Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 Nighthawk Wired Connection Is Much Faster than Wireless

GamerX102
Aspirant

R7000 Nighthawk Wired Connection Is Much Faster than Wireless

I'm using an R7000 Nighthawk currently and after testing internet speeds using speedtest.net, I found that a desktop that is directly connected with ethernet is more than 100 Mbps faster than a wireless laptop which is only one room away from the router (The wired desktop gets ~140 - ~160 Mbps, while the laptop gets ~30 - ~40 Mbps). Any help would be great. 

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
GamerX102
Aspirant

Thanks to everyone who tried to help, but there was an IT friend of my dad who came and said it was a certain chip (or something of the sort) in my computer that was wrong, so we got a Linksys Max-Stream AC600 Wi-Fi Micro USB Adapter. I can now get 90 Mbps on download. Thanks again for everyone's help.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12

All Replies

This is totally normal and understandable. Ethernet is always faster than wifi and if wifi is a bit obstructed by walls the perf is crashing big time. For my Network backbone I use cat6 eth cable and with my R8500 or R7000 I'm getting awesome results 120 peak for 8500 and 105 Peak for 7000 Mo/s from NAS to PC wired! the weak points are ISP connections and wifi on a network!

Message 2 of 12
GamerX102
Aspirant

I didn't think that it would cause so much of a difference. I know that wired will always be faster, but I didn't think the difference would be so great. I've been able to get 70 Mbps wireless before now.

Message 3 of 12

I forgot what is your wall type, My grand mother's house walls are 1.5 m thick concrete stone and iron!! A pure technological **bleep** for devices!

Message 4 of 12

What is your laptop?

What is your adaptator if one?

Message 5 of 12
GamerX102
Aspirant

I have an ASUS laptop, with an i5 processor, 6 GB of ram, with Windows 10. What do you mean by adapter?

Message 6 of 12
IrvSp
Master

There are two measurements you should make. First is using your ISP's speedtest site, both on a wired and wireless device. Next is just via the router, that is a file transfer from the wired PC to the wireless PC. A program like LanSpeedTest (http://totusoft.com/lanspeed/) can do that for you.

Also, the Wireless Network Device could be the bottleneck, you didn't mention the type, but I suspect G, not N. If N, then there could be a setting that needs to be changed on the R7000. Post a screenshot of those settings... even the wrong security that doesn't work well with your network card can cause slowdowns.

What my settings are:

Capture.JPG

Message 7 of 12

Well for the adapter, your wifi could be low quality only bgn norm. My father wanted an ultra light laptop and end end up with a piece of **bleep** of HP envy 13 only capable of 6.8Mo/s bgn norm while a 6 years old crush it at 25Mo/s with the a Norm. And the cherry on the cake with signal interruption every 7 Gb transmitted. My mom's one is a 5 year old Dell only bng but with 3 reinforced concrete walls and story in between the router is still transmitting at 3,5Mo/s but at least it can transfer data up to 700Gb in a data in 2 days with flying colors! So check your wifi adapter and see what type it is and what types of walls do you have! Cheer up!

Message 8 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@GamerX102 wrote:

I have an ASUS laptop, with an i5 processor, 6 GB of ram, with Windows 10. What do you mean by adapter?

All laptops have a spec sheet look-up the WIFI specs and it will state it's capabilities. Then confirm it's setup under device settings. Most require A/B/G be enabled to use 5G for example. A will not be a (listed) option if the WIFI is 2.4 ONLY.

Message 9 of 12
IrvSp
Master

Open DEVICE MANAGER and under NETWORK you'll see the Network Card/Adapter you have. Google the adapter and you can find its spec's there. Many are NOT dual band, that is they can NOT connect to both 2.4 and 5Ghz bands, most are single and that is the 2.4Ghz band. Only the 5Ghz band can handle AC and all other speeds while the 2.4Ghz tops out at N speed and many can't even do that and top out at G Speed.

Message 10 of 12
GamerX102
Aspirant

Thanks to everyone who tried to help, but there was an IT friend of my dad who came and said it was a certain chip (or something of the sort) in my computer that was wrong, so we got a Linksys Max-Stream AC600 Wi-Fi Micro USB Adapter. I can now get 90 Mbps on download. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Message 11 of 12
IrvSp
Master

That is probably due to the security your PC was capable of using. Probably couldn't handle AES and had to use TKIP. See here, http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/use-aes-tkip-faster-wi-fi-network/, and from it:

--------------

TKIP is a deprecated encryption method, and apart from security concerns, it’s known to slow down systems that still run it.

--------------

So you have to select "WPA-PSK [TKIP] + WPA2-PSK [AES]" in security to use it. I'm sure the new USB device uses AES.

Not uncommon on older (5 years or more) PC's/Laptop's, especially 'cheaper' ones.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7