Re: R7000 DHCP not working after reboot

NetworkGuy36
Aspirant

R7000 DHCP not working after reboot

Hi,

I have a really weird issue.

I have a the following setup:

Internet: Comcast

Cable Model: Motorola SB6141  Hardware V7.0  Firmware: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.14-SCM03-NOSH

Router: Nighthawk R7000  Firmware: V1.0.3.80_1.1.38 

Switch:  Netgear GS108 Switch

Here is what happened, my Wink Hub was not responding and one of the suggestions was to re-boot the router, which I did. That did not work, so I decided to wait until tomorrow before contacting their support. A short while later, the PC I was working on lost connectivity. I ended up re-booting the PC but still had no Internet access. After a lot of research, I discovered the following:

The IP address range from the R7000 was 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.255, but my IP address was 192.168.100.16.

My IP address was being assigned by the SB6141, which has a built in DHCP server. (There is not way to turn it off.) But it has never been a problem before. I was able to get back online by assigning a specific IP address, DSN and Gateway in my PC's ethernet adapter, but I have never had to do this before.

DHCP is enable in the router, but it is not assigning IP addresses.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

John

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
NetworkGuy36
Aspirant

Problem Solved:

I am still not sure what caused it or what fixed it.

I power cycled the entire network and all of the attached devices. Turned everything off and the started powering up from the Cable Moden inward. When I was finished everything was back to normal.

I power cycled the modem and router yesterday with no effect. Not sure why reseting the entire network made a difference, but it did.

Thanks,

John

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
netwrks
Master

If you can't set the SB6141 to bridge mode, then set the 7000 to AP mode.

Message 2 of 5
NetworkGuy36
Aspirant

Not possible, the SB6141 is ONLY a DHCP server and not a router.

Message 3 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@NetworkGuy36 wrote:

Not possible, the SB6141 is ONLY a DHCP server and not a router

Connect modem to PC with PC lan set to DHCP Reboot modem and PC this should assign a public IP to the PC.

Push router reset until power LED flashes this will erase all user settings, connect PC to lan port reboot PC. Should get a 192.168.1.xxx IP

Log in to router 192.168.1.1  got to setup.....internet setup.......USE PC MAC ADDRESS

connect modem to router WAN port  reboot router follow the directions

Message 4 of 5
NetworkGuy36
Aspirant

Problem Solved:

I am still not sure what caused it or what fixed it.

I power cycled the entire network and all of the attached devices. Turned everything off and the started powering up from the Cable Moden inward. When I was finished everything was back to normal.

I power cycled the modem and router yesterday with no effect. Not sure why reseting the entire network made a difference, but it did.

Thanks,

John

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7