Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 Support & Info EPIC Article

Dustin_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

R7000 Support, Info & Firmware #EPIC Article

R7000_GRAY_Hero_Transparent.png

Visit this #Epic article for the latest support, product info and firmware support for the  AC1900 WiFi Router (R7000). R7000 is an 802.11ac (WiFi 5) dual band router, supporting AC1900 (600+1300) Mbps speeds. Built for gaming, streaming, and mobility, the R7000 can handle your high-bandwidth online activities at top speeds while providing exceptional performance and coverage. The R7000’s main features include NETGEAR Armor cyber threat protection, Smart Parental Controls, Dynamic QoS, Beamforming, Smart Connect and more

R7000 Support

For common R7000 Support topics, such as Password resetting, R7000 Login, R7000 Firmware, visit our R7000 Support page.

How Can I Buy the R7000?

The Nighthawk R7000 is available directly through the NETGEAR online store, which offers Free 2-Day Shipping, 100% Satisfaction Guarantee, and Simple, Secure Checkout. 

Buy the R7000 Router

Join the Discussion on R7000

To start a discussion or to view popular discussions on the R7000, you can visit the Nighthawk WiFi Routers board on the NETGEAR Community Forums. 

Alternative to the R7000

The Nighthawk AX4 WiFi 6 router is a great upgrade from the R7000. The AX4 uses the latest and greatest WiFi standard, WiFi 6, giving you optimal WiFi performance, more connected capacity, and faster speeds.

Learn more about the Nighthawk AX4 WiFi 6 Router

See more AC1900 WiFi Router (R7000) discussion or tag your posts with #R7000

Message 1 of 35
bkds
Tutor

This router is complete garbage. I "upgraded" from an N600 which quit working to the R7000. Issues right out of the box with 5ghz wifi. Tried reseting, downloading different firmwares from netgear, and even went to third party firmware. I just recycled your POS product that lacked reliability after dealing with its BS for over a year at the same bestbuy I bought it from and walked out with an Asus. For anyone looking to jump on the discounts for this model do yourself a favor and pass. Spend a little more or less with someone else.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 2 of 35
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @bkds

Thanks for your feedback. We're sorry to hear you had experienced some issues with your R7000. Please feel free to reach out if we can be of any assistance in the future. 

Respectfully,

Christian 

Message 3 of 35
MaiMariarti
Initiate

Horrible firmware.
So many bugs. So unreliable! So expensive for a piece of junk.
Upgraded the firmware up and down. Every version is worse then before.
If you enjoy pulling your hair out, or have your wifi keep dropping on you, then buy this router.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 4 of 35
MaiMariarti
Initiate

Got so fed up with the mickey mouse firmware, that I flashed it with AdvancedTomato.
OMG what a difference! It's rock solid no matter what we do to it, we couldn't crash it or make the router unresponsive.
Do what I did and chcuk the Netgear firmware. Or keep it and suffer.
Shame on you NetGear for such an awefull firmware.

Message 5 of 35
jmac44
Initiate

I have been having issues with using my older router WNDR3700v3 with Nighthawk R7000. is there some compatability list for the nighthawk app and connections between other Netgear products, For the Nighthawk router? I am running Win 10 have google nest camera and a/c honeywell the camera is connected to the wndr3700 and constantly losses connection and i need to reboot both nighthawk and older router to complete connection again.all firmware on both devices has been updated.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router, WNDR3700v3|N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 6 of 35
antinode
Guru

> I have been having issues with using my older router WNDR3700v3 with
> Nighthawk R7000. [...]

First, start your own thread for your own problem, instead of
diverting this existing sales-promotion/user-rant thread from its
original "purpose".

When you do that, it might help if you explained why you're trying to
use two routers, and how, exactly, you've connected your stuff.  (Hint:
If a device has different types of Ethernet ports, then "connected to
device" is not enough detail.)

Message 7 of 35
CatintheHat
Tutor

Chiming in to bring awareness to the .88 firware update and the .100 firmware breaking 5Ghz. Thought my R6900 finally gave up and then bought a R7000 only to find out the issue is your firmware. Unacceptable guys. Been a solid router but, the response and slow timing of fixing things has me wanting to move on to a different product. Could have saved my self $150 dollars. For context, I bought the R7000 from Walmart just a couple of months ago.

