/ and from it:

==================

Now, what happens when you have Network Neighborhood turning up blank on you sporadically, or possibly missing several of the computers on your LAN from time to time? Well, in that case, you need to determine who is the Master Browser so that you can narrow down the problem to one computer and see if maybe you need an updated ethernet driver, or there are firewall problems, or whatever.

The “fun” way of doing this is with DOS commands. Here’s how you’d do it:

1. Open up a command prompt
  2. Type net view and hit enter
  3. Look at the list of computer names. These are the computers on your LAN. Note that the format is \\COMPUTER-NAME like I talked about above.
  4. For each name in the list, type the following command: nbtstat -a COMPUTER-NAME

============

That doesn't seem to work?

Tried that:

================

C:\>net view
Server Name            Remark

-----------------------------------------------------------
\\IRV8700              Irv's 8700
\\LARAINE-XPS8500
\\READYSHARE           readyshare
The command completed successfully.

C:\>nbtstat -a IRV8700

Ethernet:

Host not found.

Host not found.

C:\>nbtstat -a LARAINE-XPS8500

Ethernet:

LARAINE-XPS8500<00>  UNIQUE      Registered
    LARAINE-XPS8500<20>  UNIQUE      Registered

MAC Address = 08-BD-43-A5-8C-AA

Host not found.

C:\>
C:\>nbtstat -a READYSHARE

Ethernet:

Host not found.

==================

Something REALLY screwy here?

However when I use the -n on the command to show NETBIOS names, I see it on my PC?

===========

C:\>nbtstat -n

Ethernet:

NetBIOS Local Name Table

IRV8700        <20>  UNIQUE      Registered
    IRV8700        <00>  UNIQUE      Registered

No names in cache

=============

Odd?

Message 40 of 80
EruvWeather
Apprentice

Here are some of my results ...

System error 1231 has occurred.

The network location cannot be reached. For information about network troubleshooting, see Windows Help.

C:\>nbtstat -a READYSHARE

Ethernet 2:
Node IpAddress: [192.168.1.15] Scope Id: []

WORKGROUP      <00>  GROUP       Registered
    WORKGROUP      <1D>  UNIQUE      Registered
    WORKGROUP      <1E>  GROUP       Registered

NOTE: Looks like the router/READYSHARE is the master browser ...

Host not found.

Wi-Fi:

Host not found.

Local Area Connection* 2:

Host not found.

WIN7 system on my network:

C:\>nbtstat -a XPS15USCJ

Ethernet 2:

XPS15USCJ      <00>  UNIQUE      Registered
    XPS15USCJ      <20>  UNIQUE      Registered

MAC Address = REDACTED

Host not found.

Wi-Fi:

Host not found.

Host not found.

ROUTER (The device name in the router admin interface is R7000)

C:\>nbtstat -a R7000

Ethernet 2:

Host not found. COULD THERE BE AN ISSUE THAT THE READYSHARE DRIVE AND NOT THE ROUTER IS THE MASTER BROWSER?

Host not found.

Wi-Fi:

Host not found.

Host not found.

THE OTHER WIN10 system on my network:

C:\>nbtstat -a DISCOVERY

Ethernet 2:

DISCOVERY      <20>  UNIQUE      Registered
    DISCOVERY      <00>  UNIQUE      Registered

MAC Address = REDACTED

Host not found.

Wi-Fi:

Host not found.

Host not found.

C:\>nbtstat -n

Ethernet 2:

NetBIOS Local Name Table

INS7353USCJ    <20>  UNIQUE      Registered
    INS7353USCJ    <00>  UNIQUE      Registered

No names in cache

Wi-Fi:

No names in cache

No names in cache

C:\>

Message 41 of 80
IrvSp
Master

@@EruvWeather, see, the READYSHARE which is the router, IS NOT the MASTER BROWSER as I read it? 192.168.1.15 is, which is your PC's IP Address. Same thing happens in mine:

C:\Users\ispal_000>nbtstat -a irv8700

Ethernet:

Host not found.

Host not found.

