Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6900P Firmware Version 1.3.3.142 - Hot Fix Not availabe on app or web for firmware update Why?

MACDADGR
Aspirant

R6900P Firmware Version 1.3.3.142 - Hot Fix Not availabe on app or web for firmware update Why?

I see a new version of firm ware and a new hot fix for a security vulnerability.

I use the recommended app and web interface to check for the new update but both say none are available.

My current version of firmware is Firmware VersionV1.3.2.134_10.1.66

Will the update post automatically to the router?

How should I proceed?

Thank You

Model: R6900P|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: R6900P Firmware Version 1.3.3.142 - Hot Fix Not availabe on app or web for firmware update Why?

Some updates will not appear on the router for updating. Users can always manually download the FW file and manually apply them using a wired PC and web browser if they want too. Also if your system is running fine. Sometimes you may not want to update FW. "If it works, don't fix it!" Users choice. 

Message 2 of 10
chris2969
Aspirant

We can't elect not to update the firmware to this hotfix as it addresses a known security vulnerability.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Then you can manually downloaded and manually install in. Still, your choice. 

@chris2969 wrote:

We can't elect not to update the firmware to this hotfix as it addresses a known security vulnerability.

Message 4 of 10

@MACDADGR wrote:

I see a new version of firm ware and a new hot fix for a security vulnerability.

I use the recommended app and web interface to check for the new update but both say none are available.

A Hotfix will not show up in the automated firmware checks. That is because of the nature of the firmware. A Hotfix is sometimes an early, almost beta, version of firmware that is work in progress.

A Hotfix may or may not emerge from its chrysalis and turn into a full fledged official release. 

Even when it does make that next step, it may well be a little while before the firmware tirns up on the server that supports the automated ftp process. New firmware can turn up on the support pages for the device before that happens. Firmware junkies can always check and update as they see fit.

From messages I see here, a lot of people are not keen to rush into firmware updates, many of which fix security holes that may never have been seen in the real world. A lot users like to leave it to others to check that new firmware hasn't added more bugs than it squishes. That's also why they like to turn off automated updates.

Even when new firmware shows up on the automated alerts, a lot of users say "no thanks", and opt for a manual  process.

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 5 of 10

@chris2969 wrote:

What do you mean by that?

You don't want to skip the update?

Talk of "a known security vulnerability" could mean many things. It is often a new "hole" that has come up on some security site that has never been seen in the real world.

For good reason, Netgear never says what the "vulnerability" is. But many people seem to get by with routers that they never update. 

The choice is yours, of course. But it helps to understand how this process works and to make decisions on that basis. Just because something screams "security vulnerability" does not mean that the sky will fall in tomorrow if you do not rush to apply an update.

As a hotfix is "work in progress" that has yet to reach the update server, you may well be safe if you hang on until the firmware gets to that stage,

Message 6 of 10
MACDADGR
Aspirant

Thanks. I should have clarified the latest version as well as the hot fix aren’t available to download via Netgear app and the router web page. What you say about the hot fix make sense but I don’t understand why the latest version wouldn’t be available since it was released back in June. I try to stay current especially when it comes to security these days within reason.

Thanks all for your input. I am out of support for my current router and this sis the only venue we have to tell Netgear that they need to update their versions since they heavily encourage to update firmware via app.
Message 7 of 10

@MACDADGR wrote:
I should have clarified the latest version as well as the hot fix aren’t available to download via Netgear app and the router web page.

I don't know what you mean by "the router web page". I have just downloaded both these versions – hotfix and latest official release  – from the support pages for this router.

Here are links to the release notes:

R6900P Firmware Version 1.3.3.142 - Hot Fix | Answer | NETGEAR Support

and

R6900P Firmware Version 1.3.3.140 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Find it all here:

Nighthawk R6900P | AC1900 Smart WiFi Router | NETGEAR Support

If you can't get these files, then there may be something odd happening at your end. Perhaps a different browser would give a different result.

Message 8 of 10
MACDADGR
Aspirant

Netgear’s recommended way to get firmware updates are not manually as you describe. It is through using the Netgear Nighthawk app as described in the links you provided.

You also can access the router by logging in directly through your browser. When logged in there are options there as well to update your firmware.

Both recommended options are a version behind V1.3.2.134. That is all I was stating.
Make sense not to push out the most recent version through these methods but like I had already mentioned the latest version V1.3.3.142 was released in June 2021.
Message 9 of 10

@MACDADGR wrote:
Netgear’s recommended way to get firmware updates are not manually as you describe.

I did not say that Netgear recommend the manual update. It is the approach that I, and many experienced users, take.

The page I linked to was written by Netgear. I did not make it up.

You will also find the same information in the manual for your router.

You sought guidance on how to deal with an issue. I told you how you can sort it out. It is up to you to decide what to do. Either live with the problem or follow the advice you were given.

I still don't know what you mean by "the router web page". The browser graphical user interface (GUI), if that is what you mean, may indeed offer you an automated firmware update option. It is also the way into the manual update process.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7