Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 New Firmware 1.0.6.28 released

GyroD4
Tutor

I have cycled the power on the router but haven't tried a hard reset (reset button).  Is a hard reset required for the firmware to update properly? I can see the 2.4Ghz is there from my devices, they just won't complete the login process. I do not broadcast my SSID's, but have even tried broadcasting to no avail....

Message 26 of 321
LeeH
Prodigy

Many people experience problems when they don't reset the router after doing a firmware update.  Press in the reset button for 30 seconds to ensure a proper reset.

I reset both before and after a firmware flash because I had a problem once when I didn't reset before a firmware flash.

Message 27 of 321
hugoless
Tutor

A hard reset, I have not done this before. Is there a procedure to follow ?

Do a hard reset completely clear the settings and do I have to save my settings ?

Is it the same as a "complete factory reset" ?

Thanks

Message 28 of 321
jflorance
Star

I'm assuming by doing a complete reset we will end up with the factory settings. If so, can we restore our previous configuration with a backup or is the point to recreate the previous config using the new firmware? I have a pretty simple configuration but I could see this being a big deal for a lot of people.

Message 29 of 321
shamarin
Virtuoso

Yes, you can use your config file from previous firmware after hardware reseting of router after an update. I made the same during beta testing of new FW and all settings was restored good.

Message 30 of 321
LeKeiser
Luminary

thought it was better, if not a must do, NOT to use the backups when it was a new firmware release, like here going from 1.0.5 to 1.0.6? Read something about it from TheEther.

Message 31 of 321
TheEther
Guru

Yes, restoring from a backup file can undo the effect of a factory reset.  1.0.5.48 introduced some big changes, so do not restore from a backup created from an earlier version.  

Going from 1.0.5.48 to 1.0.6.28 may work because I doubt any new incompatibilities were introduced, but a factory reset is a sure way to start from a clean slate.

Message 32 of 321
GyroD4
Tutor

Just went through the hard reset process.  Took a bit of time to put all of my network settings and ACL's in, but I am now up and running again.  When I re-flashed the firmware the Arlo network was automatically turned on so I turned it off since I don't have any Arlo cameras.  Thanks all for your time and comments.  Back to lurking until the next firmware update...

Message 33 of 321
ablatt
Apprentice

How does this firmware compare to 1.0.4.30 for 5GHz wireless range and throughput?  And noticeable difference either way?

Message 34 of 321
Jmhere
Tutor

Latest release breaks the 2.4ghz band with the additon of the Arlo camera function now added into this router (looks like a dedicated network ssid takes over the band and locks it out to Arlo only) - AVOID this release for now and until a fix is released. 

Message 35 of 321
fstarne
Aspirant

My 2.4Gz network is just fine

Message 36 of 321
Jmhere
Tutor

Guest Wifi function still works on 2.4Ghz

Message 37 of 321
Killhippie
Prodigy

There is nothing wrong with 2.4Ghz network, using this firmware, and arlo can be turned off in basic settings. If you are having issues try a full reset do not restore from a backup and if you still are having issues maybe you have hardware problems.

Message 38 of 321
Obi43
Initiate

After several hard resets,  I found that when you disable 2.4 G network the ARLO WIFI starts,  and viceversa.

Of course "Arlo enable"  is unchecked.

Message 39 of 321
jflorance
Star

I did a factory reset and manually configured my settings. I haven't tested every 2.4Ghz device in the house but seems to have worked. I don't remember which firmware version I updated from but I am sure it was 6-9 months old. I am going to assume that taking a long leap in firmware versions was the culprit.

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I don't think there is one cause for all the issues people are seeing. Remember, your actual mileage may vary. 

Message 40 of 321
LeKeiser
Luminary

Well I decided to go for this new firmware. Did a reset, then uploaded the firmware from my computer, then re-applied all my settings. So far, so good I think. I have activated the access control feature with all my devices (yeah yeah I know TheEther 😄 ) and I can still see my printer so ReadyShare Printer seems to be working also.

I'll see how stable the router is. WiFi seems to be correct, I haven't noticed any lag yet. I'll see later when I watch Luther on Netflix, better work or there'll be mayhem!! 🙂

Ah, I didn't reset the router AFTER the upgrade. Thought what's the point of doing another reset to go back to which firmware, since I have just uploaded the latest one? 

Message 41 of 321
joprix
Guide

After upgrading I too have suffered from the total loss of my 2.4Ghz network, which is a real pain. All I get when I try to connect is "cannot connect to this network", which tells me nothing.

Don't Netgear test this stuff before releasing it? So now all my wireless stuff will only work over 5Ghz. I'm hoping Netgear will release a fix for this stuff-up.

Any suggestions; baby steps please, I have no idea what I'm doing with this.

Message 42 of 321
LeKeiser
Luminary

Oh one thing I did notice and forgot to mention is that if I hide the SSID of my WiFi, then my devices cannot connect at all. I have to enable it to make it work. 

Bug then?

Message 43 of 321
jflorance
Star

I consider myself moderately technical when it comes to networking. I suggest reviewing and screen capturing your current configuration and then do the reset. If you keep the old SSID and passwords you should be in good shape. Took me 15 minutes to capture everything and 15 minutes to reconfigure. I have some port forwarding, otherwise it would have gone quicker. 

I never looked to see if there was a network configuration export. It would be nice. The configuration backup file is binary so you can't read it.

Message 44 of 321
chopin70
Virtuoso

1.06 fw killed my p2p speed

This happens after some time of the router running with some p2p load. Suddenly, the speed drops to near 5 kbs and all the peers cannot connect anymore

It needs a reboot of teh router and speed is back

I reconfigured the ports after update and UpnP seems correctly set

Seems really unstable even for a light p2p load after a few hours

Message 45 of 321
LeKeiser
Luminary

Was it a reply to my post? If it's a yes, then there is something I don't understand: a reset would revert the router to which firmware? The factory one? Or the one I have just uploaded? 

I did a reset, uploaded the latest firmware, and started anew to enter the mac addresses of my devices, the port forwarding rules, and so on. 

Everything seem ot be working well except the WiFi if I hide the SSID. In that case, my device can't log on the network. Maybe I've missed a configuration option somewhere?

Message 46 of 321
jflorance
Star

I think a reset leaves it at what ever firmware is currently loaded. When I reset, I was still at the latest with no configuration. 

I noticed if I stop broadcasting my 2.4Ghz ssid, all devices disconnect and never reconnect, even if they had "automatically connect when available" on. Turn broadcast back on and everything is fine. There may be more going on here than I understand. I always broadcast so I'm not sure I can call it a bug.

Message 47 of 321
Jmhere
Tutor

Yes after a reset it will boot to the last firmware that was installed. And in order to connect to a network that's not broadcasting you have to select that option on the device. In windows right click on the connection goto properties and you will see an option to connect even if this network is not broadcasting.
Message 48 of 321
LeKeiser
Luminary

All my devices are set up so that they will connect to the WiFi configured even if it's not broadcasting its ssid. But in this case, it doesn't work. 

Message 49 of 321
jflorance
Star

I tried that and was reconnected to the ssid that was not broadcasting. I think everything is working with this firmware as far as I can test.

Message 50 of 321
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7