Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 dropping 5ghz

AdeUK
Follower

R7000 dropping 5ghz

Hi all,

I reported the above fault to Netgear before happening upon the firmware downgrade fix within these forums.

My case has escalated and is being passed to a 'second level technician' - although I'm not sure what this means, I am hoping it raises the issue with netgear and they can resolve.

FYI my router was manufactured March 2021 and the latest firmware caused this issue for me.

I will update you if resolved.
Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 5
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@AdeUK   Well, this believe it or not, is a post I thought I'd never have to make, but it seems the latest firmware version, 1.0.11.128 is indeed, borked on the 5ghz WiFi. I've been monitoring my router for the last 3 days and every time I connected my desktop, it dropped out all of my other devices on 5ghz. It caused a right old ruck with my Missus who's home working!

I've downgraded the firmware to v.126 and everything is back to normal, no issues whatsoever now.

To be honest, I don't get how a firmware upgrade can be implemented whereby the programmers manage to break something that worked perfectly well on the previous version.

Anyway, unless there is now a future significant security issue with v.126, I'm not bothering to upgrade the firmware again.

Message 2 of 5
SigmaOne
Aspirant

You may want to try V1.0.11.130_10.2.118 which just came out in January 2022. 

I also was having problems with the 5GHz dropping on 1.0.11.128.  Eventually I went back to 1.0.9.42 because a lot of people suggested it was very stable.  Well, 1.0.9.42 didn't drop 5GHz, but it would randomly reboot every 24 hours or so.   That's particularly irritating because these r7000's take forever to boot.

Anyways, following the upgrade to 1.0.11.130 my 5GHz has been online, and no random reboots for 48 hours now.  I'm cautiously optimistic.

Message 3 of 5
mauryfrench
Aspirant

Wow. I just got the same router, here in January of 2022, but it comes with 1.0.11.116 and states that is the latest firmware. So what revision should I get?

Message 4 of 5
Portwey84
Virtuoso

@mauryfrench  You've dropped into a thread that is now a couple of months old and the latest firmware version is v.130. You'll find it on the Netgear R7000 support page which is always the first port of call for firmware on this router model. Don't believe your router when it says there is no newer firmware because it's just wrong.

If you drop into the R7000 Community forum page and organise the threads in date order, you'll find all of the latest news and issues folks are experiencing. For me, I'd had enough and I've got rid of my R7000 and replaced it with a up to date tri-band router (not Netgear!). Remember, this router is a decade old conceived and designed router. Tech moves on, unlike the R7000.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7