Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 Randomly Losing Connectivity to some computers on network

Viren297
Aspirant

R7000 Randomly Losing Connectivity to some computers on network

I have this R7000 for about 2 years now, but recently I am randomly losing ablility to ping some computers/devices/printer in my home network or connect to them in any other way. Those computers/devices stay connected with the internet and do not show any problem with their resepctive connections to the router. But, they don't show up in the Connected Devices page on the router settings, nor are they vivible to other set of devices in the same network. These devices are on both the bands of this dual band router. Nothing works, except rebooting the router, only to re-occur few hours/couple of days later.

I think it started after I upgraded to this firmware V1.0.9.26_10.2.31 about a month ago. Now it is happening very frequently. I have the usual mix of devices: 3-4 Windows 10 PCs, Android Phones, iPad, Apple TV, Roku, Fire TV, Chromecast, Printer, VOIP etc.

I turn WiFi off during the nights using the schedule. Not sure if it is related.

Has anone else seen this kind of issue? If so, any suggestions to resolve it would be greatly appreciated!

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
JamesGL
Master

Re: R7000 Randomly Losing Connectivity to some computers on network

Hi Viren297,

Have you performed a factory reset on the device after the update?

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 12

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

I wondering if they could be connected to a different network?

One reason is you turn the router off. Some of those devices could then locate another SSID to connect to.

You can verify this by looking at the Network Properties of the devices and see if they are on the same subset of the network, that is the first 3 octets in the IP Address are the same. Windows can also have some isolation using different network names but that wouldn't mean anything to the R7000. If there are PC's that are mixed, some showing, some not, open a CMD prompt and issue 'IPCONGIF /ALL' and compare the IP Addresses and default gateway as well as the DNS. The last 2 should all match.

Is it possible that the modem you have is also a router? That would explain it if they connected to it...

Message 2 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Any other wifi neighbors near by? if so, how many and what channels are they using? 

Try setting manual 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. 

Set WPA2 and AES only. 

If this doesn't help, try downgrading FW to last working version and see. Seen others mentioning issues with recent version. Some recommend v1.0.7.

Message 3 of 12
Viren297
Aspirant

Thank you for your response @FURRYe38

There are several neighbors around me, they have always been there, which is why I had set my channel to be selected automatically. For 2.4Ghz it is currently set to 9, and for 5Ghz 161. Checked it with Wifi Analyzer, there is no neighbor on channel 9 for 2.4Ghz near me. And, I am already using WPA2-PSK [AES]

I considered going back to the older firmware, but I suppose they had some security fixes for the recent vulnerabilities in V1.0.9.26_10.2.31, which is why I was skeptical in reverting to older firmware. So instead, I tried upgrading to the latest firmware again, by downloading it in the PC rather than OTA. Still no use...

Message 4 of 12
Viren297
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply @IrvSp

The IP's of these PCs/Devices do not change as they remain in the same network and subnet. For example, I have two PCs for work, both Windows 10, they both can't connect when this happens. So, I tried assigning Static IP's to them but still no use.

There is no other network that these devices connect to or are configured to connect to. Except the phones of course.

My modem is not a router. It is a Motorola Surfboard sb6121.

Message 5 of 12
IrvSp
Master

@Viren297, not sure if this is your problem or not, but W10 has really messed up SMB1 protocol. In some cases it has actually removed it when it was found installed.

Without running SMB1 on Windows, Windows Explorer NETWORK Folder,  NET VIEW command, and the MASTER BROWSER just don't work or at best, do not show ALL devices on the network. It is quite possible that this is also not allowing the router to see them and get info to put them on the attached device list.

You can check to see if SMB1 is enabled open a CMD prompt and run 'sc query mrxsmb10' and check the state, is should look like this:

C:\>sc query mrxsmb10

SERVICE_NAME: mrxsmb10
        TYPE               : 2  FILE_SYSTEM_DRIVER
        STATE              : 4  RUNNING
                                (STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)
        WIN32_EXIT_CODE    : 0  (0x0)
        SERVICE_EXIT_CODE  : 0  (0x0)
        CHECKPOINT         : 0x0
        WAIT_HINT          : 0x0

----------------

I had a lot of problems with SMB1 disabled on even ONE of the PC's connected to the router (all W10). Problems extended to an iPad that could not even work with the routers DLNA server for the USB Drive. The drive could be seen as a DLNA server but NOTHING could be read off of it. NEW VIEW worked oddly. Sometimes all PC's and the router were seen, other times not, and sometimes nothing showed, not even the PC I ran it on. Finally tracked it down to a PC with a clean install of W10 on it. Somehow the SMB1 Client was not enabled and when that PC powered up and stuff just didn't work right.

Message 6 of 12
Viren297
Aspirant

Thanks again @IrvSp

SMB1 is enabled on all my PC's but would that also mess up my other devices? For example, I spent hours figuring out that my printer was also afffected by this issue. I even at one point tried pinging from my android phone.

This could very well be related with the recent Windows update but not sure how would that affect Android/Media devices etc.

Message 7 of 12
IrvSp
Master

@Viren297, well I'm out of suggestions? I never had that happen to me other than the basic Sharing problems (needed SMB1) and thought it might be related.

MS Updates, possible, but then if that were the case you'd find a lot of similar reports with a Google search.

I got hit on my Wife's PC with the USB problem from the Jan. V1709 update. I tried almost everything I could think of and then these problems started to appear in a Google search. By the time that happened the Feb. update was out. However around the same time she was getting at least once a day BSOD'S of Clock or WHEA errors. Clearly it had to be an MS Update since it all started at the same time. Nope, it was a h/w problem. Opened the case about a week after it started and was surprised to see a layer of dust on the CPU heatsink. Cleaned it off and problem gone. You can never tell....

Message 8 of 12
Viren297
Aspirant

Smiley Happy Yes, sometimes the resolution turns up from the most unexpected places.

Thank you @IrvSp for attempting to resolve my issue.

Hoping that someone else has seen and fixed it.

Message 9 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi Viren297,

Have you performed a factory reset on the device after the update?

Message 10 of 12
Viren297
Aspirant

Yes, I did perform a factory reset last week, and the issue seems to have resolved since then. Thank you!

Message 11 of 12
JamesGL
Master

Hi Viren297,

Glad to know it works for you.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation