Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problems after Firmware Version V1.0.6.28_1.1.83 Update

milton_mike
Aspirant

Re: Problems after Firmware Version V1.0.6.28_1.1.83 Update

I deleted the port forwarding items and the reserved IP entry, then rebooted and it's still not working properly.
Message 26 of 56
lgbainbridge
Tutor

This is a confirmed (by me) fix.  

1. Update to v1.06.28_1.1.83
  2. Login to router
  3. Click "Advanced" tab at top of page
  4. Click on "Administration" on left of page
  5. click "Backup Settings"
  6. locate "Revert to factory default settings" and click "Erase"  

7. unfortunately then you HAVE to re-input all settings by hand

**remember to diable uPnP if it was disabled (more secure) as well os any other security settings you had.

Also you will now have an ARLO wireless signal which you should disable unless you are using.

This is confimed to work as it fixed ALL my issues and lack of 2.4 Ghz.  

Message 27 of 56
lgbainbridge
Tutor

This is a confirmed (by me) fix.  

2. Login to router

**remember to diable uPnP if it was disabled (more secure) as well os any other security settings you had.

Also you will now have an ARLO wireless signal which you should disable unless you are using.

Message 28 of 56
lgbainbridge
Tutor

ERRORS FIXED

2. Login to router

Message 29 of 56
lgbainbridge
Tutor

Steps to fix "update" issues

2. Login to router

Message 30 of 56
lgbainbridge
Tutor

This corrected all my issues...unfortunately had to fix by hand versus saving my many port/router settings.

2. Login to router

Message 31 of 56
lgbainbridge
Tutor

This worked for my 2Ghz issues

2. Login to router

Message 32 of 56
lgbainbridge
Tutor

This worked to fix my issues...may work for you.  My uPnP settings had no effect on my 2 Ghz though??

2. Login to router

Message 33 of 56
lgbainbridge
Tutor

this solved my issues

2. Login to router

Message 34 of 56
lgbainbridge
Tutor

this restored my 2.4 Ghz..not ideal but it does work.

2. Login to router

Message 35 of 56
lgbainbridge
Tutor

Confimed to work on my network:

2. Login to router

Message 36 of 56
lgbainbridge
Tutor

confirmed to work...unfortunately it requires manual reset and re-entry of settings

2. Login to router

Message 37 of 56
lgbainbridge
Tutor

yep that did the trick

ERRORS FIXED

2. Login to router

Message 38 of 56
lgbainbridge
Tutor

here is what i can confirm to work:

2. Login to router

Message 39 of 56
lgbainbridge
Tutor

This worked for me...no matter if you have port forwarding set or not you need to re-set (to factory settings) in order so your router works with the 2.4 Ghz range....

ERRORS FIXED

2. Login to router

Message 40 of 56
senecan
Guide

@JamesGL wrote:

Hi senecan,

You can try the back up settings to reloaded after the update and reset but if issue still happens it suggested to manually reconfigure the router after the update and reset.

Ok, now I appreciate that you took the time to respond, but you have pretty much told me nothing.  I think restoring the backup is something that should have been tested and fixed before you went ahead with this firmware update release.  This router is (well was at the time of purchase) a premium product and I don't expect to be put in this position.  Your suggestion to "hey, try it" does nothing to help me avoid re-configuring and leaves me with little confidence - how long before the next incompatible update?

It's clear you just don't know if it will work, and subsequent messages suggest it won't.  I need to be up to date with firmware updates as you fix vulnerabilities you missed in previous firmware versions.

So if I'm manually re-entering my configuration I think I have to do that with a new router/new supplier.  I'm actually shocked that you punt out an incompatible update that borks 2.4GHz for so many people, break the backup/restore feature and then have no suggestion to avoid forcing me to start again with my complex configuration.  Even accepting that sometimes you might have to push an imcompatible update it really is a simple software issue to support the existing backup/restore.

Message 41 of 56
senecan
Guide

Just to follow up - I haven't upgraded and have ordered an alternate router from another manufacturer.  This is a Netgear forum and I'm not going to stoop to discuss the replacement or make comparisons, but I'm bailing on Netgear.

This is feedback for Netgear and my final word on the matter - take it or leave it frankly.  You need to fix vulnerabilities with firmware updates, I expect that.  I imagine under extreme circumstances you might need a router reset to factory.  But you have to have a better solution than "start again from scratch" with my router config when that happens.  And you need to know what will or won't work afterwards.  you need to TEST first, in other words.  (And as far as I can see the "benefit" of this upgrade is Arlo support - that's a bit vulgar tbh, I bought a ROUTER and I need it to be a ROUTER not an opportunity for you to upsell.)

Or maybe I'm just one customer you can live without.  I guess it's a strategy to compete on price and not as a premium marque.

