Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 Firmware Upgrade Why?

Longwave
Tutor

R7000 Firmware Upgrade Why?

Email telling me to chage R7000 firmware says it corrects a security issue.  But when I click on the URL provided the page says the information has been removed or moved.

So, what security issue is the latest upgrade supposed to correct?

Other than the security issue, if there is one, why should I upgrade?

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
storm1985
Prodigy

Message 2 of 10

All Replies
storm1985
Prodigy

check this thread

Message 2 of 10
rpoffen
Virtuoso

I believe it was a fairly minor issue related to security when using ReadyShare. The FW was pulled because of the hundreds of complaints about all the stuff that broke with this update.

Supposedly they are preparing a new version that isn't so broken.

Even if you were able to find the FW image, I highly recommend you do NOT upgrade at this time.

Message 3 of 10
Longwave
Tutor

Thanks for the info.  Guess we are in a time warp back to 1982 when the only reliable support was from other users.  Guess it is too much troulble for Netgear to put the reply on ther web site so their link would actually work to provide information. (sarcasm in case no one noticed)

Appreciate your help.

Message 4 of 10
rpoffen
Virtuoso

Here is the link to the security description.

Message 5 of 10
Killhippie
Prodigy

Somehow I'm not holding my breath, the last few updates have been awful for many, personally I had no issues. I'm not going to downgrade I'll await the new release. Netgear no longer seem the router of choice for myself, their lack of inovation, and the stupid idea of adding things like Arlo support which seemed like a built in commercial for their own products has shown them to be at the back of the pack. The GUI is so in need of a refresh too.

Message 6 of 10
rpoffen
Virtuoso

I am not worried too much about the GUI, except that its responsiveness is acceptable and has the settings and features available. I certainly don't go into the GUI that often, so it isn't like it needs to be fancy. I would rather they concentrate on fixing the issues, such as IPV6, ReadyShare, etc before adding features like Arlo, SmarConnect, etc.
Message 7 of 10
Killhippie
Prodigy

When looking at the Asus GUI, the Netgear is over simplified, the XVortex firmware is much better with a detailed GUI thats responsive and easy to use. V1.6.0.28 slowed down the R7000 a lot compared to 1.0.4.30. IPV6 does needs fixing as you say, this has been going on for years now and is just sad tbh. Arlo should be an add on, I dont want it or need it and it seems, as I have said before, that Netgear is pushing its toys on us. Arlo is not important to most people, its advertising really.
This is a router and I want the core features to work. Arlo should have been opt in as well, if it has to be included. I was looking at the R7800 as my next router but have ordered the RT-AC88U it has more ports, a better feature set and Ai protcetion, which is generally useful, more so than a camera SSID. The Netgear GUI is tired things like transmit power have been added and look awful, a new GUI is needed, its been around for way to many years, and it does not give users the ability to tweak without using third party firmware. Netgear has totally fallen behind with its line of routers as I see it at this stage with appaling firmware. Spend some time with XVortex and you will see what I mean.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 8 of 10
brazillianguy
Aspirant

how can we go to older firmware versions. .The one before this, i didn't have issues... but this lastest one is a complete turd.... thanks in advance...

Message 9 of 10
JamesGL
Master

Hi brazillianguy,

You can download old firmwares via the link below.

http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/product/R7000#searchResults

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7