Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6080 can't connect to 5G on computer

Please_HelpMe
Aspirant

R6080 can't connect to 5G on computer

I don't know correct terminology but I need help please. 

my computer and kindle are  connected to the internet by 2.4. 

My phone is connected by 5G. 

My kindle shows the 5G but says it's out of range - it's sitting next to my phone, 10 feet from the router. 

my computer does not even show the 5G but it was using 5G this morning. 

What is happening? 

how can I get the kindle and the computer on the 5G? thanks

Model: R6080|AC1000 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Re: R6080 can't connect to 5G on computer

@Please_HelpMe wrote:

My kindle shows the 5G but says it's out of range - it's sitting next to my phone, 10 feet from the router. 

That looks like a problem with the Kindle. Tell it to forget the connection to the R6080 and set it up again.

@Please_HelpMe wrote:

Again, look at the PC. If it can't see the 5G SSID, and you have confirmed that it is broadcasting, it is hard to see how the router is to blame.

How does the PC connect to the wifi? On-board chip? USB adapter?

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

Many questions apply to different types of device, so you might get responses here, but you might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

General WiFi Routers (Non-Nighthawk) - NETGEAR Communities

Message 2 of 3
Please_HelpMe
Aspirant

Re: R6080 can't connect to 5G on computer

That looks like a problem with the Kindle. Tell it to forget the connection to the R6080 and set it up again.

What does it mean when you tell a device to "forget" a connection?  I think I may have done that by accident with the 5G on my computer.  Now the computer does not show it.

@Please_HelpMe wrote:

Again, look at the PC. If it can't see the 5G SSID, and you have confirmed that it is broadcasting, it is hard to see how the router is to blame.

I'm not trying to place blame, I'm trying to figure out what happened and how to fix it.  I callled Spectrum and they couldn't help, so I'm trying here.

How does the PC connect to the wifi? On-board chip? USB adapter?

I have no idea.  I don't understand what you're asking.

What firmware version do you have on the device?

I have no idea what firmware is or how to find it..

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

thanks for trying to help me

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7