Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 WIFI stopped working

Scast
Tutor

R7000 WIFI stopped working

The WIFI on my Nighthawk R7000  stopped working after owning the device for 20 months. When it worked, it worked great, however spending close to $200 for 20 months of WIFI functionality is hardly a bargin in my opinion. Yes, I tried the WIFI ON/OFF switch, rebooted, powered off and reloaded firmware.  My conclusion is Netgear makes crap. For the record I am currently working as a Unix engineer and prior to that I was a network engineer and have spent my whole career in Infrastructure. Netgear makes crap, great technology, but crap. 20 months? Give me a break. 

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Scast
Tutor

Michael,

The switch is the problem. It is not turning on the WIFI. I just purchased an AC1750 which is a step down but wirecutter is high on it which is good enough for me. I am hoping the marginal difference is undetectable for my needs.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies

Factory reset?

If you descrtibe the symptoms, then maybe one of the resident experts can offer some suggestions.

They have managed to help people in the past. Sometimes it is a simple thing, like trying a different channel to get round interference from the neighbours. Sometimes it has nothing to do with the router and is down to the wifi clients people are using.

Message 2 of 5
Scast
Tutor

Michael,

Thank you for your reply. Yes I failed to mention I also did a factory reset.  The Wireless Settings screen in Advanced Setup tells me the Wireless ON/OFF is set to OFF as indicated in the Wireless enable box for both 2.4 & 5 - (This action is currently disabled until the wireless On/Off button is pressed)

I saw nothing in the support community indicating a solution. I may end up opening the unit since I have nothing to lose at this point. It is a shame because the unit provided sufficient bandwidth over the 5G to stream HD video to a crappy wireless on my Samsung TV and also stream music to my streamer with virually no drop outs. Both these units are located on the 1st floor and are approx sixty feet from the Router on the second floor.

Message 3 of 5

@Scast wrote:

The Wireless Settings screen in Advanced Setup tells me the Wireless ON/OFF is set to OFF as indicated in the Wireless enable box for both 2.4 & 5 - (This action is currently disabled until the wireless On/Off button is pressed)

Remember, on some Netgear devices the physical switch and the "software" switch are independent. You may think you have set the wifi on in the browser interface, but nothing happens until you turn on the physical switch.

I mention this because someone turned up here recently complaining about that.

By the way, I find it easier to feed a smart TV with a hard-wired powerline plug. More reliable than wifi.

Message 4 of 5
Scast
Tutor

Michael,

The switch is the problem. It is not turning on the WIFI. I just purchased an AC1750 which is a step down but wirecutter is high on it which is good enough for me. I am hoping the marginal difference is undetectable for my needs.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7