Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6700 constantly losing internet connection

baker2gs
Aspirant

R6700 constantly losing internet connection

Hi all, I've recently reverted back to the stock firmware from DD-WRT due to some issues with the upping DHCP over 150 clients causing the DD-WRT firmware to crash. I'm trying to give stock a go again, I really like the mobile app, but I'm constantly losing my internet connection.

First it was related to false positive DoS attacks from my work VPN, Facebook or other IPs related to web tools/services. I checked this by reviewing the logs and putting the IP of the attack item from log into the browser and it taking me to various related web assets. I've since disabled DoS protection.

Last night it crashed out of nowhere, just "initialized firmware" in the log. Additionally, it did the same thing today when I logged into the web interface. It seems to keep happening.

Screenshot 2021-03-14 111743.png

Firmware is V1.0.2.16_10.0.57

• Is this firmware really that unstable?
  • Are there more detailed logs I can get to find out what's causing it to crash?
  • Should I try to re-install the stock firmware?
  • Or just go back to DD-WRT, which had it's quirks but was at least stable?
  • Throw it all out and use the R6700 as a doorstop?

This is my last ditch effort, I have purchased a Linksys Velop system recently purchased/still in the box as a back up if this keeps happening, this is unacceptable and not condusive for remote work/video calls. 

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions

@baker2gs wrote:

Hi all, I've recently reverted back to the stock firmware from DD-WRT due to some issues with the upping DHCP over 150 clients causing the DD-WRT firmware to crash. I'm trying to give stock a go again, I really like the mobile app, but I'm constantly losing my internet connection.

Have you got it back on to stock firmware? It isn't clear from your message.

Not knowing anything substantial about your network, beyond the fact that it crashes, it is hard to begin to guess what might be happening.

@baker2gs wrote:

First it was related to false positive DoS attacks from my work VPN, Facebook or other IPs related to web tools/services. I checked this by reviewing the logs and putting the IP of the attack item from log into the browser and it taking me to various related web assets. I've since disabled DoS protection.

Netgear's firmware is great at creating false reports of DoS attacks. Many of them are no such thing.

Search - NETGEAR Communities – DoS attacks

If these events are slowing down your router, that may be because it is using up processor time as it writes the events to your logs. Anything that uses processor power – event logging, QoS management, traffic metering – may cause slowdowns. Disable logging of DoS attacks and see if that reduces the problem. This does not prevent the router from protecting you from the outside world.

@baker2gs wrote:

Your call. Originally launched in 2014, this was never the most powerful of routers.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
baker2gs
Aspirant

It looks like my screenshot of the most recent log/connection lose didn't post because well, I lost connection while authoring. Anyway, here it is: 

Screenshot 2021-03-14 111743.png

Message 2 of 8
baker2gs
Aspirant

I reapplied the firmware yesterday and it's still doing it. It initializes the firmware and loses connection for one second, then reconnects. Total trash
Message 3 of 8

@baker2gs wrote:

Have you got it back on to stock firmware? It isn't clear from your message.

Not knowing anything substantial about your network, beyond the fact that it crashes, it is hard to begin to guess what might be happening.

@baker2gs wrote:

Netgear's firmware is great at creating false reports of DoS attacks. Many of them are no such thing.

Search - NETGEAR Communities – DoS attacks

If these events are slowing down your router, that may be because it is using up processor time as it writes the events to your logs. Anything that uses processor power – event logging, QoS management, traffic metering – may cause slowdowns. Disable logging of DoS attacks and see if that reduces the problem. This does not prevent the router from protecting you from the outside world.

@baker2gs wrote:

Your call. Originally launched in 2014, this was never the most powerful of routers.

Message 4 of 8
baker2gs
Aspirant

I did get it back to stock. I'm going to move to the Linksys Velop mesh I bought as a back up. I didn't realize it's almost 7 years old. I bought it 3 years ago. Now with kids using multiple devices our usage has changed and I need something more powerful.
Message 5 of 8

@baker2gs wrote:
I did get it back to stock. I'm going to move to the Linksys Velop mesh I bought as a back up. I didn't realize it's almost 7 years old. I bought it 3 years ago.

There have been more recentl hardware verisons.

@baker2gs wrote:
Now with kids using multiple devices our usage has changed and I need something more powerful.

More users and more IoT stuff could see you hitting the limit for attached devices on the R6700. It has happened.

How many clients can you connect wirelessly to a NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Mesh is there partly to fix that.

How many devices can my Orbi system support? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 6 of 8
baker2gs
Aspirant

Ah ya the device limit could be why it's crashing. I've got +50 devices now and when I bought it, we were probably at 10-15.
Message 7 of 8
antinode
Guru

> [...] I've got +50 devices now and when I bought it, we were probably
> at 10-15.

It might be useful to configure the R6700 as a wireless access point,
to take some of the load off the (new) main router.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual (at least).  Read.  Look for
"Use the Router as a Wireless Access Point".

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7