C:\Users\ispal_000>nbtstat -a readyshare

Ethernet:

I think possibly the Router IS the BACKUP MASTER BROWSER and when you try to discover it, it points to the real Master as it is the BACKUP?

On a side note, again, last night before SHUTDOWN NEW VIEW was working FINE. This morning, my PC was the first booted (and the one I got the above data from) and NET VIEW returns the 1231 error.

Quite possibly this is a problem as I suspect since my PC was the MASTER BROWSER when I shutdown. From what I've read, then the BACKUP, the R7000 (not sure what happens and who would be the MASTER BROWSER if there was no READYSHARE enabled?) should have become the MASTER BROWSER. Now once my (or my wife's PC or any of the other 2 we have which are rarely used) PC powers up it should become the MASTER BROWSER and the R7000 then goes into BACKUP mode. The LIST of shares of course should have been transferred though. Maybe the R7000 didn't sent the list to my PC OR W10 didn't ask for it or possibly process it properly. I think the support for it being an R7000 problem is because if I REBOOT the R7000 then NET VIEW works again? Further 'proof' that is might be the R7000 is because IF the REBOOT of the R7000 when it comes up 'notifies' the W10 PC that something was added to the NETWORK and then NET VIEW works might indicate a W10 problem. That is debunked though because IF I turn on the printer, which as you can see from one of my above screen captures, it shows on the Network, BUT doing that DOES NOT make NET VIEW work when the R7000 is on.

BTW, another thought here on why others DO NOT have this problem! Maybe READYSHARE must be ENABLED to have this happen? I think I did try once with READYSHARE not enabled and I still had the problem? But the fields were still filled in on the Browser. Could be the firmware doesn't look for the 'enabled' but the memory area where the READYSHARE data resides to be blank?

Bottom line, the worked FINE before (but I can't state when it went bad). A few firmware updates have been made recently, and it seems going back doesn't cure it either? I updated on 10/18/2017 to the 1709 W10 version, but I'm pretty sure it was working after that?

I guess unless there is a FIX for this, and IF Netgear even acknowledges this is a problem, or a W10 update fixes this, we'll never know who is the culprit.

Still surprised no other reports of this, especially with different routers? I may try putting on DD-WRT again, but I wasn't happy with it last time and took it off within a week or two? My gut feel is this is a Netgear problem though.

Message 42 of 80
IrvSp
Master

@EruvWeather, @TheEther, I'm not sure if I'm finding more answers or adding to the confusion on 'who' is the Master Browser.

One last point before I start explaining. My wife turned on her PC, NET VIEW there gets the error 1231 as well.

Ok, I decided to look closer at NBTSTAT and its various forms of parameter. From my CMD prompt on my PC, 192.168.1.30 (IRV8700).

=============

C:\>nbtstat -a irv8700

Ethernet:

Host not found.

Host not found.

C:\>nbtstat -a 192.168.1.30

Ethernet:

Host not found.

Host not found.

C:\>nbtstat -c

Ethernet:

NetBIOS Remote Cache Name Table

Name              Type       Host Address    Life [sec]
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    READYSHARE     <20>  UNIQUE          192.168.1.1         464

No names in cache

===============

The -a is  (adapter status) Lists the remote machine's name table given its name.

Using after -a both irv8700 and 192.168.1.30 yield the same results... good...

However, using -c,  (cache),  Lists NBT's cache of remote [machine] names and their IP addresses, points to READYSHARE?

According to https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc961857.aspx  there is some information that might explain some stuff... first is this:

-R Purges the name cache and reloads all #PRE entries from LMHosts.

Problem, I don't have a LMHosts file. Do have the LMHosts.sam (sample file) though. I think this missing file is what is causing the 'Host not found.' message.

Secondly, on that page :

<01><02>MSBROWSE<02><01>

Used by master browser servers to periodically announce their domain on a local subnet. This announcement contains the domain name and the name of the master browser server for the domain. In addition, master browser servers receive the domain announcements sent to this name and maintain them in their internal browse list with the announcer's computer name.

Well, look at this:

================

Ethernet:

Host not found.

==============

What am I looking at? READYSHARE is the Router, no? I get the same output with -A 192.168.1.1? Is that pointing to MY PC (192.168.1.30)?

