Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: QoS is gone -- no way to give cloud security cam highest upload priority

duckware
Prodigy

QoS is gone -- no way to give cloud security cam highest upload priority

Upload QoS is gone, after being in Netgear routers for a VERY long time.  That feature has been removed.  Netgear support could care less.  Their response is 'so, that is just the way it now is'.

I need to give a device (by MAC address, or otherwise) highest upload priority, but can not with Netgear routers.  Anyone have any suggestions for alternatives?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Hi duckware,

If QoS is enabled, go to attached devices. Select on the device and select priority.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 9

All Replies
duckware
Prodigy

no, gone.  Dynamic DNS, or nothing.

Message 2 of 9
duckware
Prodigy

oh, oh.  Fingers typed something other than what the head was thinking: "Dynamic QoS"

Message 3 of 9
duckware
Prodigy

V1.0.2.40.  Netgear support said to try 1.0.2.32 and that made no difference.

Found out that online Netgear articles on upload QoS have a sidebar on the right as to what routers the article applies to, which excludes the R7800

Message 4 of 9
JamesGL
Master

Hi duckware,

If QoS is enabled, go to attached devices. Select on the device and select priority.

Message 5 of 9
duckware
Prodigy

JamesGL, thanks!  If I set to "highest" will the router retain that setting?  Another comment suggests that it will not?

(and thank you, since Netgear technical support could not answer this QoS question)

Also, Netgear is missing a huge new explosive segment of the market: Clould Security Cameras (Ring, Nest, and many others -- literally millions of cams have already been sold).  The R7800 Automatic QoS failed to recognize my cam giving it "Low" priority, which is absolutely the wrong thing to do.  Cloud security cams require anywhere from 1Mbps to 4Mbps upload bandwidth, and if they don't get that, the video will not get recorded into the cloud!

Will you pass this along and make sure that the Netgear Automatic QoS database gets updated to fully support Ring/Nest/etc cams (recognizes them and defaults to "highest" priority)?

Message 6 of 9
JamesGL
Master

Hi duckware,

But can you configure those devices manually to set the priority to Highest?

Message 7 of 9
duckware
Prodigy

Yes, "If QoS is enabled, go to attached devices. Select on the device and select priority" seems to work (keeps priority on device set to highest).  I assume/hope that internally it really is setting (upload) priority to highest.  Is it?

Message 8 of 9
duckware
Prodigy

Using firmware V1.0.2.40, I went into attached devices, clicked on my device, clicked on "Device Type", clicked on "Highest" and that worked for me across power cycles.

BUT, I also have assigned a fixed ip address to the device (advanced / setup / lan), so maybe that helps?

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7