Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6900 Lan Ports Only Delivering 200mbps

Stealth57
Aspirant

R6900 Lan Ports Only Delivering 200mbps

I have Xfinity service at 600mbps.  I have a Nighthawk CM1100 modem that was tested in my house by Comcast at 660mbps, BUT any of the LAN (CAT5) ports on the R6900 are only delivering 200mbps. That was confirmed by Comcast tests and what I am seeing on a directly connected computer.

Is there a setting that could be limiting speeds?  I have three devices plugged into the LAN ports, VOIP phone, NAS, and Mac mini.  VOIP and NAS are only used occasionally.

Any help out be greatly appreciated.

Model: R6900P|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

@Stealth57 wrote:

I have Xfinity service at 600mbps.  I have a Nighthawk CM1100 modem that was tested in my house by Comcast at 660mbps, BUT any of the LAN (CAT5) ports on the R6900 are only delivering 200mbps. CAT6 is recommended as CAT5 doesn't support 1000Mpbs speeds which is needed to see near 900Mpbs WAN to LAN speeds.

That was confirmed by Comcast tests and what I am seeing on a directly connected computer.

Is there a setting that could be limiting speeds?  I have three devices plugged into the LAN ports, VOIP phone, NAS, and Mac mini.  VOIP and NAS are only used occasionally.

Try a factory reset on the router and setup from scratch. Power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute then back ON. Walk thru the setup wizard on the router. Do not enable Access Controls, Armor, Circle, QoS or Traffic Meter. Run a speed test on a wired PC connected to the router using Ooklas installable speed test app for Windows or Mac. 

Message 2 of 5
Stealth57
Aspirant

The factory reset cleared the issue with the LAN ports. I am now getting about 670mbps hardwired; however, the WiFi won't deliver more than 300mbps sitting right next to the router. I tested with an iPhone 12, Mac Powerbook, and a Dell running a dual antenna Intel chipset.  The AC1900 spec should provide up to 1,300mbps on a 5Ghz channel.  50 feet away the signal drops to 50mbps. That was the same I was getting when my Xfinity plan was only 60mbps.  All the Wireless settings are max and checking Meta Geek, I am on the least congested bands.

Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 5

@Stealth57 wrote:

..... the WiFi won't deliver more than 300mbps sitting right next to the router. I tested with an iPhone 12, Mac Powerbook, and a Dell running a dual antenna Intel chipset.  The AC1900 spec should provide up to 1,300mbps on a 5Ghz channel. 

Maybe that's all your combination of wifi technologies can deliver. The R6900, a seven-year old design, isn't the fastest router on the block when it comes to wifi. 1300 Mbps sounds optimistic.

Do you expect an Internet speed of 600 Mbps to deliver wifi speeds of more than twice that?

It might be worth a bit of background reading.

Understand Wi-Fi 4/5/6 (802.11 n/ac/ad/ax)

@duckware knows their stuff and can bust a few myths and cut through marketing hype.

Is the wifi slowing down things you are doing? Or are you just looking at speed tests? Are your wifi clients a lot faster with other wifi sources?

Message 4 of 5
Stealth57
Aspirant

Don't confuse capability with delivery. The spec says up to 1300mbps. If my base connection is 670mbps, I expect the WiFi spec to deliver at a high percentage of the base rate when sitting right next to the router unless Netgear was lying about the capabilities. Age has nothing to do with it unless the semiconductor devices have failed and that isn't likely.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7