Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

QOS impacts on SpeedTest results on R7000P

joejoeinc
Apprentice

QOS impacts on SpeedTest results on R7000P

I've recently been having some WAN speed issues with my R7000P. I use cable 100mbps broadband and regular speed tests been giving results of 4-20Mbps. 

After removing the router completely and plugging my laptop directly into the cable modem I found the speed jumped up to 40-50Mbps.

Next test was to disable QOS on the router and reboot everything and try again. Now I'm getting 50-93Mbps speed test results.  (I also replaced the patch lead with a metal shielded CAT 6 cable between the cable modem and the R7000P.  

All tests are only performed with a wired connection (to remove any Wi-Fi issues) 

Does QOS really have that much of an impact on speedtest results? 

Also after disabling QOS I can no longer run speedtests from the r7000P router web interface which is quite annoying. Testing from the Nighthawk App on the phone shows around 43-80 Mbps right now 

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
joejoeinc
Apprentice

Re: QOS impacts on SpeedTest results on R7000P

I'm coming back to this issue after switching internet technologies. 

In my previous post I was using Optus cable with supposedly 100MB down and 2 Mbit up. In the actual real world it was more like 3-6 mbit down and .5 -.1 Mbit upload. There is no way that QOS is going to have any kind of real impact on this.  QOS would have struggled to do anything and probably just made things worse off. 

Since switching to NBN and using a proper 100Mbit download / 20 Mbit upload the I've turned the QOS back on and the impact has been much better. I can speed test with the  QOS on and my laptop will still reach 99mbit down and 19 bit up. everything just seems to work smoother now even with QOS on. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
joejoeinc
Apprentice

In my previous post I was using Optus cable with supposedly 100MB down and 2 Mbit up. In the actual real world it was more like 3-6 mbit down and .5 -.1 Mbit upload. There is no way that QOS is going to have any kind of real impact on this.  QOS would have struggled to do anything and probably just made things worse off. 

Since switching to NBN and using a proper 100Mbit download / 20 Mbit upload the I've turned the QOS back on and the impact has been much better. I can speed test with the  QOS on and my laptop will still reach 99mbit down and 19 bit up. everything just seems to work smoother now even with QOS on. 

Message 2 of 3
rinthos
Luminary

c@joejoeinc wrote:

Congrats on the internet upgrade! 🙂  

For QoS just be aware that it will QoS based on the speeds set on the QoS menu.  So if you run Speedtest from the Router QoS menu, it should set QoS policies based on that. Anytime you upgrade your internet speed, make sure you run the QoS speedtest on your router menu again (OR manually enter your speeds).

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7