Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.11.130 - Just showed up Jan 6, 2022

Miked2
Apprentice

R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.11.130 - Just showed up Jan 6, 2022

The release notes say only: 

• Fixes security vulnerabilities.

Anyone tried this one?  I am afraid... 

But, I always hope they fix some of the other ongoing stuff, like the Attached Devices list missing most of the attached devices.

Thanks

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 52
plemans
Guru

I'd recommend trying it. If the latest versions have worked pretty well, they tend to stay working. Its just if you've had to stay on the 1.0.9.42 version that devices tend to have issues. 

So make a backup of the current setup and give it a shot. If it isn't great, downgrade it. 

Message 2 of 52
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@Miked2 wrote:

The release notes say only: 

• Fixes security vulnerabilities.

Anyone tried this one?  I am afraid... 

But, I always hope they fix some of the other ongoing stuff, like the Attached Devices list missing most of the attached devices.

Thanks

@Miked2 @plemans  Yeah well, you take your chances on updating with this model. I bought my own R7000 AC1900 router brand new v.64 out of the box. Every single firmware update was fine, no issues at all until v.128 and that completely broke my 5ghz WiFi band so I had to revert to v.126 and everything was sweet again.

From a personal perspective, I have lost faith completely in Netgear's ability to provide worthwhile updates for this model. Even at time of writing this, the Nighthawk App on my iPhone and my browser GUI states there isn't a newer firmware for the AC1900 model when clearly there is because it's on their download page. This was the same for the whole of the period of the last update from v.26 to v.28, stated there was no newer update. This has been the same situation for just about every single update they've pushed out, both the Nighthawk App and the browser GUI stating there isn't an update when there is. That just goes to show the level of interest Netgear have in my opinion. I would seriously love to know exactly what vulnerabilites Netgear believe they've fixed over so many updates in the last 2 years!

Bottom line is for me, I've now given up downloading their so called 'firmware updates' because even the attached devices list isn't showing the correct information, i.e. shows I have 5ghz WiFi devices connected to 2ghz devices when they are not.

For the most part for me, it's a decent enough router but there are clearly much better offerings out there. I keep telling myself I'm going to upgrade to a WiFi 6 router, but I've only had this Netgear R7000 for two years but I want to at least get a bit more monies worth out of it before junking it or selling it on.

Message 3 of 52
NG_Sucks
Aspirant

This firmware is junk.....just like half of all the other levels of firmware they release.  Honestly I have no idea how this place stays in business or whoever makes firmware still has a job.

As near as I can tell, the "security update" is that accessing the router now requires a 10 to 32 character password with 1 upper and 1 lower case letter.  Woohoo. 

Once you get into the GUI guess what?  It doesn't work!  The interface locks up every time I try to make a change....and then it won't let you re-connect to the GUI until you reboot the router.

OMG........if this wasn't all so incredibly ridiculous it would be funny.  But I stopped laughing when every other firmware release breaks the router.

Message 4 of 52
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@NG_Sucks  I can't argue with anything you've pointed out. Indeed I'm wondering why Netgear even bother releasing firmware updates for the R7000 AC1900 because I've struggled to see over the last 9 updates exactly what it is they're supposed to have 'fixed'. Indeed many complaints about this router appear to revolve around the firmware.

At the end of the day, this model router is now almost 9 years (2013) since it was first released, literally pre-historic in respect of what is available today and there is only so much Netgear can do with this piece of kit. I mentioned in another thread I was hanging on because I wanted to get another year out of my own R7000, but I'm now actively looking at a brand new WiFi 6 router, and it won't be Netgear. I've actually only got myself to blame for buying this router, lured by the price at the time. For me, it's so far been an interesting 2 years of seemingly pointless firmware updates that have added little if any useful features other than allegedly 'fixing' security issues but as part of the update process, then goes on to break something. We live and learn!

Message 5 of 52
Bill-D
Apprentice

'128 was unstable when I installed it over '126 without erasing first.  But, '128 was stable when I erased before installing it.  So, I'm reluctant to install '130 over '128 without erasing first.  The time-consuming pain with erasing first is that it requires manual re-entry of all configuration settings which is worse if, like me, you have many reserved addresses.  

Why in the world NG can't make their updates install without erasing the configuration first is beyond me.  I believe this is the reason they eliminated auto-updates.

I agree with the comments above about the quality of NG's R7000 FW.  As far as it being pre-historic, it uses the pre-2007 rules for Daylight savings time.

I've got two R7000's and I'm living with them until I find a compelling replacement.

Message 6 of 52
plemans
Guru

for the most part, you shouldn't need to erase/factory reset before/after updating. We usually only recommend it if there's an issue. 

