× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6350 AC1750 Slow Wifi Speeds

Jonathan2299
Follower

R6350 AC1750 Slow Wifi Speeds

I setup my R6350 router earlier today and I quickly noticed that the wifi speeds are greatly lower than the router that I was previously using. A laptop that was getting close to 100mbps with the older router(which was an AC1900 ASUS) was now getting about 30mbps. The ISP should be around 300mbps so I could understand if the speeds are lower due to it being sent over wifi, what I don't understand is why the speeds are that much slower. On a different computer, the speeds were 50-100mbps has a difficult time getting to 5mbps. 

I don't really know what would cause this and I have been trying to troubleshoot for the past few hours. I've asked customer support about it and they had advised me to change the channels(which I also did) and noticed the speeds do pick up now and then, but the overall average hasn't really changed much. 

Message 1 of 4
Kitsap
Master

Re: R6350 AC1750 Slow Wifi Speeds

@Jonathan2299 wrote:

I setup my R6350 router earlier today and I quickly noticed that the wifi speeds are greatly lower than the router that I was previously using. A laptop that was getting close to 100mbps with the older router(which was an AC1900 ASUS) was now getting about 30mbps. The ISP should be around 300mbps so I could understand if the speeds are lower due to it being sent over wifi, what I don't understand is why the speeds are that much slower. On a different computer, the speeds were 50-100mbps has a difficult time getting to 5mbps. 

I don't really know what would cause this and I have been trying to troubleshoot for the past few hours. I've asked customer support about it and they had advised me to change the channels(which I also did) and noticed the speeds do pick up now and then, but the overall average hasn't really changed much. 

Please provide the brand name and model number of the modem/gateway/ONT that is connected to the internet upstream of your R6350.

Did your configure your R6350 using an application on a mobile device or with a real computer connected to the router via an Ethernet cable?

The following configuration options on the router can have a significant slowdown impact on your router throughput.  These are Access control, QoS, and traffic meter.  Make sure these are all disabled.  While you are trying to sort this out, you would be well served to disable smart connect and establish separate SSID's for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands.

How are you measuring the throughput capacity?  Recommend the Ookla operating system specific application available from the play store.  This takes the web browser out of the measurement process.

When you add a new piece part to your LAN, you need to power down (pull the power cord) on the primary devices and perform a sequential power up allowing each device ample time to fully boot and stabilize before connecting and powering up the next device.  Power down (pull the power cord) on the device upstream of your router, the router, and devices hard wired to your router. Power up your upstream device and give it plenty of time to boot and stabilize.  Connect an Ethernet cord to your router WAN port and power up the router.  Let it boot and stabilize before powering up any of the hardwired devices connected to your router.

From a technology standpoint, your R6350 has less throughput capability than your ASUS router.

Message 2 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: R6350 AC1750 Slow Wifi Speeds

Did you check to see if you were connected to the 2.4ghz or the 5ghz?

2.4ghz is a much slower network and in some area's 30mbps is about all you can expect. 

5ghz should hit much faster speeds and potentially get you close to that 300mbps if everything is optimal over 5ghz. 

Message 3 of 4

You don't say what the model number is – AC1900 is a spee...

@Jonathan2299 wrote:

I setup my R6350 router earlier today and I quickly noticed that the wifi speeds are greatly lower than the router that I was previously using. A laptop that was getting close to 100mbps with the older router(which was an AC1900 ASUS) was now getting about 30mbps.

You don't say what the model number is – AC1900 is a speed tag rather than a model number – but the Asus claims a better WiFi spec than the Netgear's AC1750.

The R6350 also dates from 2018, so not that new.

Then there are the questions from @Kitsap and @plemans, especially the  modem between the R6350 and the Internet. Did you reset that before introducing it to the new router?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7