Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 Slow Internet over WiFi

corygehr
Aspirant

R7000 Slow Internet over WiFi

I seem to be having internet speed issues with my R7000. When I watch Netflix on my Xbox One, I notice dropped frames a few times every minute. Sometimes, DNS lookups also fail the first time and I need to either resubmit the request or reboot the router. This only happens over WiFi, as all of my devices connected via Ethernet do not have these problems. Has anyone encountered this? Are there ways I can correct it?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
VE6CGX
Master

Re: R7000 Slow Internet over WiFi

Hi,

On 2.4MHz band, channel 1,6,11 are non-overlapping. I always tried to use one of these channels. On 5GHz

I always used hi channels like 149/153, on R7000 this hi channels give better signal level. Don't use

auto channel selection. Usually if signal level is better than 60dbm WiFi is stable. Playing with antenna

and position of router can improve signal levels. Set antenna sticks like this   \  |  /, broad side should point to

general direction of devices.(router front and back) That's what I did when I had R7000.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
WinnerPlus
Tutor

Which firmware version is your R7000 running on?

Message 2 of 8
corygehr
Aspirant

V1.0.4.30_1.1.67, which appears to be the latest.

Message 3 of 8
WinnerPlus
Tutor

I'm just curious, what is your network topology?

Message 4 of 8
VE6CGX
Master

For steady WiFi performance,  two factors to consider, 1. Decent signal level at device end.

2. Channel selection of minimun interference. To survey your WiFi environment, do you use

utility such as Acrylic or inSSIDer(V4 is needed to check 5GHz ban)?

Message 5 of 8
corygehr
Aspirant

I can confirm over a Site Survey that I'm the only device using channel 8 over the 2.4GHz band - not sure about 5GHz as my phone and Xbox are the only devices that can use that. Still, it's on Auto which could be part of the issue? The devices are less than 20 feet apart with a plaster wall in the way, so signal is 100%.

Network topology is simple - I have a fiber connection that terminates in my wall (it's an apartment complex) and from the patch panel there's a run to a jack in my den that connects to the R7000. After that, nothing else is really in the way. At peak I'll have a client bridge via DD-WRT (using the 2.4GHz network), a desktop attached to that, my laptop (hard-wired into the router), my Surface Pro, my Xbox One (5GHz), and my Windows Phone. However, the Surface is usually on standby and I've been having issues with the client bridge so the majority of the time it's just my phone, laptop, and Xbox that are actually pulling through the pipe. It's a 100Mbps line to the internet.

Message 6 of 8
VE6CGX
Master

Hi,

On 2.4MHz band, channel 1,6,11 are non-overlapping. I always tried to use one of these channels. On 5GHz

I always used hi channels like 149/153, on R7000 this hi channels give better signal level. Don't use

auto channel selection. Usually if signal level is better than 60dbm WiFi is stable. Playing with antenna

and position of router can improve signal levels. Set antenna sticks like this   \  |  /, broad side should point to

general direction of devices.(router front and back) That's what I did when I had R7000.

Message 7 of 8
corygehr
Aspirant

Interesting... I never looked that deep into Wireless Networking before. I'll try changing up my wireless channel tonight and see if that helps. Thanks for this!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series