Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 Router connectivity and setup problem

Fademan
Aspirant

R7000 Router connectivity and setup problem

Hi there,

I just recently pulled out my old R7000 router from storage in an attempt to deploy it in a new network.

Because I couldn't remember how it was configured, I used the "Reset" toggle at the back and it reset itself.

I then attempted to connect to it, with no success:

- I connected a laptop to one of the LAN ports via ethernet at the back so I could get to the console - the LAN indicator light stayed off and the laptop said "no cable connected" (the cable is fine - i checked).

- I then connected the WAN port to my home modem (so internet was detected), and repeated the above step - with the LAN port not detecting the laptop at all (laptop reporting cable unplugged, router no indicator light).

In the above scenarios - I attempted to turn on / off the router while connected with a cable. The LAN indicator light turned on during the 'boot up' sequence, then turned off once the Wifi indicator lights activated.

- I downloaded the Netgear app on android, and while my phone found "NetGear-5G-Guest" and "Netgear-Guest" - I couldn't connect to either of them - "couldn't authenticate connection" and would drop out / the app path failed.

I'm at a loss here - unless I can somehow connect to the thing and set it up, its nothing more than a brick.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: R7000 Router connectivity and setup problem

Have you tried resetting it again? Push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while powered on? 

If that doesn't help, you can try recoverying it. 

You can try recoving it with tftp or nmrpflash.
are you on windows? if so, follow this guide
https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
just make sure you enable tftp
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-tftp-windows-10

and here's a video walk through using a tftp client. Use the built in one for windows 10 though. the video is more of an example of how its done.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9DLrLQrpaw

and if that doesn't work, you can try using nmrpflash
https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

Message 2 of 6

@plemans wrote:

Have you tried resetting it again? Push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while powered on? 

I see  no hint in the first message that this R7000 is bust. No reference to a flashing power LED.

The fact that the wifi networks are visible suggests that the router is far from "bricked".

If not, then it would be unwise to attack it with anything ekse. That might break it.

It  might help to tell people what this "modem" is that is mentioned in the first message from @Fademan.

Message 3 of 6
Fademan
Aspirant

Thanks for getting back to me.

On further examination - while I thought I had "reset" the device by holding the reset button for 7 seconds - the default wifi SSID "NETGEAR89" (mentioned on the rear of the device) is not being discovered - so I think it hasn't actually reset itself (possibly its only restarting), and its possible that I borked up something in the past in the configuration.

I can see NETGEAR-5G-GUEST and NETGEAR-GUEST appear in my list of available networks when its on. (neither of which I can connect to - I get "Failed to obtain IP address" then "Couldn't authenticate connection" (its open - no password required).

The Modem I attempted to connect to - is the standard NBN modem in Australia that I use for my house into my existing network (which works fine).

Message 4 of 6
Fademan
Aspirant

@plemans wrote:

You can try recoving it with tftp or nmrpflash.
are you on windows? if so, follow this guide
https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP

- I connect a laptop to the router.

- Disable wifi from the laptop

- Change the ethernet settings per the guide

- Connect the laptop to LAN1 , LAN2, LAN3, or LAN4 ports

- The laptop reports "media disconnected", and none of the port lights up on the router.

- Connecting the laptop to the WAN port

- The laptop reports "Unidentified network" and the internet light on the router goes orange.

- However, attempting to ping 192.168.1.1 reads destination unreachable

Running the tftp command (using either LAN or WAN ports) gives me "Connect request failed".

However, if I boot cycle the router, the LAN port/s light up when booting up, then the light turns off once its up and running.

Message 5 of 6

@Fademan wrote:

On further examination - while I thought I had "reset" the device by holding the reset button for 7 seconds - the default wifi SSID "NETGEAR89" (mentioned on the rear of the device) is not being discovered - so I think it hasn't actually reset itself (possibly its only restarting), and its possible that I borked up something in the past in the configuration.

Not being discovered and not being broadcast are two different things. The router "broadcasts" wifi while the wifi client "discovers". If one client can't see the SSID, then I'd check with another client to rule out that the problem is at the receiving end.

@Fademan wrote:

The Modem I attempted to connect to - is the standard NBN modem in Australia that I use for my house into my existing network (which works fine).

There is no such thing as a "standard NBN modem". NBN just means "Australian Internet". There are several different technologies that deliver NBN.

This page lists the most common delivery options.

What is an NBN network and is my NETGEAR DSL modem router compatible? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Do yourself, and those trying to help you, a favour and tell us what the make and model of that modem.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7