Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6900P kicks all devices off network (Ethernet & Wireless) when certain devices join

Tperr24
Aspirant

R6900P kicks all devices off network (Ethernet & Wireless) when certain devices join

Hello,

I have an Arris Surfboard SB6190 Modem and a Nighthawk 6900P router (firmware - V1.3.3.142_10.1.75). COX is our service provider.

When I join the network with my personal laptop (on wifi) all other devices lose connection to the router. Even my work computer which is connected to the router via Ethernet gets disconnected. After they are able to rejoin the network, it will still take a minute or two before internet access is restored.

This seemed to start around the time I also started using NordVPN.  But seemed to work for a couple months with no issue so not sure if that is the source. I've also stopped using Nord and the issue still happens every time I join the network on my laptop.

I've tried updating the firmware (a while ago, I might be a little behind), and also turning off Dynamic QoS as I read on another post that can cause similar issues. I'm not sure what I should try next. Any thoughts welcome!

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: R6900P kicks all devices off network (Ethernet & Wireless) when certain devices join

What happens if nord vpn is disabled? 

Maybe its creating some type of loop thats causing issues. 

Message 2 of 6
Tperr24
Aspirant

Re: R6900P kicks all devices off network (Ethernet & Wireless) when certain devices join

Thanks for your response. I was hoping the same. I disabled Nord from starting up about a month ago and haven't used it since but the issue has continued. My work computer requires me to be on a VPN so maybe somehow that is creating a loop. Tomorrow I will try disabling work VPN, and turning on my personal laptop and see if the issue continues.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

When its 1 device causing all the issues, it always make me look closer at that device versus the router/other devices connected. 

Message 4 of 6
Tperr24
Aspirant

This morning, I opened my personal computer before my work computer, and was able to log in to the network with no issues.

This makes me think that the issue must have to do with the VPN settings on my work laptop. Does this sound possible in your experience? I've tried to have my company's IT department look into this but they made it sound like that wouldn't be possible. Or in hindsight maybe they just didn't want to be assigned to that ticket 🙂

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Disable all your vpn/proxy/security on the laptop with issues. then connect it and see if it works. (could even try safe mode with networking). 

then enable a service and try it. At some point you'll find what's causing it. Or trying to check with nord vpn and not your office IT department. They might know more about what conflicts with their service

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7