Yes, I have gone through all the steps of factory resetting and all that jazz. Just reverted back to .42 and it I'm good on drops and speed again. Sad that I am potentially exposed security wise.

Message 8 of 35
crazygunnar
Initiate

I "upgraded" from my old to this router and got a bit of problems I was not expecting.

The internet connection started dropping now and then and a restart would fix that, so scanned thru the articles here and otherplaces. Didnt find anything that fixed it, very generic answers and I don't have any special configurations. No internet login, nothing configured except the wifi password and external dns.

However I upgraded to firmware V1.0.11.100_10.2.100 (since that was the most recent firmware), and that seem to have fixed the internet dropping problem. Success I though!

Now recently I did have some problems with VOIP calls via mobile and app, they won't connect when using wifi, so according to helpful articles I decided to turn on QoS, that was disabled. Seems logical. And it works right now, it is an app so I have not done any long term testing, neither do I know where the problem persisited, this all could be irrelevant. 

However now the internet started dropping again. 

My old R6300 had none of these problems during the last what 5 years or so. Don't really know why I "upgraded". 

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 9 of 35
tmackay
Initiate

So, I am curious NetGear; I see what appears to be a few responses in this thread that look like Netgear responses. Problem is, each of those responses are written as if by a defensive child. Why not actually respond to the problem? Either admit or deny it and provide a foundation for your answer. I think it is pretty obvious there is a problem based on searching the internet about the issues presented so commonly and here in your own community forum. It is YOUR logo I see at the top of this page, yes? Maybe it is just hundreds (or thousands) of us misconfiguring our routers in the same newbie way. Buit, even if that was true, then you should be able to offer an eductional/support document specificially addressing how to best mitigate what so many are reporting. I keep reading about firmware but that sounds like a rollacoaster ride at best. I tried several "updates" before giving up and using my cable providers default (garbage, but stable) product at $15/month - thanks for that by the way. Is this a programming issue or it it hardware that is root cause? Lets start there...

NETGEAR - PLEASE ACT LIKE A REPUTABLE COMPANY AND NOT A BUNCH OF FOOLS SELLING ELIXER OFF THE BACK OF THIER WAGON. THERE IS CLEARLY A PROBLEM HERE. IF YOU REALLY WERE INTERESTED IN CUSTOMER SUPPORT (AND RELATIONSHIP BUILDING) YOU WOULD PUT THE PROPER RESOURCES INTO RESOLVING THIS VS. JUST PUMPING PRODUCT DOWN THE CHANNEL WITH A "DON'T GIVE A **bleep** ATTITUDE". THAT IS WHAT I SEE AND READ ABOUT YOUR COMPANY ALL THE TIME. HOW ABOUT SOMETHING NEW AND YOU ACTUALLY TRY AND FIX IT VS. HIDING IN THE SHADOWS!!!

Message 10 of 35
RicanPradaG
Initiate

I  can't agree with you more! This router is straight Sh**. My wifi goes out all the time. Ive reset/rebooted/wiped/erase all forms of technical support. It is sad to say my $10 a month router from Spectrum ran so much better than this device and I spend 150. Lately its been giving me more issues. the 5GHZ drops all the time. My gaming PC not getting internet intermittently, even though its on ethernet.

Message 11 of 35
davemays
Guide

I still have mine hooked up to a simple digital timer that turns the power off and back on every week. It's the only way I could make this device "reliable" enough.

Why Netgear won't put in a scheduled reboot feature is beyond me. The device clearly needs one.