However LMHosts isn't really needed it seems, worst case you can't resolve and IP Address to a name it seems?

So that I think was that when my PC was booted it never got the Master Browser List from the Router OR when I shutdown last night the Router did NOT take over the Master Browser Function, OR if it did, it didn't get the List, but it would have to IF it was the backup as it already had the list?  Does that make sense?

Also, what happens where there are 2 Windows PC's each trying to become the Master Browser? Could there be a situation where the Router was the Master Browser when no PC's were on-line? Then my PC comes on-line and becomes the MB and the Router the backup. Then wife's PC comes on, becomes the MB and my PC is the backup, with the router out of the question? Once both off, the Router is still not the MB (firmware bug that it didn't know the MB was gone as well as the backup?). Of course all this doesn't explain WHY the NEW VIEW command would work again once the Router was rebooted?

Message 43 of 80
TheEther
Guru

It's getting a little difficult to follow this thread. Given that there are tons on threads on Microsoft indicating problems with the master browser functionality in W10, and assuming that those people probably don't have Netgear routers, I think one can argue that this isn't entirely a Netgear problem. That's not to say that Netgear could have problems with its Windows file sharing implementation, just that it's not the sole culprit.

FWIW, here's one more thread I found. Look at the bottom for a suggestion to re-enable SMB1. If you are comfortable with the security vulnerabilities, then this may be a solution:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1add7d03-2bc0-4d1e-9248-fef090d9ba0e/anyone-else-n...
Message 44 of 80
IrvSp
Master

@TheEther, funny, before looking at your reply I was just reading that one.

Different situation. First on 1703, not 1709. Secondly, it had to do with an Android device that needed SMB 1 and problem connecting (not running NET VIEW) from a non-Windows device.

I've searched all over. No real hits... when I find one that seems promising it has a different error code/message or clearly is very old or like the one above, referencing specific non-windows h/w.

I don't doubt for a minute that Win10 1703 had some problems, and I'd have expected those to be fixed in 1709. The mere fact that it works at some point and then fails leads me to beleive it is more transient on something changing within the LAN. Either the MB isn't doing its job and updating, the backup isn't becoming the MB, or some other oddity. I also KNOW it was working for me on 12/23/17 as that was the last time I transferred over my system backup to the USB drive. It appears to me by looking at the creation date of my stored NG Firmware folders the following day I installed V1.0.9.14! Was on V1.0.9.12 before that. However I recall going back as a test to V1.0.9.12 and it didn't fix it?

Message 45 of 80
TheEther
Guru

I don't have a lot of faith that this is fixed in 1709, given the earlier threads that suggested that Microsoft is moving away from the master browser, and given that Microsoft doesn't have a great track record of fixing things in a timely manner.

It might be too much work, but if you have a spare router (preferably a different brand), that could help eliminate Netgear as a factor. Or maybe run DD-WRT as you were considering.

If you have a spare switch, you could try removing the router altogether. You would need to switch to static IP addresses on your PCs.

It depends on how far you want to take this. Or maybe just abandon NET VIEW/Network Neighborhood, and start mapping drives or use fully specified UNC paths (i.e. \\servername\...).
Message 46 of 80
IrvSp
Master

I do have 2 other routers here, both with USB ports. A LinkSys 350N V1 and a ASUS RT-N56U. Both are only up to N speed. Not sure I want to go to the trouble changing over. I'm sure it would prove this one way or the other, but still, if I can't get NETGEAR SUPPORT to see it, I suspect it would be a waste of time.

Putting on another 3rd party flash might be the easier way, but in my mind I'm thinking there could be a problem with that. I've seen too many reports here from people with problems with the recent firmware almost all with different solutions that worked for them but not others. There are so many 'options' each person can make in setting up the router who really knows if/how any interact with others? How big a problem is causes by not rebooting the router from a power off state after flashing or even the need to do the 30-30-30 reset? Not to mention the variety of devices and drivers for those that can connect.

