Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Questions about bridging my ISP's Pace Gateway

Roberteddy
Aspirant

Questions about bridging my ISP's Pace Gateway

Hi. I'd search this, but I'm not sure what to search for. I am by no means a networking guru. So this might make me sound like an idiot.

I bought the R7000 to solve a problem with having two xbox one consoles on our home network. Our ISP provides a Pace 5168N gateway.

So far, this is what I've done:

- Plugged the R7000 into the Pace's port 1.
- Configured Port 1 as DMZ Plus
- Moved all wired ethernet connections to the R7000
- Disabled firewall on Pace gateway

Things seem to be working fine. But I have not disabled DHCP on the Pace gateway. Should I or should I not?
I could call our ISP tech support but they get snotty when they hear you're running equipment other than what they provide. (which is absolute junk)

The other question is, if I disable DHCP on the Pace gateway, do I then need to set up DHCP on the R7000? Or will it just take over those duties automatically?
This router is pretty amazing and seems able to just figure things out all on its own, but I want this set up properly, and that's why I'm asking.

Thanks in advance.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Questions about bridging my ISP's Pace Gateway

Your setup looks fine.  Like I said, leave DHCP enabled on the Pace.  Even though you have nothing else plugged into it besides the R7000, if you turn off DHCP on the Pace, your R7000 won't get an Internet IP address and it will stop working.  

The Pace's DHCP assigns addresses to devices directly connected to it.  Likewise with the R7000.  They are independent and do not conflict with each other. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Ideally the Pace is in "Bridge Mode" and the r7000 is in router mode. OR   Leave Pace in router mode and use the r7000 as AP in AP MODE.

What was the reason for buying the r7000? Was it for WIFI coverage or routing?

Message 2 of 9
TheEther
Guru

The Pace does not have a true bridge mode.  DMZ Plus is a pseudo-bridge mode.  It works by sharing the public IP address with another device (the R7000).  The Pace continues to operate as a router but will work out which traffic should go to the R7000 un-NAT-ed and which should go to other devices, like set-top boxes, connected to the Pace. 

You should leave DHCP enabled on the Pace.   Otherwise, the R7000 will not obtain an IP address on its Internet port.  DHCP on the R7000's LAN is completely separate and should be left on, too.

Message 3 of 9
Roberteddy
Aspirant

I got the R7000 primarily because we have two xbox one consoles on a DSL line. Nothing we tried with the Pace junk worked when both consoles were playing online multiplayer.

The wifi was an issue yes, but I've disabled wifi on the Pace and it's a lot better now.

Message 4 of 9
Roberteddy
Aspirant

So Ether, you're saying I should leave it the way I have it now? Our TV is Bell Satellite. The only thing we use the ISP for is internet. 
Both consoles and one PC are wired connections, which are plugged into the R7000. I've got the R7000 in Port 1 on the Pace, in DMZ Plus.

It worked right off the bat, but I was wondering if DHCP on both the R7000 and the Pace would cause conflicts.

Message 5 of 9
Roberteddy
Aspirant

I guess I should have included the details as to just how our network is set up.

Most devices are wireless. 3 cell phones, a couple of laptops, and an iPad.

Wired devices are the two consoles and one PC.

There is nothing plugged into the Pace except the R7000. As mentioned previously, all wired connections are on the R7000. (3 devices)

We got rid of our landline phone, so the Pace isn't even being used for that. So I guess what you're saying is that it doesn't matter if DHCP is enabled on the Pace or not, because there's nothing connected to it outside of the DMZ.

Wifi is being handled by the R7000. (the Pace has pathetic wifi. R7000 is far far better.)

Message 6 of 9
TheEther
Guru

Your setup looks fine.  Like I said, leave DHCP enabled on the Pace.  Even though you have nothing else plugged into it besides the R7000, if you turn off DHCP on the Pace, your R7000 won't get an Internet IP address and it will stop working.  

The Pace's DHCP assigns addresses to devices directly connected to it.  Likewise with the R7000.  They are independent and do not conflict with each other. 

Message 7 of 9
Roberteddy
Aspirant

Thank you!

I think I screwed up. I wanted to give you creds for the solution, so I clicked your last response. Then got a popup notifying me that I had accepted my own reply as "solution".

Hope it doesn't matter, but you both helped me sort this out. Thanks again.

Message 8 of 9
TheEther
Guru

Looks like I got credit.  Thanks and I'm glad to be of help.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7