Message 12 of 35
AbuelitaLinda
Initiate

So, it doesn't look like Netgear ever responds! Yikes! I've only had the router installed for the last month, and still can't get my smart tvs to recognize it for mor than a few minutes, and only then after multiple tries. The sales rep at Best Buy highly recommended it:(

@tmackay wrote:

So, I am curious NetGear; I see what appears to be a few responses in this thread that look like Netgear responses. Problem is, each of those responses are written as if by a defensive child. Why not actually respond to the problem? Either admit or deny it and provide a foundation for your answer. I think it is pretty obvious there is a problem based on searching the internet about the issues presented so commonly and here in your own community forum. It is YOUR logo I see at the top of this page, yes? Maybe it is just hundreds (or thousands) of us misconfiguring our routers in the same newbie way. Buit, even if that was true, then you should be able to offer an eductional/support document specificially addressing how to best mitigate what so many are reporting. I keep reading about firmware but that sounds like a rollacoaster ride at best. I tried several "updates" before giving up and using my cable providers default (garbage, but stable) product at $15/month - thanks for that by the way. Is this a programming issue or it it hardware that is root cause? Lets start there...

NETGEAR - PLEASE ACT LIKE A REPUTABLE COMPANY AND NOT A BUNCH OF FOOLS SELLING ELIXER OFF THE BACK OF THIER WAGON. THERE IS CLEARLY A PROBLEM HERE. IF YOU REALLY WERE INTERESTED IN CUSTOMER SUPPORT (AND RELATIONSHIP BUILDING) YOU WOULD PUT THE PROPER RESOURCES INTO RESOLVING THIS VS. JUST PUMPING PRODUCT DOWN THE CHANNEL WITH A "DON'T GIVE A **bleep** ATTITUDE". THAT IS WHAT I SEE AND READ ABOUT YOUR COMPANY ALL THE TIME. HOW ABOUT SOMETHING NEW AND YOU ACTUALLY TRY AND FIX IT VS. HIDING IN THE SHADOWS!!!

Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 13 of 35
Francisc0
Initiate

My R7000 unexpectedly performed a factory reset on its own. The logs now show unending failed WLAN login attempts. Could I have been hacked?
Message 14 of 35
labatt
Mentor

It really is a shame how Netgear has managed to take a good running router and turn it into a pile of sh... I bought one when they first came out and after the usual couple of firmware updates it ran like expected. Never a reboot unless a firmware update. A r8000 and r8000p showed me how far they have fallen. In my case I decided to go toward commercial and everything just works. Never a reboot required unless firmware update and have coverage I only dreamed about before. 

Message 15 of 35
davemays
Guide

My device is still on an external timer set up to turn it off every night at 3am, since:

Netgear can't be bothered to use the watchdog timer that's built into the SOC in this device.
AND
Netgear can't be bothered to include a (relatively standard) scheduled reboot feature.

I'm so glad I bought this used, so I know never to buy a Netgear router again.

Message 16 of 35
Wagneld
Aspirant

This router is worthless gets disconected several times a day, it's frustrating trying to figure out into the router's setup how to stop having this issue. I decided to change netgear for an ASUS router and I haven't had any issue.
Message 17 of 35
labatt
Mentor

Went a different route from you, but with the same no problems after the move. I went to more commercial side. Glad I did as you are. 

Message 18 of 35
NicoPerez13
Aspirant

Hi whenever I try to activate Netgear armor on my nighthawk it says there an error in activating it.
Message 19 of 35
jmac44
Initiate

Let me tell you first about attitude, whoever you are. Sorry I did not get the right forum tolic/etc..,etc! If this is netgears tech help you should learn how to effectively communicate a little better than belittling people and how they use forums. So far this community has had n I thing to say except smart ass remarks that really make people not want to come back and are very unprofessional about being part of such a large company.
Message 20 of 35
sktn77a
Virtuoso

Well, I haven't had any problems with multiple R7000s (within their operating parameters).  That said, I've never updated the firmware above v1.0.9.42_10.2.44.  Now, Netgear "technical Support"  (or any support from this company) is pretty non existant, so if you do have a problem, you're on your own.

Message 21 of 35
Potsiemj
Aspirant

Another vote here for falling back to the V1.0.9.42_10.2.44 firmware, that's the only way I could get the R7000 and the EX7700 to play nice.  On the latest version for the R7000 the EX7700 constantly disconnects from the Internet.

Please NETGEAR get your own two products to work together.

