Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6220 DNLA missing

HavinFunCO
Aspirant

R6220 DNLA missing

Does anyone "official" know what happened to the DNLA feature?  My docs show it should be available, but I don't see it.  If the fuction was removed due to security flaws, that's fine.  Is there a model that still supports it?  I was trying to remove the process from my PC and use the router as the media server when I discovered it wasn't in the menu.

Please - No complaints on this topic - just verified answers if anyone has it.  No need to kick the NG Support or Programmers.  What ever is going on is likely a directive out of their control.

Model: R6220|AC1200 Smart WiFi Router with External Antennas
Message 1 of 8
microchip8
Master

Re: R6220 DNLA missing

NETGEAR is slowly removing DLNA and some other features to make space for Armor as they can cash on it. Better get a dedicated NAS

Message 2 of 8
HavinFunCO
Aspirant

If you are in-the-know, that's fine.  If this is just speculation, I'm not seeking that.

Thanks for the responce. 

Message 3 of 8

@HavinFunCO wrote:

If you are in-the-know, that's fine.  If this is just speculation, I'm not seeking that.

You have been given an accurate answer. That answer says things that Netgear may not confirm. They are true.

By all means read all of the release notes for the firmware for the R6220 . Eventually you will find the one that removes this feature.

You should know that this community is essentially a user-to-user venue with some input from a small band of Netgear techies.

Most of the answers come from fellow users who have no connection with Netgear. They just have a lot of collective experience and are familiar with the sort of problems that turn up here.

If you want "official" support then you should go through the right channels.

Contact Us | Support | NETGEAR

Message 4 of 8
microchip8
Master

@HavinFunCO wrote:

Thanks for the responce. 

it's not speculation, but the truth. NETGEAR has been removing DLNA from various models over the months to make place for Armor as there's not enough storage on the routers to integrate it so something has to go

Message 5 of 8

@microchip8 wrote:

NETGEAR has been removing DLNA from various models over the months to make place for Armor as there's not enough storage on the routers to integrate it so something has to go

Don't forget Circle, another money making add-on that needs storage space.

It might also be worth pointing out that the R6220 is a pretty basic router, near the bottom of Netgear's range. Not powerful enough to warrant the Nighthawk tag.

Message 6 of 8
plemans
Guru

I went through 3 years of release notes on the R6220 and didn't see any mention of it being removed. the devices I've seen it pulled from have something listed under the release notes. 

what issue are you having with it? 

Page 73 goes over setting it up. 

Also, my understanding of armor was the R6400v2 was roughly where they stopped adding it due to cpu/storage issues. The R6400v1 didn't make the cut due to those issues. 

If they didn't need to add it, maybe the R6220 still has dlna. 

Message 7 of 8
HavinFunCO
Aspirant

I use ROKU Media Server, and it sees my PC when I enable DLNA and share the files.  It doesn't see the netgear's share or the device.  Guess I'll work on the assumption that it just doesn't work.  I'd re-flash it with DD-WRT, but I didn't see this model listed.

Thanks for the feedback folks.

@plemans @michaelkenward @microchip8 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7