Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 Firmware upgrade to 1.0.7.2 broke Cisco AnyConnect client

Scott_VA
Aspirant

R7000 Firmware upgrade to 1.0.7.2 broke Cisco AnyConnect client

Windows 7 environment - I logged into the router admin app on my home network and saw a message that a new Firmware update to 1.0.7.2 was available, so I took it.  After the modem rebooted, everything looked ok except my work laptop can no longer connect via Cisco AnyConnect VPN client 3.1.x to the office.  I can connect to two other VPN environments successfully (they use Nortel and CheckPoint VPN clients).

For some reason the HTTP probe sent by Cisco AnyConnect to the office VPN appliance is no longer connecting and AnyConnect believes it is on a Captive portal (like those used at hotels, coffee shops, etc.), and I am prompted to authenticate with any browser.  When I open a browser, of course, there is no login dialog - because I am at home and not in a Captive enivronment.

From what I read in the Cisco help, a false Captive environment can occur if the HTTP probe fails.  The probe actually sends an HTTPS message, and expects an HTTPS response.  Did something in the firware upgrade hose this up?  I see in the Windows Event Log: SOCKETTRANSPORT_ERROR_CONNECT_TIMEOUT and HTTP_PROBE_ASYNC_ERROR_CANNOT_CONNECT.  It smells like the firmware update changed something on the router so the probe is now failing (note: I was connected to the Cisco VPN when I updated the router firmware using another machine on the home network).  Normally the VPN reconnects itself automatically, and this time it didn't - when I tried to connect manually I saw the Captive Portal message that suggested I open a browser to authenticate.

Any ideas as to why the Cisco VPN client is having problems with the R7000 firmware update, or what I might need to set or reset to allow the Probe to get through?

Thanks,

Scott

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
Scott_VA
Aspirant

Re: R7000 Firmware upgrade to 1.0.7.2 broke Cisco AnyConnect client

The issue is resolved - whether or not it had something to do with the firmware I don't know.

I drove into the office and reinstalled my VPN client to an updated version of the software.  Once home, I was able to connect to the office from the home network without any issues.  I notice the updated AnyConnect client version 4.2 now has a configuration option to Disable Captive Portal Detection, but I didn't need to check it to connect successfully to VPN.

Cheers

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
Scott_VA
Aspirant

Re: R7000 Firmware upgrade to 1.0.7.2 broke Cisco AnyConnect client

The issue is resolved - whether or not it had something to do with the firmware I don't know.

I drove into the office and reinstalled my VPN client to an updated version of the software.  Once home, I was able to connect to the office from the home network without any issues.  I notice the updated AnyConnect client version 4.2 now has a configuration option to Disable Captive Portal Detection, but I didn't need to check it to connect successfully to VPN.

Cheers

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7