Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6700 has endless password recovery loop

dkellington
Aspirant

R6700 has endless password recovery loop

Hello,

I have been fighting a loosing battle with trying to login to my router directly as the Netgear Genie app does not display an option for advanced settings.

If I use my browser (Win 10, IE 11) and enter routerlogin.net/start.htm I get an  /MNU_access_setRecovery_index.htm link directing me to the password recovery screen (BTW, I have not forgotten my login password). I enter the router serial number and answer the two security questions. A display shows the password information which is correct. I click continue and the screen goes back to the serial number entry. This repeats over and over again. I do not get a login screen at all.

I have reset the router multiple times and reentered my basic router info (SSID, passwords, etc).  I also know that the router is configured in "router mode" not "access point mode".

This has all started happening after I installed the Genie app and updated the router firmware (v1.0.26_10.0.35).

As I used advanced settings to further configure my router and the advanced option is not available in the Genie app, I need to be able to login directly to the router (which does display the advanced option).  If I were able to login and revert to a previous firmware version, I would.  The Genie doesn't give an option to do this either.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and help.

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
sktn77a
Virtuoso

Re: R6700 has endless password recovery loop

Probably a red herring but I've sometimes had different results using Chrome vs IE in acccessing firmware via "routerlogin.net" or "192.168.1.1"

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
sktn77a
Virtuoso

Probably a red herring but I've sometimes had different results using Chrome vs IE in acccessing firmware via "routerlogin.net" or "192.168.1.1"

Message 2 of 3
dkellington
Aspirant

I'm really kicking myself over not thinking about that as I live close to Microsoft HQ.  I don't have Chrome installed, but I do have Edge on my laptop.

Sure enough, I used Edge, entered the password recovery info and was finally directed to my login.  Thanks so much for the suggestion!!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7