Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 VPN

desert
Tutor

R7000 VPN

I have been searching for for a few weeks. I am frustrated so hopefully someone can answer this for me once and for all.

If I am running a VPN (OpenVpn) with the R7000 - what kind of speeds should I be getting? Does 25Mbps down max sound normal?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: R7000 VPN

Message 16 of 17

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

I didn't find any consistent numbers doing a Google search, but smallnetbuilder.com measured about 43 Mbps using a Windows file transfer (link).  I kinda expected higher numbers but OpenVPN is a CPU intensive activity.  If you have QoS enabled, try disabling it.  QoS is another CPU intensive feature.

Message 2 of 17
desert
Tutor

Thank you for your response.

I already disabled QoS. I am just trying to get a baseline of what it should be or how to improve VPN performance.

Message 3 of 17
TheEther
Guru

You could always try 3rd party firmware, like DD-WRT, Asuswrt-Merlin, or any of the Tomato releases.  They should all support OpenVPN server mode and, maybe, are faster than stock.

Message 4 of 17
desert
Tutor

I am running DD-WRT (Kong) already. I am at a loss what to do at this point.

Message 5 of 17
TheEther
Guru

What are the CPU load averages when the OpenVPN session is up and saturated with traffic?  You can see the load averages at the top right corner.

Message 6 of 17
desert
Tutor

I am downloading three 2GB test files at the same time. This is what I get.

load average: 0.61, 0.47, 0.29

edit: I have seen it hit 1.00 then drop right back down to 0.71. The first number always stays around 0.61-0.71
Message 7 of 17
TheEther
Guru

How long did you wait before checking the load?  The first load number is averaged over 1 minute, so you'll have to wait at least 1 minute to get the true measurement.

Message 8 of 17
desert
Tutor

I did it again - used an online timer. This is after five minutes. 

19:43:50 up 3:11, load average: 0.73, 0.70, 0.59

Message 9 of 17
TheEther
Guru

Well, you're not CPU-bound.  Could it be the client?

Message 10 of 17
desert
Tutor

You're speaking of the VPN company? (PIA)

I have tried on two different computers - ethernet.

Message 11 of 17
TheEther
Guru

Have you tried a speed test to their network?  Check out their Knowledge Base article (link).

Message 12 of 17
desert
Tutor

Yes, I talked with support last month. We went back and forth about twenty emails including the MTU tests and pings. I tested to all servers then and a few right now. It's the same results. I get about 100Mpbs down without the VPN to the closest server to me they have. Then with the VPN I get about 20-25.

They blame this on throttling by TWC. I talked to about ten people at TWC. I have spoken to several Tier-3 people who said they are not throttling anything. Everyone is pointing fingers on this. It's frustrating.

Message 13 of 17
TheEther
Guru

Try running OpenVPN on a home computer and see if it's any faster. This will help determine if the OpenVPN attack on the router is the bottleneck.
Message 14 of 17
desert
Tutor

The windows client performs (without the router) at the same the router does. I guess that would eliminate the router.

Message 15 of 17
TheEther
Guru

Yup.

Message 16 of 17
desert
Tutor

Thank you for your time and blessings to you 🙂

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors