Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 WiFi speed issues

Ralo14
Tutor

R7000 WiFi speed issues

When connected directly to my modem or directly to the R7000 my download speeds are in the neighborhood of 800 Mbps. When I am on 5G WiF, I never see speeds above 200 Mbps. I have found some older threads talkong about older software versions and I have tried a couple with no luck. Does anyone know of a fix?

Message 1 of 9
Kitsap
Master

Re: R7000 WiFi speed issues

@Ralo14 wrote:

When connected directly to my modem or directly to the R7000 my download speeds are in the neighborhood of 800 Mbps. When I am on 5G WiF, I never see speeds above 200 Mbps. I have found some older threads talkong about older software versions and I have tried a couple with no luck. Does anyone know of a fix?

Throughput capacity for Wi-Fi depends mostly on the hardware capacity of the client device.  There are configuration choices on your R7000 that can adversely impact the throughput capacity.

For reference, you can help yourself by reviewing the document here:  https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html.

Message 2 of 9
Ralo14
Tutor

I may need cliff notes for that.

Message 3 of 9
Ralo14
Tutor

After looking more into the article these are the wireless card specs from one of the devices experiencing the issue

Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200

• Supports 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax, MU-MINO Rx, 2.4GHz-5GHz (160MHz) up to 2.4Gbps
  • Supports Bluetooth® 5.1
  • The Wireless module is pre-install in the M2_WIFI1 (Key-E) slot

I am not sure where it fits into the table shown in the article you linked but I know this device will achieve download speeds faster than 200 Mbps. I take it with me to another location and it gets much faster speeds through a WiFi connection there.

Message 4 of 9
plemans
Guru

The wifi card might be capable of that but the r7000 is a pretty old router (2013). 

Its expectations are that 200-400mbps max. And 5ghz speeds drop off quickly with distance. 

So make sure if you're testing speeds, to test close to the router. and try changing 5ghz channels. There could be interference. 

Also, if you had parental controls, traffic monitoring, qos, or access control enabled, try disabling them. 

If that doesn't help, try a factory reset and reinstall with leaving those disabled. those cause traffic monitoring and will slow your speeds 

Message 5 of 9
Kitsap
Master

@Ralo14 wrote:

After looking more into the article these are the wireless card specs from one of the devices experiencing the issue

Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200

• Supports 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax, MU-MINO Rx, 2.4GHz-5GHz (160MHz) up to 2.4Gbps
  • Supports Bluetooth® 5.1
  • The Wireless module is pre-install in the M2_WIFI1 (Key-E) slot

I am not sure where it fits into the table shown in the article you linked but I know this device will achieve download speeds faster than 200 Mbps. I take it with me to another location and it gets much faster speeds through a WiFi connection there.

Your R7000 is more than ten years behind the technology curve of your Intel wireless card.  On a good day, the R7000 will provide real world throughput on the 2.4 GHz band of 125 Gbps and on the 5 GHz band of 300 Gbps.  If you are trying to match up with your new Intel wireless card, a new Wi-Fi router is necessary.

Message 6 of 9
Ralo14
Tutor

That is kind of what I was intitally thinking but I have read people online claiming to get much faster speeds out of the 7000 than I am.

Message 7 of 9
Ralo14
Tutor

If it is time to move on to a newer router. What features/specs should I be looking for?

Message 8 of 9
Kitsap
Master

@Ralo14 wrote:

If it is time to move on to a newer router. What features/specs should I be looking for?

For a foundation, you want to look at the Wi-Fi specifications of your Intel card.  After that, just lots of questions.  A few devices, a lot of devices, big place, small place, multiple floors, single point Wi-Fi, a mesh system???  A home, apartment, loft, type of construction???

For mesh systems, start here:  https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/mesh/find-my-orbi/

or here:  https://www.netgear.com/home/wifi/routers/.

Use the filters on the left hand side to narrow the scope.

Don't let your mind or your pocket book become a victim of the hype.  That is what the Duckware paper is for.  The most current technology is AXE.  If you are on a budget, there are good prices on refurbished items on Amazon.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7