Incidentally I discovered a couple of other corrupted port forwarding rules - inexplicably all the range-based ports had been mapped to lower range external -> upper range internal.  (Eg my custome SFTP data ports 51000 - 51100 became 51000 external to 51100 internal, single port).  I had a few of these range entries and all of them were out, and I'm 99% sure this happened with previous firmware upgrade.  I appreciate that's anecdotal but ask yourself if my suspicions are the result of a lack of trust in your ability to test this stuff...

Message 42 of 56
ender2003
Tutor

When I loaded firmware 1.0.6.23_1.1.83 on my Nighthawk R7000, it automatically enabled ARLO on my network. I don't own any ARLO devices and will never use it, but this firmware created a brand new SSID on my router that broadcast on the SAME CHANNEL as my 2.4 Ghz network. For a networking company, this really makes me question the technical knowledge of the engineers at Netgear.

When the ARLO SSID popped up on my network, it totally killed my 2.4Ghz network because it was on the same channel. The interference made my connection to my normal SSID drop out every couple of seconds. It wasn't until I opened up a Wifi scanner that I noticed the new SSID. When I updated the firmware, I did not see any alerts that the new SSID would be set up and enabled. Looking at the Genie settings, I was unable to find the ARLO setting to turn it off. It wasn't until I logged in to the web interface of the router (isn't the Genie software supposed to make it so we don't have to do this?) that I saw the setting to turn off ARLO.

Why in the world would a networking company do something so asinine? This is making me question my purchase of this router.

And, I just noticed that the firmware update also enabled Genie Media Server, again without my input. So I have to go look for the setting to disable this as well. How about when new features like these are added, we are given a choice as to whether we want them enabled?

Message 43 of 56
JamesGL
Master

Hi ender2003,

The features added are enabled by default but you have an option to disable it. For any suggestions you may post it in idea exchange board.

Message 44 of 56
bayhuntr
Tutor

Son of a gun!!  (  <---I'm ot saying what I'm realy thinking)  None of my port forwarding is working, and I have a bunch.  I've searched under every posible combination of words and this is the first time I've read anything about it. I wasted a full day yearterday and it was beutiful day out side!  Thank you, at least now I have a directing to start looking and trying.

Message 45 of 56
Lizkh
Aspirant

Will turning off arlo fix the V1.0.6.28_1.1.83 update issue of constantly losing internet connection?

I have read to downgrade in order to fix also.

Downgrade to what?  I have read downgrad to firmware version 1.0.4.28_1.1.64 and Version 1.0.4.30.

Which one?

What a PITA

Message 46 of 56
bayhuntr
Tutor

I checked the port forwarding, yep, all scrambled.  Not just the port numbers, but the IP's were scrambled also.  Remove and reentered them from my spread sheet (I think myself for the good records!) and everything is working again!  ...as far as far as ai know.  

Now why would I expect an update, done through the wizard, to have such an important requirement?  Netgear, this is a bit incompetent.

Now I will go looking for those other things that need to be turned off.  Again, thanks senecan! 

Message 47 of 56
senecan
Guide

So my Nighthawk is in my museum of expensive mistakes just now (my attic); I just want to wish the rest of you the best with this.  My port forwarding rules were more scrambled than I first thought and a number of them were incorrect IP as bayhuntr also found - I only discovered when I came to be entering those rules from scratch on my new router.  Cosmic rays or a previous firmware calamity - ask yourselves which is more likely given the recent apparent lack of testing and the foisting of Arlo on you.  You might also like to ask why Arlo is on by default, given the fact it causes MAJOR issues with your regular 2.4GHz network and this on an upgrade to a product that pre-dated Arlo.  It's not good enough to be able to turn it off, IMHO - it should be OFF from the outset.

At some point now that there is no consequence to me I might try performing the update, factory resetting and then restoring from backup just to see if it works as feedback for you guys struggling with this.  If not - as suggested previously - it means Netgear pushed this update and broke the backup file support, leaving you all with absolutely no option but to upgrade and start again from scratch.  And my sense of having dodged a bullet by bailing will be all the greater!

Just as an aside, as we're all aware there's a physical limit to the amount of port forwarding/address reservation settings the Nighthawk can hold.  How happy will you be if the additional and unrequested Arlo support reduces that capacity?

Message 48 of 56
JamesGL
Master

Hi senecan,

This firmware version was removed from support site.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Nighthawk-R7000-Router-Firmware/m-p/1047799#...

If any of you guys wants to try the beta firmware, you may check the link below.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-2-4ghz-not-working-but-5ghz-is-fine/m-...

Message 49 of 56
ender2003
Tutor

I thought that the 1.0.6.28 version that everyone installed was a beta version... would explain all the problems.

Is there any info about what that beta version is supposed to fix? Oh, dropping firmware into Dropbox? I'm sorry, I thought I was dealing with a professional company.

Sorry for dripping sarcasm everywhere, my coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

Message 50 of 56
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7