Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 Cannot connect some devices to Wireless. ("Obtaining IP address..")

Hohokam337
Aspirant

R7000 Cannot connect some devices to Wireless. ("Obtaining IP address..")

I got this router maybe 4 months ago after a large storm that took out my previous router (Netgear WNDR4000) and the internet cable. Ever since I installed the new router I cannot connect to the wireless on selected devices for instance my phone will say "Obtaining IP address...", though if I connect using a Static IP it works. WIth laptops, they connect perfectly with question or hesitation and my Wii, PS4 and Chromecast are all having difficulties connecting, even though they show on the attached devices in the Netgear Genie. Also for some reason my Nest connects just fine too? And a hard connecting from the router to my PC works great.

I have tried to call netgear but had no solution, and never called me back. 

Does anyone have any solutions to this?

Thanks,

Hohokam

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 27

Accepted Solutions
Hohokam337
Aspirant

Re: R7000 Cannot connect some devices to Wireless. ("Obtaining IP address..")

I figured it out, but it makes no sense.. 

I noticed that I have two wired connections to the router, one being my PC and another to my alarm system, AT&T Digital life. I noticed that it was acquiring two wired connections positions in the Genie when it was plugged into only one slot? Also the light was orange on the router, where it was plugged into. I unplugged it and the wireless works perfectly on all the devices.. 

Can anyone explain this?

Also thank you for everyone's help!! 

View solution in original post

Message 22 of 27

All Replies
MarianneM
Tutor

I have the same issue. Except i've had the router for 2 weeks and haven't gotten a connection once. Following in hopes of a result

Message 2 of 27
netwrks
Master

As a starting point, connect to your router,  If in NA, for 2.4ghz, select a non-overlapping channel 1,6,or 11. On 5ghz, try a 3 digit channel number, like 149, for example. Some 5ghz devices can only successfully connect to upper 5ghz channels. 

Message 3 of 27
Hohokam337
Aspirant

Tried changing the channel to all three 1, 6, and 11 but still did not connect..

Message 4 of 27
netwrks
Master

Perhaps it's firmware. I'll tag @ElaineM

Message 5 of 27
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi! Have you tried the latest firmware 1.0.5.64 release?

I suggest that you factory reset the router then manually reconfigure the settings.

Message 6 of 27
IrvSp
Master

First thing you should try seeing if the SSID can even be seen. Then the signal strength. I assume some devices are non-windows, so I guess all you could rely on is if they think they see it?

If the laptop can connect, either 2.4 or 5Ghz SSID, get Acrylic (https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/wlan-software/wlan-scanner-acrylic-wifi-free/) and install it and see what is actually around and the power. Since it is a laptop, move it to the locations that fail and check.

Also see what other SSID's are at the same power and location, could cause interference and may make connection hard.

Message 7 of 27
TheEther
Guru

In additions to IrvSp's great advice, make sure the Wi-Fi radios are on.  The 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz lights should be lit.  If they are not, then push the physical Wi-Fi button on the router for 2 to 3 seconds.  It's the second button from the right.

Message 8 of 27
Hohokam337
Aspirant

@ElaineM wrote:

Hi! Have you tried the latest firmware 1.0.5.64 release?

I suggest that you factory reset the router then manually reconfigure the settings.

Firm ware is up to date. I did the factory reset, I don't quite how to reconfigure the settings manually? Unless you mean go into the router and change things, which I have been?

Message 9 of 27
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What's the result of IrvSp's advice?

Message 10 of 27
Hohokam337
Aspirant

Oh I thought I responded to that, SSID can be seen by every device. It has up to 3out 4 bars to 4 bars of strength all the time. There are a couple SSIDs around but none are at the same strength plus all are password protected.

The laptop gets plenty of strength all around my home.
Message 11 of 27
IrvSp
Master

About the only thing I can think of is that the devices are looking for a different gateway address. If you can, and I know on iOS devices you can do this, go to settings and 'forget' the network that it is trying to connect too. Also on an iOS device if you look at the network settings there is a circle with an 'i' in it, click on that and ensure the setting for you router are correct if you don't want to 'forget' the network.

Message 12 of 27
Hohokam337
Aspirant

I have forgotten the network like 1000 times, it says the same thing everytime. That's only for iOS, it's the same issue with my other devices. My wii and ps4 fails at "obtaining Ip addres" stage

Message 13 of 27
IrvSp
Master

What SECURITY OPTION are you using under Wireless? Should be WPA2-PSK.

===================

Security Options

• None - no data encryption
  • WEP - Wired Equivalent Privacy, use WEP 64- or 128-bit data encryption
    Note:  Wi-Fi Protected Setup function is disabled when the security setting is WEP.
  • WPA2-PSK [AES] - Wi-Fi Protected Access version 2 with Pre-Shared Key, use WPA2-PSK standard encryption with the AES encryption type
  • WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES] - Allow clients using either WPA-PSK [TKIP] or WPA2-PSK [AES]
  • WPA/WPA2 Enterprise - It supports 802.1x authentication, not for home use, you must have a RADIUS server in your network.

To achieve the best performance with 11N wireless adapters under robust security network, NETGEAR recommends that you change your network's security option to WPA2-PSK.

====================

On the Advanced Wireless setup is Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence checked?

Message 14 of 27
Hohokam337
Aspirant

I'm using WPA-PSK[AES].
Message 15 of 27
TheEther
Guru

What's the Starting and Ending IP address in LAN Setup on the R7000?

Message 16 of 27
Hohokam337
Aspirant

192.168.1.2  to 192.168.1.254

Message 17 of 27
TheEther
Guru

Do you have Access Control enabled under ADVANCED > Security > Access Control?

Message 18 of 27
Hohokam337
Aspirant

Yes but all new devices are allowed. I changed it to off even , still same problem
Message 19 of 27
TheEther
Guru

Do you see anything in the R7000 logs?  Did you reboot after disabling access control?

Message 20 of 27
IrvSp
Master

If you DISABLE security do they connect?

Message 21 of 27
Hohokam337
Aspirant

I figured it out, but it makes no sense.. 

I noticed that I have two wired connections to the router, one being my PC and another to my alarm system, AT&T Digital life. I noticed that it was acquiring two wired connections positions in the Genie when it was plugged into only one slot? Also the light was orange on the router, where it was plugged into. I unplugged it and the wireless works perfectly on all the devices.. 

Can anyone explain this?

Also thank you for everyone's help!! 

Message 22 of 27
VE6CGX
Master

IP address conflict?

Message 23 of 27
IrvSp
Master

@VE6CGX wrote:

IP address conflict?

I'd say not as usually either one stays connected or they sort of take turns using the address.

Also this didn't make sense to me, " I noticed that it was acquiring two wired connections positions in the Genie when it was plugged into only one slot?"?

Before that he said "I noticed that I have two wired connections to the router" so 2 wired connection would be normal?

Light color just signifies the connect speed. 100Mbps in this case.

Message 24 of 27
DoctorX
Guide

I had same error after updating to the latest firmware even after multiple factory resets and reboots.  I did a cold restart by unplugging the power cable and then everything was working OK.

Message 25 of 27
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7