Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 WAN connectivity issues

Hoyty
Apprentice

R7000 WAN connectivity issues

In the last week or two I have suddenly had WAN connectivity issues. The LAN / Wi-Fi works fine and I can connect to router but not past it. I usually reboot both cable modem (Comcast Ubee 3.0) and the R7000 and it works again for 24 hours or so. Tonight I tried using the Test feature in Basic -> Internet. It would allow traffic to pass for 30-60 seconds. Then I rebooted the R7000 using web interface and got no traffic through. Lastly I reboot the R7000 using power switch. Still didn't work. Then I reset cable modem and it worked. Other times though just rebooting R7000 works. I am trying to figure out which component is issue and replace possibly. Any ideas welcome. I recently upgraded the firmware on R7000 to latest but problems didn't start immediately but soon.

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: R7000 WAN connectivity issues

I’m not sure if the R7000 WAN / Internet status shown in the web interface shows the WAN side DHCP lease time, but if it does that might give some clues as to what is happening. I suspect that maybe DHCP renewal could be failing.

You could try accessing the modem’s web interface but I’m not entirely sure if the R7000 and/or your PC will be able to do this with the R7000 in place;

http://www.ubeeinteractive.com/support/consumers/faq/how-do-i-log-modem%E2%80%99s-web-user-interface

Otherwise connect a PC to the modem, and power cycle the modem. At a Command Prompt type ipconfig /all and look at the DHCP lease time.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I’m not sure if the R7000 WAN / Internet status shown in the web interface shows the WAN side DHCP lease time, but if it does that might give some clues as to what is happening. I suspect that maybe DHCP renewal could be failing.

You could try accessing the modem’s web interface but I’m not entirely sure if the R7000 and/or your PC will be able to do this with the R7000 in place;

http://www.ubeeinteractive.com/support/consumers/faq/how-do-i-log-modem%E2%80%99s-web-user-interface

Otherwise connect a PC to the modem, and power cycle the modem. At a Command Prompt type ipconfig /all and look at the DHCP lease time.

Message 2 of 9
Hoyty
Apprentice

Well just as suddenly as it started it stopped? My guess is flakiness on Comcast end. Thanks.

Message 3 of 9
seanvree
Tutor

I've actually been having the same issue with my R7000.  It drops the internet connection about once every other day.  If I reboot the router, it will not pick up the internet connection....I have to power cycle the modem (Motorola Surfboard), and only then reboot the router will it start working.  

I also thought it was a lease issue, but it's not. After I reboot the cable modem...I still have the same external IP.

It's very random and intermitten, so it's difficult to troubleshoot.  

Very frustrating.  

Message 4 of 9
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

DHCP leasing does not necessarily result in a different IP address, you can have the same IP renewed.

Message 5 of 9
seanvree
Tutor

So what's the process for testing if this is the issue?

Message 6 of 9
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I’m not sure if the R7000 displays the WAN IP lease time anywhere, but if you connect a computer directly to the modem, check you have internet access, then go to a Command Prompt and type ipconfig /all you will see the lease time that the modem set for the connected device. If you then reconnect the router it’s fair to assume that it will be allocated an IP with the same lease time. DHCP renewal normally occurs at the half-time point, so for example the router would attempt to renew a lease at 12 hours if the lease time is 24 hours.

Message 7 of 9
Greeneyej
Aspirant

I had the same problem, on the 5GHz wireless, with the .30 FW,  "incorrect password "

Just rolled back to .28 and all is fine again.

Message 8 of 9
coldair
Aspirant

Check your router logs, i have been experecing DoS attacks on my comcast netgear business class modem which cause the sympthoms you are describing 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7