Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 NAS Drive Can't Delete Files Folders Permissions Issue User \ Nobody

alancable
Aspirant

Re: R7000 NAS Drive Can't Delete Files Folders Permissions Issue User \ Nobody

I have the same problems that have been listed above:

Cannot delete files/directories due to user/nobody problem

Usually when this happens, the entire previous contents of the directory are lost.

I have just updated to firmware to Firmware Version
V1.0.4.30_1.1.6

The firmware version you show (1.0.5.44 etc) is not available on my screen.

I am also scanning and fixing the disc drive with windows.

Can anyone tell me if the new firmware and fixing the drive resolves the problem as it's not clear from the earlier posts that there is a fix. I just can't believe that Netgear would not fix this after 2 years.

Message 76 of 81
PaulVdB
Tutor

As you could see in my previous message(s), I had the same problems on my R7500 router (top dollar model ...). After dealing about 6 months (SIX MONTHS!!!) with "support" where they made me format the drive with NTFS, then ExFat, then NTFS again, and in the meanwhile having me change the firmware several times, it finally seems to work. The eSata drive (4T Western Digital) that is connected to the router finally works. The firmware version that I use now is V1.0.0.83-eSATAdbg.

Nevertheless, I'm quite sure that it is not the firm(soft)ware that is the culprit, but that the hardware is just crappy. If you experience the same problem with another Netgear product, I think we can conclude that ALL (or at least MANY) hardware from them is doubtful...

If I were you, I would try to get the latest firmware available and reformat (NTSC) the drive. You'll have to connect it to your PC because a formatting option is not available in the(my) Netgear software. Be sure to RESET the router/nas every time and reinstall the firmware every time... I hope you'll have the same luck as I had and .get it working after a few tries...

For me : NEVER Netgear again !

Good Luck!

Message 77 of 81
JoeTwoPointOh
Initiate

@PaulVdB wrote:

As you could see in my previous message(s), I had the same problems on my R7500 router (top dollar model ...). After dealing about 6 months (SIX MONTHS!!!) with "support" where they made me format the drive with NTFS, then ExFat, then NTFS again, and in the meanwhile having me change the firmware several times, it finally seems to work. The eSata drive (4T Western Digital) that is connected to the router finally works. The firmware version that I use now is V1.0.0.83-eSATAdbg.

Nevertheless, I'm quite sure that it is not the firm(soft)ware that is the culprit, but that the hardware is just crappy. If you experience the same problem with another Netgear product, I think we can conclude that ALL (or at least MANY) hardware from them is doubtful...

If I were you, I would try to get the latest firmware available and reformat (NTSC) the drive. You'll have to connect it to your PC because a formatting option is not available in the(my) Netgear software. Be sure to RESET the router/nas every time and reinstall the firmware every time... I hope you'll have the same luck as I had and .get it working after a few tries...

For me : NEVER Netgear again !

Good Luck!

It's 2016 and I'm Using different backup software with fully functional controls. Even after uninstalling readyshare vault I cannot delete the old backup files I no longer need! To think I almost purchased a Netgear readyshare NAS backup box. Dodged a bullet there! No help from whomever calls themselves Netgear Support!

Message 78 of 81
theroom
Initiate

I was luckier than you guys. I had the same problem deleting ordinary files. Problem resolved itself by right clicking the offending folder -- properties --security.  There i added full perimissions to the folder for my user.  also unchecked read-only on the general tab.  then the folder deleted ok.  

Model: R7500|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi Router
Message 79 of 81
PaulVdB
Tutor

Smiley Happy yeah you have more luck than I had. I also tried to juggle with permissions etc. But the files I couldn't erase just didn't let me change any of the atributes... whatever I tried : always "admission/permission denied" Only a full delete of the folder deleted the "undeletable" file...

But I do have to say that I don't have those problems anymore. I have the V1.0.0.83-eSATAdbg firmware running. And (at the advice of Netgear support) I reformatted the drive for the 4th time (NTFS). The drive was formatted NTFS originally, Netgear support made me reformat it first to NTFS again, when this didn't solve the problem, they made me reformat the drive with EXFAT. When this still didn't do any good, they made me reformat the drive again to NTFS. And then it worked ... !! ?? !!. Nobody could answer my question "why now, and why not with earlier made formats ... ?" Since then I didn't have any problems with this eSata drive. But I don't dare to use it for storage of Very-Great-Impotance-files...
I'm looking for a DECENT router that has also 2 real USB ports (not as in R7500 that only supports "some" USB devices e.g., NOT my Canon Scanner... Smiley Sad) and an eSata port that works guaranteed !... And of course a good (better than R7500!!) 5G wifi... And of course a user interface that ALWAYS starts, and doesn't freeze or takes ages to go from one menu to another...
some one has a tip for me where to look for such a thing ?

Message 80 of 81
PaulVdB
Tutor

After a few reformats of the drive, it worked for me. The files on the eSata drive are exactly like the "standard" Windows Explorer. I can save, load, delete, change properties etc... Since it worked, I had to power down the router once, and after a restart, nothing had changed. Everything still working. (except the bad 5G wifi, and the "freaky" interface, but that was like before)...

Model: R7500v2|Nighthawk X4 AC2350 Smart WiFi
Message 81 of 81
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7