Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R6900V2 Disconnects From Cable Modem

DVD67
Tutor

R6900V2 Disconnects From Cable Modem

I just purchased this router less than a week ago and it is already proving to be irritating. For some reason it seems to be disconnecting from the cable modem router randomly. I have to reboot the cable modem and then re-apply the settings in the router interface. This is using the latest firmware.

The previous router did not do that and it just flat out quit working. Bought this one hoping it would work but it decides when it wants to work. 

Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

A couple things you can try to figure out if its a modem issue or a router issue. 

1. replace the cable between the router and the modem

2. reinstall the firmware to the router, factory reset it, and then manually set the router back up. basically leave it default settings other than wireless ssid/password info. Reason I say this is for 2 reason. First being if a setting is causing an issue a reset fixes that.  The other reason, is if its a firmware issue (corrupt firmware) a reinstall of the fimware would overwrite that issue. 

3. If it happens frequently enough, you could also try direct connecting to the modem for a period of time to ensure it isn't a modem issue. rebooting the router could just be resetting the modem link. The Cicso modem is a bit dated and potentially could be having signal issues. Isp's are great at blaming the router when its a signal drop issue. 

What "old router' were you using? 

Have you checked the modems cable connection page to see how the  connection back to the isp is? 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

1. What firmware is on the router? "the latest" sometimes isn't, or it can change, or if someone is looking at this in the future can use it to compare with what they have.

2. What modem is it? 

3. How do you know its disconnecting? What exactly is happening? is it saying "connected, no internet", is the internet led going off, are devices disconnecting from the wifi? do wired and wireless devices drop?

We need more details since we aren't there to see whats going on. So the more you explain, the more we can help. 

Message 2 of 6
DVD67
Tutor

Right now it is firmware version V1.2.0.62_1.0.1 on the router. I had it check for updates several times.

The Cable Modem is a Cisco DPC2316

When it does this, the Internet let turns orange/red and on the router page I login shows status of Not Connected instead of Good on the Internet section.

The Wifi and Lan still continue to run because I have my main desktop hooked in to the Lan and the laptop I am remoting into is on Wifi. I do this so I can have bigger / multiple monitors while remoting in to a work laptop. It does not drop either of those.

The router continues to work but the communication between it and the modem is lost. Once that connection breaks, I have to go in to the router and reconnect to the modem after I reboot the modem. The router wont automatically reconnect.

The router I had before this one stayed connected until it failed. I went with this router as a temporary replacement while the warranty is processed on the old router. 

This is a very random problem and it only started with this router. Given the modem is probably a little dated it still peaks at 105 Mbps. 

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

A couple things you can try to figure out if its a modem issue or a router issue. 

1. replace the cable between the router and the modem

2. reinstall the firmware to the router, factory reset it, and then manually set the router back up. basically leave it default settings other than wireless ssid/password info. Reason I say this is for 2 reason. First being if a setting is causing an issue a reset fixes that.  The other reason, is if its a firmware issue (corrupt firmware) a reinstall of the fimware would overwrite that issue. 

3. If it happens frequently enough, you could also try direct connecting to the modem for a period of time to ensure it isn't a modem issue. rebooting the router could just be resetting the modem link. The Cicso modem is a bit dated and potentially could be having signal issues. Isp's are great at blaming the router when its a signal drop issue. 

What "old router' were you using? 

Have you checked the modems cable connection page to see how the  connection back to the isp is? 

Message 4 of 6
DVD67
Tutor

Thank you for the suggestions. I already reworked the ends on the cat 6 cable and I know that is not the issue. The cable run is less than a year old and it was good quality Belden cable. It was a 100 ft run so outright replacing is an issue with how it is put in place. 

On the second item. I don't think it is the firmware. I would see a lot of issues booting it with bad firmware. All the functionality is there and seems to be holding. 

I am trying the last option though. I went to the ISP today and got a replacement cable router it is a new Arris TM1602. I just set it up so I will put it through the paces tomorrow during work. That may have helped the previous router to its grave. 

The router I had before the Nighthawk was a TPLink Archer C2300. It did not make it past the year mark but it stopped working after 5 minutes powered on. The problem with it was a separate issue than this. It started, locked up, then stopped and you could not even log in to it. Wifi-Lan-Everything stopped cold. It also had a major hot spot on the case which signaled failure. 

I will repost the status after it has ran for 9 hours under pressure.

Thank you for your help.

Message 5 of 6
DVD67
Tutor

Number 3 on your list was the problem. 24 hours after replacing the modem, I have not had to do anything and it is running smoothly. The router is working it like it should and the modem was the one disconnecting. Connection is stable and the router is now functioning like I expected. The 5 Ghz wireless seems to be working better than the previous router. 

Thanks to Plemans for the suggestions. It is greatly appreciated.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series