Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6700v3 conected to a CM1100 Modem and a non wifi desktop.....

a59cheffy
Aspirant

R6700v3 conected to a CM1100 Modem and a non wifi desktop.....

Heya,

I would like to move my non-wifi desktop computer to the other end of my home.  I cannot move the network gateway  modem/router. (it's Cox, and some of you know what their service is like)....

I would like to not use cable because of the distance and having to put holes through my ceilings and walls.  Also concerned that if I use a wireless adapter attached to the computer I would lose signal strength.  I game occasionally.

Is there a wireless solution that I can connect my desktop to and still connect to the wireless router gateway?

Modem:  CM1100

Router:  R6700v3

Desktop: Asus X570 ROG Crosshair VIII Hero

Thanks

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
labatt
Mentor

Re: R6700v3 conected to a CM1100 Modem and a non wifi desktop.....

What I am suggesting is an Ethernet connection over power, not same as a wifi extender. 

The Ethernet over powerline provides an Ethernet connection at the remote end. You could connect the PC to that and it would appear as an Ethernet connection back to the router. Could also put a switch at the remote end and connect other devices there. As I said earlier, the speed varies by the device. Typically the higher priced the faster. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
labatt
Mentor

How about Ethernet over powerline adapter? These typically work well when you cannot run a cable. Has worked well in my house. They are sometimes called powerline network adapters. They very in price primarily because of speed they support. 

Message 2 of 5
a59cheffy
Aspirant

Thanks,

I would still have to use a wired connection to whatever device that works.  I see the new wifi extenders on Netgear's website.  But, I don't see a wired connection for a PC on the back of them.

Message 3 of 5
labatt
Mentor

What I am suggesting is an Ethernet connection over power, not same as a wifi extender. 

The Ethernet over powerline provides an Ethernet connection at the remote end. You could connect the PC to that and it would appear as an Ethernet connection back to the router. Could also put a switch at the remote end and connect other devices there. As I said earlier, the speed varies by the device. Typically the higher priced the faster. 

Message 4 of 5
a59cheffy
Aspirant

Thank you Labatt!

Yes that could work, quite alot of options on Newegg...

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7