Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6900P doesn’t have Coax

cluelessoldman
Aspirant

R6900P doesn’t have Coax

I’m trying to setup r6900p but it does not have a coax cable input. The nighthawk setup app keeps asking me to connect via Ethernet but I don’t have a household Ethernet port. Did I purchase the wrong type of router?
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: R6900P doesn’t have Coax

https://kb.netgear.com/27191/How-to-set-the-cable-modem-router-to-be-on-modem-only

@cluelessoldman wrote:
I have Xfinity cable and no modem. I think the issue is that my (current)C6300 netgear router may also act as a modem. So I may not have purchased correctly. Do you think I can keep the r6900p and just put a modem in front of it? Thanks for the reply I appreciate it!

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 12

All Replies
microchip8
Master

A router needs a modem to connect to using a UTP (Ethernet) cable. You cannot feed it coax. A cable modem has a coax port

Message 2 of 12
plemans
Guru

Who's your isp?

I'd recommend getting a modem separate from the router versus getting a modem/router combo device anyway. 

so you might not have gotten what you thought you were but it might be for the better. 

Message 3 of 12
cluelessoldman
Aspirant

I don’t have a modem now though, which is why it confused me. I think my (old) netgear C6300 may be a modem AND router and maybe that’s why it always worked. Thanks for the reply!
Message 4 of 12
cluelessoldman
Aspirant

I have Xfinity cable and no modem. I think the issue is that my (current)C6300 netgear router may also act as a modem. So I may not have purchased correctly. Do you think I can keep the r6900p and just put a modem in front of it? Thanks for the reply I appreciate it!
Message 5 of 12
plemans
Guru

The c6300 has a modem only node you could put it in and connect the new one to
Message 6 of 12

@cluelessoldman wrote:
Do you think I can keep the r6900p and just put a modem in front of it?

Yes. Dead easy.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the section in the manual for the C6300 Change the Router Mode.

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

https://kb.netgear.com/27191/How-to-set-the-cable-modem-router-to-be-on-modem-only

@cluelessoldman wrote:

Message 8 of 12
Kitsap
Master

Someone ought to ask the question, why did @cluelessoldman replace the C6300 in the first place?

Message 9 of 12

@Kitsap wrote:

Someone ought to ask the question, why did @cluelessoldman replace the C6300 in the first place?

Excellent question. Especially when they bought an R6900P. Not what you'd call cutting edge technology. Same AC1900 wifi technology.

Message 10 of 12
cluelessoldman
Aspirant

I was relaxing it because it seemed like my signal was decreasing over time, like the range seemed to be decreasing. Also I have had this router for more than a few years now, I figured a new and better one would work. The associates at Best Buy suggested this router, of course it now seems I shouldn’t have listened to them!!! Thx for replying though I do appreciate it.
Message 11 of 12

@cluelessoldman wrote:
The associates at Best Buy suggested this router, of course it now seems I shouldn’t have listened to them!!!

Yup. They sold you something that is little better than the thing you already own.

But there is nothing stopping you from getting a more capable router and using that behind your current modem/router.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7