Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 Download speed on Gigabyte Internet

dwhiting1985
Guide

R7000 Download speed on Gigabyte Internet

I have the Nighthawk R7000 AC1900. I had had this router for years, always worked great. I am on the firmware V1.0.6.28_1.1.83

I havent updated becasuse i didnt want to lose Arlo support. Also I have heard that updating kills the router and speeds. So I opted to not update.

I recently upgraded my internet to 1000Mbps Download speeds. This was upgraded from 600Mbps.

On the 600Mbps connection, I have had 0 problems, speeds are great and consistent, no hickups. 

Now Since I have upgraded I can for an instant hit around 900Mpbs on wired PC, then the speeds constantly and drastically drop until the speedtest ends, for instance 900Mpbs drops down to 400Mbps and keeps dropping but the test ends so i dont know how far it actually goes down. 

Why would this happen? On the modem from my ISP i do get close to 1000Mbps constant and consistent. 

What could be the problem? Should I just upgrade my router, which I have wanted to do for a while now, but just havent wanted to spend the money. 

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you guys!

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 21
plemans
Guru

Re: R7000 Download speed on Gigabyte Internet

What modem do you have? 

And what server are you speedtesting on? Thats kind of key as not all test servers can fully saturate gigabit connections. 

Who's your isp? usually they have a test site you can test your speeds off that will get closer to saturating gigabit. 

You can always save a backup configuraiton of your router and update it. If yours happens to have issues, you can always downgrade back down. 

Message 2 of 21
dwhiting1985
Guide

My modem is the one supplied from My ISP, Ziggo, in the netherlands. Its Docsis 3.1.

Im testing on the site and server for my ISP. Also using speedtest.net to test around here also. One is 3Km away from me in Vodafone which supplies the glass fiber internet here over 1000up and down speeds.

they all do the same thing. 

Modem is the Connect Box which is the picture i am attaching. 

Message 3 of 21
plemans
Guru

That modem from ziggo is a modem router combo device. It can cause a double nat as it has its own integrated router functions. (based off your picture. without out a model number its tough to say 100%)

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Message 4 of 21
dwhiting1985
Guide

Its in modem mode (the modem from ziggo), not router mode. it does nothing but supply the connection. i had the other connect box for years with no problems. I dont even have phone through it. its literally a modem only now. 

Message 5 of 21
plemans
Guru

You went in and set it to disable router functions (turning off wifi doesn't disable routing functions)? 

How did you do this? 

Are you able to connect more than 1 device to it and have both function?

Message 6 of 21
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@dwhiting1985 

@dwhiting1985 wrote:

I havent updated becasuse i didnt want to lose Arlo support. Also I have heard that updating kills the router and speeds. So I opted to not update.

........Should I just upgrade my router, which I have wanted to do for a while now, but just havent wanted to spend the money. 

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you guys!

First point, not everyone's router is either killed or loses speed updating firmware. I'm on Full Fibre to the Premises but not on the crazy speeds you're getting lol! Still, I'm on 150mb download, 30 up and I get the full whack. The speeds you're quoting that you get, just cost far too much money in my neck of the woods. I understand you want to keep Arlo support, so I get it why you wouldn't want to upgrade. Not sure how Netgear address the issue of security patches for the firmware you're running though.

Last point, you've answered your own question. I'm going to upgrade to WiFi 6 router, not sure Netgear will be on my shopping list though, plenty of worthy competition out there.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 7 of 21
dwhiting1985
Guide

correct, modem only mode.

Message 8 of 21
plemans
Guru

And if you test directly connected to it with a pc/laptop do you get full speeds throughout the test?

Message 9 of 21
dwhiting1985
Guide

i stated that in my first post, yes, if i put the modem back into router mode, connect my PC to the modem directly, yes i get about 980Mb or so. 

to answer your question, yes I get the full speed on the modem, when its connected to my router and the modem is switched to modem only mode, thats when the problem starts. 

I have no QoS on, and no access control or anything like that, and also no network traffic on either for tracking it. I heard before that having the traffic meter on can cause problems, thats off as well.

Message 10 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you powered OFF both ISP modem and router for 1 minute then back ON. Factory reset the router and setup from scratch. Don't enable any Armor, Traffic Meter or Access Controls and run a speed test from a wired PC soon after the router is set up? 

Message 11 of 21
plemans
Guru

Might be worth trying the update then

Message 12 of 21
dwhiting1985
Guide

"Re: R7000 Download speed on Gigabyte Internet

Have you powered OFF both ISP modem and router for 1 minute then back ON. Factory reset the router and setup from scratch. Don't enable any Armor, Traffic Meter or Access Controls and run a speed test from a wired PC soon after the router is set up? "

Yes I have done the above, first thing I thought of doing. 

I have also tried

different network cable

different PC

different network adapter (My Asus has 2 with Intel and killer ethernet 2.5Gbps port)

all the same result

Message 13 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the results if you use the ISP modem in router mode and configure the router for AP mode? 

Message 14 of 21
dwhiting1985
Guide

max speed, got around 980Mb steady, no hiccups or stutters. 

Message 15 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible that in router mode, the Cut-Thru or HW accelleration is not working...This is not need while in AP mode so why speeds are good in AP mode. 

Message 16 of 21
plemans
Guru

could be CTF causing issues but usually if its not working, speeds drop to around that 300mbps on that device. 

I'd give it a shot at updating the firmware. Unless you're truly dedicated to keeping the Arlo built into the router. 

Then you'd need to follow @FURRYe38 advice and run the R7000 in access point mode. 

Message 17 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

I'll check mine out again. I thought I had tested mine earlier this year but i can't find the post where I posted the results. 

I'll check again and post here with the FW version used. 

Message 18 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya I thought so, I found my prior results, however I re-ran speed tests today again with my R7000 connected double NAT to a different router and out to my CAX80 in modem mode only. R7000 IS working to spec speeds on a 1Gb service:

R7000v10834.pngR7000v10834_900MpbsWiredBehindRBRRouterModeCAX80ModemMode.png

Windows 10x64 ethernet connected to R7000.

QoS IS disabled. 

Message 19 of 21
dwhiting1985
Guide

Hi everyone, sorry I havent replied in a while. I have had a very hard couple of weeks with my Dad passing away. 

But I would like to say, I did absolutely nothing to the router, changed no settings, nothing. The problem seemed to fix itself!?

I have not had any more problems with it. So I dont know what was going on. Maybe the router was having a bad day, arent we all entitled to that haha. 

But thank you again for all the help. I at least know what speeds my router should be able to handle now though because all the replies. 

Good day to all and stay safe!

Message 20 of 21
plemans
Guru

Sorry for your loss. 

If you have further issues, don't hesitate to let us know!

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7