Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6700 AC1750 router does not allow Gigabit connections?

R6700 AC1750 router does not allow Gigabit connections?

I just upgraded my cable Modem to a Netgear CM1100 that supports Gigabit connections. I have an R6700/Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi router connected to it. My wireless speeds and wired Ethernet connections hover at 80 Mbps via the router. 

I bypassed the router by connecting directly to the modem using a wired Ethernet connection and the speeds reached greater than 600Mbps as expected.

Do I need to configure the AC1750 router to support the Gigabit speed from the modem?

Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions to resolve this issue.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

The R6700 is gigabit capable. 

What firmware is on it? 

Did you ever try a factory reset on it with a clean install (not from backup)? sometimes old qos settings can cause issues. 

have you tried replacing the cable? 

Also, make sure you're speedtesting over a hardwired connection. wireless AC won't hit gigabit speeds wireless. Especially the 2.4ghz.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10

All Replies
plemans
Guru

The R6700 is gigabit capable. 

What firmware is on it? 

Did you ever try a factory reset on it with a clean install (not from backup)? sometimes old qos settings can cause issues. 

have you tried replacing the cable? 

Also, make sure you're speedtesting over a hardwired connection. wireless AC won't hit gigabit speeds wireless. Especially the 2.4ghz.

Message 2 of 10

As suggested by @plemans , I reset my router and now I get way more bandwidth than 80 Mbps like I did before. 

But resetting came up with just 2 wireless SSIDs. And the Guest radios are disabled.
I'll try activating them again and report back.

A follow-up question: will re-activating the bonding of the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands for QoS mess up the accessible bandwidths again?

Message 3 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@AM_R6700_AC1750 wrote:

A follow-up question: will re-activating the bonding of the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands for QoS mess up the accessible bandwidths again?

This not bonding (link aggregation, LAG, ...) of the the wireless radios. Having the same SSID for all radios - what makes perfectly sense as an SSID does designate an access to one network -  will allow the mobile clients using the best available connection, assisted by some basic mesh standard features. where the 5 GHz will perform well, it's very likely the clients use the fast 5 GHz radio. Where the 5 GHz signal is becoming weak, the clients can almost seamlessly change to 2.4 GHz radio - what is slower but has offers the better coverage. 

Message 4 of 10

I think the "SmartConnect" option for wireless does what you described. I enabled that to use just a single SSID and automatic selection of band when connecting devices.

But I notice that there is another option in the router regarding "QoS." My question relates to that. I believe I have that enabled when I was having problems of getting >100 Mpbs even for wire connections. And I think @plemans was referring to it when he suggested I reset my router.

On another topic, I enabled the "Guest" radios. That did not affect the download speeds (which may be as expected).

Message 5 of 10

I did both wired and wiless connections before and after resetting my router. Before resetting, speeds for both were below 100Mbps. After resetting the wired connection went as high as 850Mbps and the wireless as high as 360 Mbps.

Message 6 of 10
plemans
Guru

360mbps is about what you can expect out of the wireless on the R6700. You won't hit gigabit over wireless on an AC device. 

Message 7 of 10

@plemans mentioned:  "...sometimes old qos settings can cause issues."  

So I experimented with the QoS option after I was able to get satisfactory speeds after resetting my AC1750 router. Note that after reset, my wired connection averaged ~ 600 Mbps and the wireless averaged ~ 250 Mbps.

When I turned on QoS, my connection speeds dropped noticeably from what I had before. For example, my wired connection was at 208 Mbps and the wireless connection was at 175 Mbps. These correspond to a 67% drop in my wired connection, and 30% drop in my wireless connection.

For an interesting article on Netgear routers and QoS see the following (published in 2018):

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/netgear-router-disable-qos,news-27675.html

Message 8 of 10
plemans
Guru

Even netgears own kb article on qos only recommends it at speeds lower than 250mbps. Because it disables ctf (cut through forwarding) that is needed on those devices to hit gigabit speeds. 

https://kb.netgear.com/25617/How-does-Dynamic-QoS-help-improve-my-Nighthawk-router-s-Internet-traffi...

Message 9 of 10

@plemans wrote:

Even netgears own kb article on qos only recommends it at speeds lower than 250mbps. Because it disables ctf (cut through forwarding) that is needed on those devices to hit gigabit speeds. 

https://kb.netgear.com/25617/How-does-Dynamic-QoS-help-improve-my-Nighthawk-router-s-Internet-traffi...

Thanks for pointing this out. This reassures me about turning off QoS on my router.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7