Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 OpenDNS "This domain is blocked due to content filtering."

MHISSTC
Aspirant

R7000 OpenDNS "This domain is blocked due to content filtering."

Our router now regularly blocks websites that were never previously blocked. It doesn't matter if we're trying to access them wirelessly from a laptop or hardwired into the router from our desktop.  Specifically, checking our state lottery page for powerball numbers, it now categorizes it as a "gambling" site and blocks it. It's never done this before. The router was originally installed and setup last August and we have not made any changes to any security or parental settings since that time. I have double checked that all of our router Firmware is up to date, our Genie is the most recent version, and the Live Parental Controls are enabled and set to "minimal".  I'm at a loss of what else I can check or do to make it work.  All computers, router, and cable modem have been powered off and on multiple times.  I bypassed the router and plugged our computer directly into our cable modem and was able to view the blocked sites no problem, so I have definitely narrowed it down to an issue with the router.

I have no idea what to try at this point and would appreciate any additional guidance.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
MHISSTC
Aspirant

Re: R7000 OpenDNS "This domain is blocked due to content filtering."

I still don't know how the changes came about that modified the parental controls and ended up bocking websites that had never been blocked before, but I did end up resolving the issue after plugging away at it for a while.

I got to the solution after I downloaded the newest verison of the Genie, basically gave up, and started back trough the entire setup wizzard for the router.  Part way through the process I realized that I shouldn't have been logging into the router itself and using the GUI there to set things up as I had done on previous routers as it provides an incomplete picture of the whole home network.  How the parental controls are displayed in the router interface is different than how they are displayed in the Genie.  The Genie also allows you to look at the entire home network and change the permissions of each specific device that isn't available by just logging into the router.  The bottom line is that while I was successfully changing the basic parental controls of the router, I was doing nothing to modify the parental control setting of the individual devices on our home network.  As I investigated each device connected to the router, I was able to specify the parental control level I wanted for each device.  It sounds so simple in retrospect, and I do remember sitting down with my spouce during initial setup to determine what level we should set for each of our family's devices 6 months ago, but had forgotten about doing that since then.

So it ended up being a simple solution to a frustrating problem in which I have no idea how the settings got changed from our original setup configurations.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
LeeH
Prodigy

The change you are seeing is being caused by OpenDNS.  I don't think you can do detailed configuration with the parental controls that are provided with your router.  Not sure since I don't use the OpenDNS service but you might be able to do more detailed configuration with their paid VIP Home service (19.95 a Year).

https://www.opendns.com/home-internet-security/

Message 2 of 3
MHISSTC
Aspirant

I still don't know how the changes came about that modified the parental controls and ended up bocking websites that had never been blocked before, but I did end up resolving the issue after plugging away at it for a while.

I got to the solution after I downloaded the newest verison of the Genie, basically gave up, and started back trough the entire setup wizzard for the router.  Part way through the process I realized that I shouldn't have been logging into the router itself and using the GUI there to set things up as I had done on previous routers as it provides an incomplete picture of the whole home network.  How the parental controls are displayed in the router interface is different than how they are displayed in the Genie.  The Genie also allows you to look at the entire home network and change the permissions of each specific device that isn't available by just logging into the router.  The bottom line is that while I was successfully changing the basic parental controls of the router, I was doing nothing to modify the parental control setting of the individual devices on our home network.  As I investigated each device connected to the router, I was able to specify the parental control level I wanted for each device.  It sounds so simple in retrospect, and I do remember sitting down with my spouce during initial setup to determine what level we should set for each of our family's devices 6 months ago, but had forgotten about doing that since then.

So it ended up being a simple solution to a frustrating problem in which I have no idea how the settings got changed from our original setup configurations.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7