Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 Firmware Update

spinningstill
Aspirant

R7000 Firmware Update

Have this router and looks like there is new firmware but the router doesn't see it. Current firmware is V1.0.9.88_10.2.88. Looks like it is up to date 1.0.11.136?

Have had this awesome thing for years. Have a new one on order. But wondering about this update.

Graciously,

Gary

Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: R7000 Firmware Update

Message 2 of 8
spinningstill
Aspirant

Yea, just wondering why the update doesn't show up. 

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

Seemed like the R7000 auto-update stalled out on that version a lot. 

Message 4 of 8
wcalifas
Prodigy

If you have no issues with your R7000 I'd stay with whatever firmware it has, I've read over some of these forums people complaining about issues with firmwares on that model. 

Message 5 of 8
spinningstill
Aspirant

Right, ours has worked flawlessly. But it is about 8 years old. We are in the mountains and just got Starlink. Have a new one on order and will sell this one while I can. 

Message 6 of 8

@wcalifas wrote:

If you have no issues with your R7000 I'd stay with whatever firmware it has, I've read over some of these forums people complaining about issues with firmwares on that model. 

While that can make sense if someone has problems, it could be a bad idea with a router that is far behind the curve.

Many of the "security fixes" that new firmware claims to implement are theoretical threats that no one has seen in the real world. They just come out of the nerd labs. But you can't guarantee that they will not bite you.

But some firmware updates have significant changes in how a router works. For example, it can add (or remove) features.

With the R7000, it is old enough to predate the use of the Nighthawk App. It came with the Netgear Netgear app, not to be confused with the desktop Genie for your operating system..

Remember, firmware updates are reversible. If you have issues after you add one, you can roll back to a version that works for you.

Message 7 of 8
spinningstill
Aspirant

Right, thank you.

I have the Nighthawk WiFi 6 Router (RAX70) on order. I figured it is best to upgrade now and turn around and sell the old router since the old one is still being sold new. I am hoping the RAX70 performs better.

Graciously,

Gary

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7