Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6700v3 Wifi-Bridge Bufferflot

SuperHeroJason
Aspirant

R6700v3 Wifi-Bridge Bufferflot

I was wondering if anyone else has tried using Nighthawk r6700v3 as a Wireless Bridge. If so, has any one else experienced bufferfloat and a decent amount of jitter? Within in my testing of the Wireless bridge. I had good multi-threaded tests but didn't really hold up in the single threaded tests (via Ookla and google)

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: R6700v3 Wifi-Bridge Bufferflot

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the host WiFi router the R6700 is connected too?

What is the distance between the router and host router?

What channels are you using? 
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 9
SuperHeroJason
Aspirant

The firmware version currently on the routher is V 1.0.4.122_10.0.95 ( the newest one I believe).

The manufacturer is Altice and it is the gr240bg. The distance is around 20ish feet. If you're referring to whether or not i was using 2.4 vs 5ghz ( sorry I didn't understand what that meant), I was using 5ghz.

Message 3 of 9
SuperHeroJason
Aspirant

Oh I also don't know what you mean by Wi-Fi Neighbors

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What channels are you using on 5Ghz? 
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? Other wifi neighbors are around your home? What channels are they using on 5Ghz? 

Try the R6700 a bit farther away from the host router? Or Closer? 

Over all you'll have some bufferbloat as wifi has to be processed at the host router and at the R6700 in bridge mode. Nature of the beast. 

Message 5 of 9
SuperHeroJason
Aspirant

To be honest I don't know. I have tried moving it around but get the same results. I have found that just testing any device for bufferbloat I would get better scores wirelessly and via internet sharing on two different computers to be more stable than using the r6700v3 as a bridge.

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Honestly, you should not set for bufferbloat over wireless connections. There's too many variables in wifi that can cause bad or inaccurate results. Always test for BB over a ethernet connection to the ISP Modem first. 

Message 7 of 9
SuperHeroJason
Aspirant

I have, but I've tested other wireless devices as well as see that more often than not, the r6700v3 adds more jitter and bufferbloat than natively wireless( and by a good margin too)

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Try changing 5Ghz channels. See if it changes anything.  

Being that this model router is several years old, I presume there isn't anything new coming from NG regarding this. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7