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender, R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 22 of 35
Maestro64
Aspirant

Like many others I have come to hate my Netgear equipment. I have been using Netgear equipment coming on 20 yrs now, and the issue with the routers droping connection, failing to transfer internet traffic and various other issues I have been forced to tell friends to buy TP-Link routers and when they ask why I recomment the TP-Link over Netgear especially when I have used Netgear equipment I just tell them they do not want to deal with the problems I have been encountering. I know Netgear is definitely loose customer. I would not recommed ASUS, since some of their routers are phoning home and sharing your data with third parties especially the ones that have the VPN feature.

Whatever the problem Netgear is having it is not isolated to the Nighthawk/R7000 models. I first started experiencing all the issues people been saying about the Nighthawk on my WNR3500. It was solid router, used it for many years, had over 30 devices on my network both hardwired and wireless. At some point after one of those suggested securtiy updates my WNR3500 started experience issue where no traffic to or from the internet. Only solution was a reboot, I tried factory resets, turning things off like QoS. Nothing seem to fix the problem. The problem was intermitten and some time it would be weeks until it happen again and other times it would be days or hours. I started to think it could be a specific website i was accessing causing the lock up, or too much traffic at one time. At one point I thought the router was being hacked, I notice that the router was being ping and someone was attempting a FTP connection.

Even though no device whether wireless or hardwired could reach the a website, my IP phones in the house, I had two difference services, personal and work those both kept working. I thought this was strange, no HTTP traffic but VoIP work fine. Then I also notice if I had streaming service going like Music or Netflix on Apple TV, those too would continue working. Even though I could not even connect and log into the router using its IP address from my computer. Since the WNR3500 was old there was very little help and Netgear was not help unless you want to pay them. I thought about going to an open source but I like using the Netgear Genie to manage the router.

Well the problem got so bad earlier this year I decide it must be a hardware issue and replaced the WNR3500 with a Nighthawk R7000. 

Well everything was good for a month or so and the same problems showed up, devices dropped internect connects or could not connect to the WiFi. But I also notice the same thing was happening with the R7000 as was happening on WNR3500, certain connections kept working while HTTP type connections were locked up.

I know some people think it is a hardware issue, however, since I had two different models using two different chips, with similar if not the same issues, I beleive this is purely a firmware issue. Also reading the fact that one version of the R7000 firmware seems to work and it was release after this that started most of the issues and looking at the dates of those releases, they seem to be around the same time the firmware update on the WNR3500 starting having the issues. This leads me to believe whatever updates they were doing to fix security issue, broke the software. The only updates on the WNR3500 were for sercuity holes they were not adding any features at that time. I believe whatever they are doing to fix the security issue in the firmware release in the last couple of years is causing these issues.

Just my two cents, and my personal observation.

Message 23 of 35
robson13
Aspirant

Just bought the router 2 days ago for its security features with circles. Today it went down twice with orange light on. Upgraded to newest firmware today. If this thing goes down again it will be returned to Best Buy ASAP.

RCN Ubee router or my old Spectrum Ubee router is way more reliable. 

Message 24 of 35
ac7040
Aspirant

Poor Firmware. Replacing my 15 month-old router with another brand.

My R7000 router is just 15 months in use and currently fails to recognize the 5Ghz network that it is suppose to support.  After spending a considerable time with Netgear support, I was told that it is not a hardware failure, but a software failure, and the way to deal with this is senior tech support.  As I am beyond the puny 90-day support, the only choice is a ONE YEAR support for $139 or TWO YEARS at over $200, and then a claim that their support would be better than AppleCare for my Macs. HA!  You have a lot to learn from Apple, Netgear.  After I balked, I was told that the agent could send a link directing me to the firmware update.  (I have yet to receive it.)  Why this wasn't offered in the first place is clear to me:  support is a revenue generator.  I really did not appreciate 1) not receiving an alert about an available update, even though I am a registered user, and 2) the deceptiveness of the support offer for something that I could likely do myself, was caused by the company's update, and their subsequent failure to notify me.

If I can find an answer here, it will be a temporary fix.  I will avoid this brand, no longer recommend it, and replace my router and modem.  I do not like feeling like I am being conned.

Message 25 of 35
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7