Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 can't access admin page anymore and DHCP IP Range changed on its own

gpetroski
Initiate

R7000 can't access admin page anymore and DHCP IP Range changed on its own

I noticed recently that my internal IP range changed from 192.168.1.* to 10.0.1.* on its own. I believe I had the router configured to auto update to new firmware, so I'm guessing it updated itself and changed its settings. When I try to access the admin page nothing loads. I've tried 10.0.1.1 and 192.168.1.1 and nothing comes up. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue recently. I will eventually hard reset to factory settings and set it back up that way, but I'm hoping to exhaust my options before going down that route. Any ideas?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
gpetroski
Initiate

I was able to determine the cause. It tipped me off when you said the IP range changes when there's a second device doing DHCP. I noticed there were new computers on my network when I looked at network file sharing. I use the Netgear Powerline device to get wired connections to my living room. What I believe happened is that my neighboring apartment unit recently set up internet and is also using a powerline device. I noticed my DNS suffix was changing to a different address which is the ISPs instead of my router. I put 2 and 2 together and realized my network was overlapping with his via the powerline. I never set up an encryption key on the powerline so it was still using default settings and connecting to my neighbors powerline. When I added the encryption key, the problem went away and my network returned to normal. Next time I should follow the instructions when setting up new network hardware. Oops

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 12

All Replies
router_help
Aspirant

That's a huge concern that the IP range changed on its own.  A firmware update should not change the IP address range.

My guess is the router is shot and you need a replacement.

Message 2 of 12
netwrks
Master

@gpetroski wrote:

I noticed recently that my internal IP range changed from 192.168.1.* to 10.0.1.* on its own. I believe I had the router configured to auto update to new firmware, so I'm guessing it updated itself and changed its settings. When I try to access the admin page nothing loads. I've tried 10.0.1.1 and 192.168.1.1 and nothing comes up. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue recently. I will eventually hard reset to factory settings and set it back up that way, but I'm hoping to exhaust my options before going down that route. Any ideas?

NG routers will switch to a 10.x network when they see the exact same network on the same wire. (elliminates duplicate IP subnet issue) Sounds like you have DHCP running on something else, lilke another router, or your ISP provided router modem combo in the 192,168.1.x subnet.

Message 3 of 12
VE6CGX
Master

Show us your network layout. You only have one modem, one router or anything else? Hard to believe what happened to your R7000.

Message 4 of 12
IrvSp
Master

What does IPCONFIG /ALL show from a connected Windows PC in a COMMAND prompt?

Usually it would rotate through specific internal LAN IP Addresses IF it found when turning on other Private IP xxx.xxx.xxx.1 is active on the LAN it is attached too, namely your modem? However the ISP would need to do that change.

Did you try 10.0.0.1 or 192.168.0.1?

The other possibility is you have set a device on your LAN to have 192.168.1.1 as its IP Address (printer for instance). Of course you couldn't connect that device if you did, but once the router updated and rebooted it would see that and switch. So check all devices and make sure it isn't trying to use that address.

Message 5 of 12
VE6CGX
Master

How a gateway address can be assigned to a device? DHCP is not that dumb!

Message 6 of 12
IrvSp
Master

All you need do is set it to be that. Printer's can be easily, and can almost and network card. Nothing stops you from setting the router to a different IP Address within the private network too as the gateway. Go to ADVANCED --> SETUP --> WAN SETTINGS and you can change the DEFAULT of 192.168.1.1. Useful when more than 1 router is in a network. Easy to mess up and have a collision with other devices.

Message 7 of 12
VE6CGX
Master

Useful ip address starts from 192.168.1.2  is it not? You mean you can clobber the gateway address at will or by accident? Mever saw it

happening.

Message 8 of 12
IrvSp
Master

Yes, when the default is used. Everything can be changed. I used to limit the wireless/wired addresses to starting at 192.168.1.100 to .254 and used under .100 for devices I wanted to have FIXED IP Addresses so there was never a chance of a collision with ones getting DHCP IP Addresses.

Message 9 of 12
VE6CGX
Master

Same here, just by looking at ip address I know what device it is. Most devices are on 7/24.

Message 10 of 12
IrvSp
Master

Yes, for devices I want to access via DMZ or using the IP Address I want fixed IP Addresses. Also helps me 'understand' the log when entries are made. Otherwise I have to open Genie and look who has IP Addresses. Those tend to change (if not set to fixed) on every router reboot.

I guess it was possible that the OP had a faulty flash too? Don't know though, not much info provided but what was tried? Maybe a full power removal using the power cord being disconnected and let it sit for a few minutes and then powering it back up would fix it. Checking the Modem as well, most can be accessed via 192.168.100.1 and using a default UID and PW or looking for a label on the modem. That might help here too.

Message 11 of 12
gpetroski
Initiate

I was able to determine the cause. It tipped me off when you said the IP range changes when there's a second device doing DHCP. I noticed there were new computers on my network when I looked at network file sharing. I use the Netgear Powerline device to get wired connections to my living room. What I believe happened is that my neighboring apartment unit recently set up internet and is also using a powerline device. I noticed my DNS suffix was changing to a different address which is the ISPs instead of my router. I put 2 and 2 together and realized my network was overlapping with his via the powerline. I never set up an encryption key on the powerline so it was still using default settings and connecting to my neighbors powerline. When I added the encryption key, the problem went away and my network returned to normal. Next time I should follow the instructions when setting up new network hardware. Oops

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7