Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 Wireless turning off then on at the wrong times

bugs_galore
Guide

R7000 Wireless turning off then on at the wrong times

Having a problem with wirelss schedulling with R7000 using Advanced --> Advanced Setup--> Wireless Settings

I've set up start and end times, and have checked the "Turn off wireless signal by schedule" box.

Although the box does turn off then on at the correct times, with corresponding correct log entires, we're also seeing the wireless signal turn OFF then ON at many other times during the day, and this is shown in the log, although the OFF time is marked with an incorrect time whereas the ON time is marked with the correct time.  Note these incorrect OFF then ON events and log entries do not match the OFF/ON schedule showing in the wirelss settings gui.

This R7000 is running V1.0.11.126_10.2.112  firmware.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 12
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@bugs_galore  I'm genuinely interested, is there some reason you want wireless scheduling? Personally, I just leave mine on all the time.

Message 2 of 12
bugs_galore
Guide

Portwey84 - I want to turn it off at night after midnight so the kids don't stay up for hours on the internet.

The feature is working at the intended time, but the side effects are that it's doing it randomly at many other times during the day.

Message 3 of 12
bugs_galore
Guide

I have an update on this.  Was looking through all the logs (Administration --> Logs), and I see that every single time the wifi incorrectly turned OFF then ON, there was an NTP synch in between the incorrect OFF and the ON (putting it right) a minute later.

And all the incorrect OFFs are tagged with the exact same incorrect time stamp: 3:29:39.  Which just happens to be during my gui-entered off time.

My theory is the time in this R7000 can momentarily become incorrectly set to 3:29:29 during NTP sync.

Note this deos not happen on every NTP sync.

This looks like a bug in the R7000 to me.  Would be great if Netgear can comment if this is a known bug or if any fix will come.

Message 4 of 12
bugs_galore
Guide

Is there a way to get a response from Netgear for issues like this?  This one is a bug.  It would be nice to have a fix for it.

Message 5 of 12
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@bugs_galore  I'm afraid, unless you're still on 90 day complimentary support, the only way you'll get Netgear to do anything for you, is to buy their technical support at I suspect some cost.

I can't comment further as I have had no need to do what you're trying to achieve, so I haven't even tried to replicate it.

Netgear have just released the latest v.128, so you could try flashing the firmware to see if your problem persists, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Message 6 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

@bugs_galore wrote:

Having a problem with wirelss schedulling with R7000 using Advanced --> Advanced Setup--> Wireless Settings

I've set up start and end times, and have checked the "Turn off wireless signal by schedule" box.

Although the box does turn off then on at the correct times, with corresponding correct log entires, we're also seeing the wireless signal turn OFF then ON at many other times during the day, and this is shown in the log, although the OFF time is marked with an incorrect time whereas the ON time is marked with the correct time.  Note these incorrect OFF then ON events and log entries do not match the OFF/ON schedule showing in the wirelss settings gui.

This R7000 is running V1.0.11.126_10.2.112  firmware.

Message 7 of 12
bugs_galore
Guide

Ha Portwey_80 - you sound almost as cynical as I am.  I once used their phone technical support, and it was an unfortunate combination of painful, time consuming, frustrating and useless.  So I wouldn't pay to extend it.

I will look for that new FW you mentioned and try to download it.  Thanks.

Message 8 of 12
bugs_galore
Guide

Hi @FURRYe38 ,  I'm not sure if I ever updated the FW in this R700, although it does seem to be running what was the latest FW when I started this thread.  It would be very unfortunate if a factory reset were required after a FW update, rather than just a power cycle, but a quick google does show it's recommended.  Seems pretty drastic.

I would have to learn how to save the config before doing a factory reset.

Do you by any chance know if there's a way to check if a FW update was ever done?

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Well you reported in your first post:

"This R7000 is running V1.0.11.126_10.2.112 firmware" 

Which is one version behind: v1.0.11.128

A reset is sometimes a valid step to help figure out issues and can lead to solved problems. Sometimes configurations can be hosed up after a FW update or configurations on prior versions are not fully compatible with new versions of FW. Maybe drastic but sometimes a necessary evil. 

Message 10 of 12
bugs_galore
Guide

Looks like v1.0.11.128 was released yesterday.  Portwey84 mentioned it just got released.  I just checked the notes for the new release - looks like only a security fix.

But googling v1.0.11.126_10.2.112 shows there are other NTP problems in this FW, that were not there in the previous release, so maybe they might have fixed some of those issues without listing it in the notes.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Someting to try. 

I would do a reset as well if you update to 128 and setup from scratch....

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7