Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 Access Questions

markinms
Aspirant

R7000 Access Questions

I'm new to this and can't find an answer for my question.

Can my laptops using wifi access a cabled printer?  Or...

Can my desktops using cabled access, access a printer setup on the wifi network?

Using the R7000 printer sharing option is not an option.

Thanks for any feedback!

Mark

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: R7000 Access Questions

R7000 has wireless isolation, but only for the guest network.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If the printer is a network printer with WiFi / Ethernet support then yes to both your questions. The only router related parameter that I can think of which may cause issues is ‘Wireless Isolation’ (default is disabled), so check it’s disabled (assuming the R7000 has that feature, I can’t check right now).

Message 2 of 6
TheEther
Guru

R7000 has wireless isolation, but only for the guest network.

Message 3 of 6
markinms
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick responses.

The printer is a wifi/ethernet network printer but will not allow both at the same time. 

Right now all devices/computers are wifi.  Desktop performance  is compromised by doing this; cable internet is 100Mbps, I get half this with wifi.

Mark

Message 4 of 6
TheEther
Guru

Access between Ethernet and Wi-Fi is one thing. We've established that that is allowed.

Wi-Fi performance is completely unrelated and, unforunately, subject to a lot of variables. The capabilties of Wi-Fi adapters in your computer, the Wi-Fi protocol (like 802.11n or 802.11ac), the Wi-Fi band used (2.4 GHz or 5 GHz), the channel width, the channel congestion, radio noise from non-Wi-Fi devices operating in the same frequency, signal absorption and reflection by walls.

If you are getting 50 Mbps on Wi-Fi, then I'll wager that your computer is joined to the 2.4 GHz network and probably only has a single antenna. If I'm correct, then 50 Mbps is pretty typical. If possible, use the 5 GHz network. It's frequently less congested and fundamentally has higher bandwidth, albeit with less range. But unless you are at the fringes of the 5 GHz network where the connection is intermittent, it will almost always be faster than 2.4 GHz.

Message 5 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@markinms wrote:

Thanks for the quick responses.

The printer is a wifi/ethernet network printer but will not allow both at the same time. 

I think there may be some confusion from what I have read. The printer can connect either wired or wireless once connected any PC on same network should be able to print to it BUT, you need each pc to turn on network discovery and file and printer sharing.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7