Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 Router not showing wired device

Bruiser972
Aspirant

R7000 Router not showing wired device

Hi - I've recently plugged in a Synology NAS device into the back of my R7000 wifi router as the NAS doesn't have wifi. On a previous network, I could see the NAS and interact with it, but on the R7000 no wired devices are showing and the Synology Assistant cannot find the NAS.

I need the IP address to log in. Any help/ suggestions?

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: R7000 Router not showing wired device

Be sure the networking on the NAS is set for auto obtain IP addressing. Check with the mfr of this NAS box for help and support regarding this. Possible a reset on the NAS maybe needed. Check first.  

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the router and NAS box. 

Power OFF the NAX and router for 30 seconds then back ON with the router then NAS. NAS should appear getting an IP address on the routers web page. 

@Bruiser972 wrote:

Hi

I'm looking directly in the router firmware (via 192.168.1.1) and also on the Nighthawk app.

Firmware version V1.0.7.6_1.1.99

Modem is a Netgear CM1000. It only has one LAN port which is used to connect the wifi router. I have plugged the NAS into the WiFI router as it has a bank on LAN ports.

I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 10

All Replies

@Bruiser972 wrote:

On a previous network, I could see the NAS and interact with it, but on the R7000 no wired devices are showing and the Synology Assistant cannot find the NAS.

Where are you looking and what with?

Windows is very good at hiding network devices.

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router, if there is one. The make and model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router. That can complicate troubleshooting.

For better advice on your router, try here:

Nighthawk Wi-Fi 5 (AC) Routers - NETGEAR Communities

Message 2 of 10
Bruiser972
Aspirant

Hi

I'm looking directly in the router firmware (via 192.168.1.1) and also on the Nighthawk app.

Modem is a Netgear CM1000. It only has one LAN port which is used to connect the wifi router. I have plugged the NAS into the WiFI router as it has a bank on LAN ports.

I hope this helps.

Message 3 of 10

@Bruiser972 wrote:

Looking where? Attached devices?

What about Windows networks?

This is a good alternative for Windows and Macs:

genie | Product | Support | NETGEAR

Be warned that the genie installation file is wrapped up in a RAR archive that you have to decompress and install.

Netgear is trying to kill this useful utility.

Message 4 of 10

@Bruiser972 wrote:

Seriously ancient. There have been a couple of dozen since then.

R7000 Firmware Version 1.0.11.136 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure the networking on the NAS is set for auto obtain IP addressing. Check with the mfr of this NAS box for help and support regarding this. Possible a reset on the NAS maybe needed. Check first.  

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the router and NAS box. 

Power OFF the NAX and router for 30 seconds then back ON with the router then NAS. NAS should appear getting an IP address on the routers web page. 

@Bruiser972 wrote:

Hi

I hope this helps.

Message 6 of 10
Bruiser972
Aspirant

Thanks - now updated to V1.0.11.136_10.2.120 which is the latest I could find.

Message 7 of 10
Bruiser972
Aspirant

I've now got this utility, but still not showing any wired devices - all are wifi.

I'll try the reboot options suggested by others

Message 8 of 10
Bruiser972
Aspirant

The rebooting worked!

Thank you!! 🙂

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7