You can always make a backup configuration and do a in place upgrade. and if there's issues, downgrade back and restore the old configuration

Message 7 of 52
Miked2
Apprentice

I agree the R7000 is now quite old and the firmware updates have been problematic for years..  I hate having to reset it to do updates as I have specific settings that I have to re-enter and all the DHCP reservations get lost, so I usually have to reboot every device before it works correctly.  For a while now, the "attached devices" list is missing most of the "attached devices".  Looksing at competing products, most seem to have many similar issues.  Have a suggestion for a reasoable replacement?

Message 8 of 52
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@Miked2 wrote:

..........Have a suggestion for a reasoable replacement?

@Miked2  I'm pretty much settled on buying a TP-Link Archer GX90 which should give me a bit more future proofing than my Negtear R7000. My patience with the R7000 has now worn just a bit thin lol!

Message 9 of 52
Scupper1
Guide

For me, 130 fixed the issue of devices not showing up properly.  No stability or loss of connection issues.

BTW - just updated without factory reset.

Message 10 of 52
Miked2
Apprentice

You are making me feel brave!!!   Such optimism on your part could backfire, as you have set mt expectations...   Wish me luck!

Message 11 of 52
Bill-D
Apprentice

@Scupper1 - You are inspiring me also.  What version did you update from?  Was it '128?

Message 12 of 52
Miked2
Apprentice

FYI:  Please let us know if the Attached Device list keeps working.  Sometimes just a reboot fixes it temporarily.  Thanks

Message 13 of 52
Scupper1
Guide

Previous version was 128.

Updated to 130 via a wired connection, shut off all devices and modem for 10 minutes. Turned on modem, waited 10 minutes, turned on devices.
Message 14 of 52
Scupper1
Guide

Will do.
Message 15 of 52
Scupper1
Guide

After 48 hours and two reboots just to check, everthing seems good.

All the devices are visible in the GUI and Nighthawk app (Android).

Only glitch I can see is one Apple iPhone shows up, but without it's name.

Message 16 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

Dissble the Private Address feature on the phone, then the right host name for the phone will appear. 

@Scupper1 wrote:

Message 17 of 52
Miked2
Apprentice

HI:

With your encouragement, I rebooted and applied the 130 firmware (no reset).  So far all good and all devices show in the attached devices list.  Maybe they actually fixed something?  If all goes bad, I will just blame you  😉

Thanks

Message 18 of 52
Bill-D
Apprentice

@Scupper1 wrote:

I've been on '130 for 24 hrs.  Seems Ok, so far.  I edited a device name in the Attached Devices list and the router immediately refused any further browser access, but it kept routing.  A power-cycle reboot restored its browser access and I saw my device name edit was successfully.  So, I guess you could rename devices if you were willing to suffer through a reboot with each edit.  Maybe that's NG's big security improvement - requiring a reboot after each edit :Smiley Very Happy

Message 19 of 52
Miked2
Apprentice

@Bill-D wrote:
@Scupper1 wrote:

I've been on '130 for 24 hrs.  Seems Ok, so far.  I edited a device name in the Attached Devices list and the router immediately refused any further browser access, but it kept routing.  A power-cycle reboot restored its browser access and I saw my device name edit was successfully.  So, I guess you could rename devices if you were willing to suffer through a reboot with each edit.  Maybe that's NG's big security improvement - requiring a reboot after each edit :Smiley Very Happy

So, I had to try.  I edited an item in the device list, and the exact same result, the router refused access, unti I rebooted it.  Figures Netgear cant actually do anything totaly right!

Message 20 of 52
Bill-D
Apprentice

It gets worse.  Without making any more edits, I came back later and again couldn't access it from my browser.  Had to reboot again to regain access.  Later, I came back a 3rd time and browser access worked.  Go figure!   

Message 21 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

I would either power OFF the router for 1 minute then back ON, or factory reset and setup from scratch maybe needed. 

Message 22 of 52
Miked2
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I would either power OFF the router for 1 minute then back ON, or factory reset and setup from scratch maybe needed. 

Power cycle done...

I thougtht I got away with a clean and easy firmware update, no reset required.  Now I remember why I hate this product so much?!

Thx

Message 23 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

Reset maybe needed...

Message 24 of 52
SDan67
Tutor

Sadly, same behavior as others:

1. Everytime I rename a device I lost access to the Router
    • In order to gain access again I have to reboot.
  2. Almost evey 48 hours I lost access to the router until It gets rebooted
  3. Below two points are impacting my shared HDD, everytime the webserver chrash (lost web access to the router) I cannot get my files.
  4. My App on Android was working just fine on the release 1.0.11.100 and now.. the message I got is "logon timeout"
  5. I lost the "Amywhere" Section on the router and is not working anymore

• Peraphs a really bad quality or just Netgear trying to let us know to buy Orbit.
Message 25 of 52
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7