Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6260 devices can't get up after power cycle

bjdoty
Aspirant

R6260 devices can't get up after power cycle

Every time power goes off and on devices say can't get up and won't connect. I have 25 devices. I have to do a factory reset to fix it. Works until the next power cycle them have to reset again.
Model: R6260|AC1600 Smart WiFi Router Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 15

@bjdoty wrote:
Every time power goes off and on devices say can't get up and won't connect. I have 25 devices. I have to do a factory reset to fix it. Works until the next power cycle them have to reset again.

I have seen this before. It has nothing to do with the firmware, and I don't need a "factory reset".

What happens is that the modem takes so long to boot that the router times out before it can reestablish a link to Internet through the modem.

Next time this happens, don't reset, try this:

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 2 of 15
bjdoty
Aspirant

That is great, but my issue is my cameras. If I'm on vacation and power goes out and on, I can't connect to view my cameras. Have to wait until I get home to reset. Would I have this problem with a newer router maybe the ac2600?
Message 3 of 15
plemans
Guru

Or you could try getting a backup power supply so when the power does go it, it doesn't for the modem and the router. 

Message 4 of 15

@bjdoty wrote:
That is great, but my issue is my cameras.

First I would check that this is the issue. Should be easy enough to experiment while you are there to see what happens.

If so, look for solutions.

As @plemans says, it may be UPS, especially if you live somewhere that loses electricity often.

It may be a better modem. (You don't say what you own.) In my case I swapped out a DSL modem/router (D6400) in modem only mode in favour of a standalone modem (DM200).

@bjdoty wrote:
Would I have this problem with a newer router maybe the ac2600?

Who knows?The R6260 is pretty basic in Netgear terms.

But ac2600 isn't a router. Many devices come with an AC tag, but it is essentially a label that Netgear, and other brands, attach to hardware to describe wifi speeds.

Message 5 of 15
bjdoty
Aspirant

I have R6080 and R6260. I reset both to factory defaults, then set up only changing the ssid and password. If I power cycle the 6080, everything comes back up no problems. I have 25 devices, cameras, smart plugs, tvs, speakers, computers. Now if I cycle power to the 6260, my phone keeps saying can't get ip and my cameras are flashing led which means not connected. Sometimes my roku will connect though, but not all devices. I tried unplugging the modem and router and then starting the modern first, but that doesn't work. I started noticing problems after I updated to latest firmware couple weeks ago. Also if I log in to router it is red and says not connected to internet, but it always shows that even when it's working. Before the firmware update, I think it says good in green letters. I have cm400 modem. My old 6080 works great but it's only 100 speed and my modem is 1000. I can shut the whole house off and everything comes back up fine. I need the faster router though so I may just buy a new one. Note I also put old firmware back in 6260 and had same problems. I plan on getting more devices too so a new one may be best.
Message 6 of 15

@bjdoty wrote:
I have R6080 and R6260.

If you are running both on the same network, no wonder you have problems.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

But I am getting hopelessly confused here. (Easily done.) A steady drip of new details doesn't help.

@bjdoty wrote:
Now if I cycle power to the 6260, my phone keeps saying can't get ip and my cameras are flashing led which means not connected.

I cannot see how that relates to power cuts. But I am lost as to what is going on here.

Message 7 of 15
bjdoty
Aspirant

Sorry for the confusion this is the first time I posted on here I did not post much at first because I didn't know if anyone would even respond. I am not using both routers at the same time. I tested each router one at a time the main problem is on the new router when power is cycled my devices cannot get an IP address. on the old router, I can turn power off and on several times and all my devices connect just fine. That's why I am using the old router now but it's slower and less range.
Message 8 of 15

@bjdoty wrote:
I tested each router one at a time the main problem is on the new router when power is cycled my devices cannot get an IP address.

I'd work on fixing that. If you can mend it, then the power thing may well go away.

What firmware is on it?

The CM400 isn't the newest device around, but a modem doesn't have to do as much works as a router. It probably doesn't have much, if anything, to do with what you see.

Then again, you said earlier "my modem is 1000". Not according to the data sheet.

"The NETGEAR CM400 High Speed Cable Modem provides a connection to high-speed cable Internet with speeds up to 340 Mbps."

The LAN port may be Gigabit Ethernet, but it doesn't promise to deliver that from the Internet.

Message 9 of 15
bjdoty
Aspirant

R6260 has 1.1.0.78. I put that in couple weeks ago. It's the latest firmware. I thought modem was 1000 because when I plug in r6260 the light is green, but when I plug in the r6080 the light is yellow on both modem and router. I have 200 mbps internet, so I guess the cm400 is ok.
Message 10 of 15

@bjdoty wrote:
It's the latest firmware.

Not always the greatest! Did you have the same issue with old firmware?

@bjdoty wrote:
I have 200 mbps internet, so I guess the cm400 is ok.

Yes. Seems fine.

Remember, when playing around with different routers, you need to restart the whole network as specified.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 11 of 15
bjdoty
Aspirant

I decided to try 2 things at once. I loaded firmware xxxxx.64 in. Then I did factory reset and set up new router. Turned everything off. Then modem, router, each device. Working ok. Then I cycled power and nothing would connect again. I would rule out firmware. I wonder if because I have 25 devices. I got 5 cameras for Christmas. Smart plugs were already on there. I could do more troubleshooting, but I think i will get the cm500 and a newer router. It's very strange that my r6080 works fine though and does not have this problem when I cycle power. Maybe hardware issue. Thanks for your help. I did learn a few new things.
Message 12 of 15

@bjdoty wrote:
I would rule out firmware. I wonder if because I have 25 devices.

Getting near the limit.

How many clients can you connect wirelessly to a NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

and, to give you some idea of recent improvements.

How many devices can my Orbi system support? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

One thing you could try would be to use the R6080 in wireless access point mode connected to the R6260.

Message 13 of 15
bjdoty
Aspirant

I thought about orbi but my smart devices only work on 2.4 band and it's harder to set them up because phone may be on 5 band. It says to move away from router so phone switched to 2.4. seems like a hassle not being able to choose the band you want. Is this true do you know?
Message 14 of 15

@bjdoty wrote:
I thought about orbi but my smart devices only work on 2.4 band and it's harder to set them up because phone may be on 5 band.

Not all IoT stuff comes with badly written installation procedures.Arlo is fine, for example.

And there are ways around the issue. (Temporarily disable SSID broadcast in 5 GHz.)

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7