Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6900P Nighthawk constant wifi disconnects

xraphael75
Aspirant

R6900P Nighthawk constant wifi disconnects

I have an R6900P Nighthawk router with firmware version V1.3.3.154_10.1.86 and my devices constantly disconnect

throughout the day when connected to the 5G wifi network. The 2.4 GHz network doesn't appear to have an issue. I found this thread where someone else had the exact same issue, and he never received an answer:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Wi-Fi-5-AC-Routers/R6900P-random-disconnect/td-p/2160995

I tried the few things that were suggested to him with the same results. My 5G wireless settings:

channel: 48

Mode: up to 1300 Mbps

Fragmentation Length: 2346

CTS/RTS Threshold: 2347

preamble mode: Long Preamble

implicit beamforming, airtime fairness, and mu-mimo are all checked.

I have a wifi analyzer on my phone, and it indicates a very strong signal. It's usually at -40 dBm, which is better than pretty much any other wifi network I try to connect to, so it's not the signal strength that's causing the disconnects.

Has anyone found a fix for this?

Message 1 of 9
Kitsap
Master

Re: R6900P Nighthawk constant wifi disconnects

@xraphael75 wrote:

I have an R6900P Nighthawk router with firmware version V1.3.3.154_10.1.86 and my devices constantly disconnect

throughout the day when connected to the 5G wifi network. The 2.4 GHz network doesn't appear to have an issue. I found this thread where someone else had the exact same issue, and he never received an answer:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Wi-Fi-5-AC-Routers/R6900P-random-disconnect/td-p/2160995

I tried the few things that were suggested to him with the same results. My 5G wireless settings:

channel: 48

Mode: up to 1300 Mbps

Fragmentation Length: 2346

CTS/RTS Threshold: 2347

preamble mode: Long Preamble

implicit beamforming, airtime fairness, and mu-mimo are all checked.

I have a wifi analyzer on my phone, and it indicates a very strong signal. It's usually at -40 dBm, which is better than pretty much any other wifi network I try to connect to, so it's not the signal strength that's causing the disconnects.

Has anyone found a fix for this?

What is the brand name and model number of the modem/gateway/ONT that is connected upstream of your router?

Make sure you have good quality Ethernet cables between your devices.  Cat 6 is recommended.

Based on the Wi-Fi analyzer on your phone, do you have Wi-Fi neighbors or live in an environment with lots of radio frequency signals?

Message 2 of 9
xraphael75
Aspirant

What is the brand name and model number of the modem/gateway/ONT that is connected upstream of your router?

SMART/RG SR400ac

Make sure you have good quality Ethernet cables between your devices. Cat 6 is recommended.

They are either cat5 or 6

Based on the Wi-Fi analyzer on your phone, do you have Wi-Fi neighbors or live in an environment with lots of radio frequency signals?

On the 5G network I see 10 other networks. My R6900P is the only one on channel 48, and the only one on 5240MHz Frequency, so it seems that nothing else should be interfering with it.

Message 3 of 9
Kitsap
Master

@xraphael75 wrote:

SMART/RG SR400ac

Make sure you have good quality Ethernet cables between your devices. Cat 6 is recommended.

They are either cat5 or 6

On the 5G network I see 10 other networks. My R6900P is the only one on channel 48, and the only one on 5240MHz Frequency, so it seems that nothing else should be interfering with it.

Basically a repeat question, what is the brand name and model number of the modem/gateway/ONT that is connected upstream that provides your internet connection?  The SMART/RG SR400ac is not a modem/gateway/ONT.  What is between the SMART/RG SR400ac and the internet?  Any more devices that also are a router?

The SMART/RG SR400ac is a Wi-Fi router similar to your R6900P.  Your configuration has them cascaded in series so they are in conflict with each other full time.  The condition is known as double NAT and it is the first thing your need to resolve.

For background check here:  https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-double-NAT-and-why-is-it-bad

You can usually get by with Cat 5e Ethernet cables.  Your Cat 5 Ethernet cables should be replaced with Cat 6.

Message 4 of 9

@Kitsap wrote: The SMART/RG SR400ac is not a modem/gateway/ONT.  What is between the SMART/RG SR400ac and the internet?  Any more devices that also are a router?

Google is confusing on this. I found a manual that suggests otherwise.

SR400ac Gateway User Manual Zzoomm https://zzoomm.com › uploads › 2020/09 › SR...

But this disagrees.

SG :: SmartRG SR400ac Wireless Router

Huh?

Message 5 of 9
Kitsap
Master

@michaelkenward wrote:

@Kitsap wrote: The SMART/RG SR400ac is not a modem/gateway/ONT.  What is between the SMART/RG SR400ac and the internet?  Any more devices that also are a router?

Google is confusing on this. I found a manual that suggests otherwise.

SR400ac Gateway User Manual Zzoomm https://zzoomm.com › uploads › 2020/09 › SR...

But this disagrees.

SG :: SmartRG SR400ac Wireless Router

Huh?

Based on the full model number provided, nothing confusing here:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=SMART%2FRG+SR400ac&t=newext&atb=v167-1&ia=web

Message 6 of 9
Kitsap
Master

@xraphael75 wrote:

SMART/RG SR400ac

Does your SMART/RG SR400ac also provide a Wi-Fi signal?

Message 7 of 9
xraphael75
Aspirant

The SMART/RG does have WIFI. When I connect my phone to the SMART/RG, it never disconnects. However, they are on different channels, different frequencies, different networks (192.168.x.x vs. 10.x.x.x), different SSIDs.

To answer your other question, the SMART/RG was provided by my ISP and it is the last thing in line that goes out to the Internet.

Also, when I connect to the 2.4GHz network on the R6900P, it seems to be much more stable than the 5G. I don't know if a time it has ever disconnected. The SMART/RG also has both 2.4GHz and 5G. If there's some sort of interference between them with the double NAT, should it affect both 2.4G and 5G?

Message 8 of 9
Kitsap
Master

@xraphael75 wrote:

The SMART/RG does have WIFI. When I connect my phone to the SMART/RG, it never disconnects. However, they are on different channels, different frequencies, different networks (192.168.x.x vs. 10.x.x.x), different SSIDs.

To answer your other question, the SMART/RG was provided by my ISP and it is the last thing in line that goes out to the Internet.

Also, when I connect to the 2.4GHz network on the R6900P, it seems to be much more stable than the 5G. I don't know if a time it has ever disconnected. The SMART/RG also has both 2.4GHz and 5G. If there's some sort of interference between them with the double NAT, should it affect both 2.4G and 5G?

The WAN input to your SMART/RG is an Ethernet cable.  There is some type of electronic device between the other end of the Ethernet cable and the internet.  It has to be there and has to be some type of modem or optical network terminal.  Who is your ISP?

I am not talking about a radio frequency interference.  Both your SMART/RG and your R6900P are attempting to assign IP addresses to devices on your LAN as well as IP information to the data packets.  Both at the same time.  When they are in conflict, something gets dropped.  Which is what you are seeing now.

Since your SMART/RG is the first router in line for your LAN, one option would be to configure your R6900P as a wired access point and leave all of the routing functions to your SMART/RG.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7