Even in this case, we really don't know the root cause? Windows? Firmware? USB drive even? A combination? All we know is that it worked at one point but not now. We also can't find anyone on the web that has the exact same problem on W10 1709, using a router with a USB port being used... and other than @EruvWeather here, no one. I'm sure others have routers that have USB ports and use NET VIEW with it? Why no reports from them? Netgear only? Not on Windows 10 1703 or higher?

At this time, unless I can find the smoking gun I might be done with this? It is clear to me that probably me and EruvWeather are isolated cases on this.

Message 47 of 80
IrvSp
Master

Still looking at this, might be wasting my time however. There are somethings that just don't make sense? The NEW VIEW has an oddity.

I issue the command on MY PC (192.168.1.30, name IRV8700) and get this:

System error 1231 has occurred.
The network location cannot be reached. For information about network troubleshooting, see Windows Help.

OK, I know 'readyshare' exists so I do this:

C:\>net view \\readyshare
System error 53 has occurred.
The network path was not found.

Odd? I use the router's IP Address:

C:\>net view \\192.168.1.1
Shared resources at \\192.168.1.1
readyshare
Share name   Type  Used as  Comment
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Movies       Disk           read:all-no password;write:all-no password
USB_Storage  Disk           read:admin;write:admin

Let me try readyshare again:

C:\>net view \\readyshare
Shared resources at \\readyshare
readyshare
Share name   Type  Used as  Comment
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Movies       Disk           read:all-no password;write:all-no password
USB_Storage  Disk           read:admin;write:admin

What, it worked? SOMETHING had to have updated the MB, no? Who's to blame here?

Shortlived expectation, NET VIEW still fails with 1231, so was the MB updated or not?

Windows Explorer and Explorer++ both will show everything (on both operating PC's that are on) BUT the readyshare? However one can specify it via \\readyshare or NET USE x: readyshare and use it as a drive letter? What code is run on those programs and commands that it can find it but NET VIEW can't? In this case I'd think it was NEW VIEW code that is the problem, but then again, it might be processing a list that the MB keeps, which should be on the Router, or sent to a PC by the router.

More info is that after a period of time the DLNA Server doesn't operate on the R7000 but the Samba server did? This again could be an R7000 problem or a network problem based on IP Address resolution, again, in Windows or the R7000.

Message 48 of 80
EruvWeather
Apprentice

Irv ... I feel your pain! There is something wonky going on with certain W10 systems. No question. The question is what. There are other people reporting similar problems, just not specific to or blamed on the R7000. As I've said, if I open Windows Explore, click on "readylink" shortcut I created in "quick access" (so I don't have the type the address each time) ... if I click right away, Windows throws an error that the address is not reachable. Wait 30 seconds. There it is. As long as explorer stays open, there it is. If I close explorer, and open again after a certain amount of time - then it is rinse and repeat.

Message 49 of 80
IrvSp
Master

@EruvWeather, your reply made me search Google again with different variants of W10, 1709, Master Browser, Explorer, missing shares.

Much to my amazement I found these:

https://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/95731-sharing-not-working-correctly-after-fall-creators-up...

Indicates this IS broken in 1703.

https://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/85283-1703-master-browser-smb-broke-again.html

Another interesting one and SYS mentions he has a NG Nighthawk! Also note he was using Workgroup, NOT Homegroup. I am NOT using Homegroup either? Also his 'fix' is to use a flashdrive in the USB port, would not a USB drive be just as good?

https://partnersupport.microsoft.com/en-us/par_clientsol/forum/par_win/since-win10-creators-update-u...

Promising but NET VIEW complains a SERVICE is not started on 1709, not our problem.

https://appuals.com/fix-cannot-access-network-shares-after-update-1709/

Interesting one in that it claims it isn't working at all in 1709 without making changes. However, 2 things are different for us, we do not get the error it shows, and it DOES work for some period of time.

https://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/87424-creators-update-destroyed-network-discovery-wired-la...

Interesting, on 1703, but it says putting a USB the router, shutdown all PC, reboot the router and IT will be the Master Browser. If so, and the problem continued to 1709, then the problem could very well be within the firmware on the R7000.

However, NONE of the above are a 100% match. In that none mention it would  work and then wouldn't, nor get the 1231 error.

Message 50 of 80
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 79 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7