Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 issue with WAN speeds

slash1981
Tutor

R7000 issue with WAN speeds

Disclaimer: both of my R7000s are more than 2yo so they are not under warranty.

Preambule: I had Comcast 100/20. Switched to WoW 500/50. I have two R7000. RouterA acts as a router (DHCP/ACL and so on); RouterB acts as an AP.

Issue: Once switched to WoW I was not able to get more than 350mbps down when wired into RouterA. When wired into the cable modem directly - I'm getting 500mbps down.

What was done: currently not using RouterA absolutely - WoW rented me a Gateway that acts as DHCP server now. RouterB is still hardwired into this gateway via Gigabit switch.

That being said, my network looks like that now:

• Wired devices: Cable Gateway - > Gigabit switch -> hardwired device
  • WLAN: Cable Gateway -> Gigabit swith -> RouterB (in AP mode) -> WLAN device

I have four devices hardwired into Gigabit switch - all are showing 500mbps down. Once I take one of these devices and hardwire it into RouterB's gigabit LAN port - down speed is capped at 350mpbs. Makes no sense since R7000 in AP mode makes no routing decisions and has QoS and WAN settings disabled by default.

Anyone had this issue before? Is it firmware issue? Bug? Or some setting that had been set before the router was switched to AP mode and it got greyed out?

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 22

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: R7000 issue with WAN speeds

This is a known issue. AP mode disables hardware acceleration between the WAN and LAN ports. The workaround is to connect the R7000 to the network via one of its LAN ports. IOW, leave the WAN port disconnected. Note: You will lose the ability to log into the router's setup pages. Move the cable back to the WAN port for maintenance. Alternatively, disable AP mode and disable the DHCP server. Assign a sensible, unused IP address in the subnet. Then connect via the LAN port.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 22

All Replies
Chins
Aspirant

Seems like you are experiencing a similar issue to what I am seeing on the R9000, in that WAN to LAN routing is causing a reduction in bandwidth. In my situation if I connect directly to the modem then my download speed is roughly 960Mbs, but if I connect via the R9000 then I can only see around 820Mbs.I dont have any answers but you are not alone. I am thinking of trying dd-wrt to see if this is a firmware thing or a hardware thing.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 2 of 22
slash1981
Tutor

@Chins wrote:

Seems like you are experiencing a similar issue to what I am seeing on the R9000, in that WAN to LAN routing is causing a reduction in bandwidth. In my situation if I connect directly to the modem then my download speed is roughly 960Mbs, but if I connect via the R9000 then I can only see around 820Mbs.I dont have any answers but you are not alone. I am thinking of trying dd-wrt to see if this is a firmware thing or a hardware thing.

Amen to that, brother. I'm considering two options at the moment:

1. Resetting my routers to factory defaults (hard reset)

2. Going down the rabbit hole with DD-WRT...

Message 3 of 22
slash1981
Tutor

Solved an issue on my RouterA (which was acting as a router). It seems like disabling "AIRTIME FAIRNESS" feature brought the download speeds on this router to full 500. RouterB, however, (the one that is acting as an access point) is still capped at 400mbps even with this feature disabled. I'm continuing investigation.

Message 4 of 22
TheEther
Guru

This is a known issue. AP mode disables hardware acceleration between the WAN and LAN ports. The workaround is to connect the R7000 to the network via one of its LAN ports. IOW, leave the WAN port disconnected. Note: You will lose the ability to log into the router's setup pages. Move the cable back to the WAN port for maintenance. Alternatively, disable AP mode and disable the DHCP server. Assign a sensible, unused IP address in the subnet. Then connect via the LAN port.
Message 5 of 22
slash1981
Tutor

@TheEther wrote:

Yep. That seems to be the case.. Here's what I found 20 minutes ago online.

With the way netgear routers do their AP mode, you still lose the acceleration. The only way I found to get the benefits of AP mode, and not lose throughput, is to change the router's IP to something else, (e.g., from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.10), then disable the DHCP server on the router, and then do a LAN to LAN connection. 

This allows the WiFi radio to still function normally, as well as the network shares, and you still be able to log into the router, and not lose any performance.

Already tested it. I still can get to router's set up page by using the IP address I've assigned to it (not routerlogin.com) though.
Thanks for your input. Also, have to add, that upon further testing Access Control feature is what's affecting throughoutput severely as well when the router is in regular mode. 

Message 6 of 22
Chins
Aspirant

So is this something that firmware can fix? If so would using dd-wrt be another option?

Message 7 of 22
TheEther
Guru

DD-WRT doesn't support hardware acceleration, period.

Other firmware, such as Tomato and Asuswrt-Merlin, do support hardware acceleration but, AFAIK, they suffer the same problem. It's simple enough to disable the DHCP server and use a LAN port. The only downside is that you lose a LAN port. Nothing that an inexpensive Gigabit switch can't make up for.
Message 8 of 22
Chins
Aspirant

Ok, so maybe I am missing something, but wont I have to manually assign IP addresses to all my devices? 

Message 9 of 22
slash1981
Tutor

In my case RouterA is acting as DHCP server. RouterB was just an access point. So when I performed all the actions by falling RouterB back to the router mode (not AP), RouterA was still acting as DHCP server. RouterB is a simple pass-through hop for IP assignment. When wireless device connects to RouterB the IP address request is sent to DHCP server on RouterA, RouterA returns it back to RouterB, and then RouterB passes it to the wireless device.

Message 10 of 22
TheEther
Guru

That's correct. No need to manually assign IP addresses to devices.
Message 11 of 22
Chins
Aspirant

Right, but in my case where I only have the one router I cant use the workaround as I will need the router for DHCP and as such will continue to experience the internet performance hit due to the lack of hardware accelleration. Is that correct?.

Message 12 of 22
TheEther
Guru

Your cable gateway is a router.
Message 13 of 22
Chins
Aspirant

Oficially confused now, sorry.

My cable gateway is a motorola mb8600. Can it function as router? I dont see anything I can configure on it.

Message 14 of 22
slash1981
Tutor

@Chins wrote:

Right, but in my case where I only have the one router I cant use the workaround as I will need the router for DHCP and as such will continue to experience the internet performance hit due to the lack of hardware accelleration. Is that correct?.

So your R9000 is connected directly to the modem? If this is the case - are you using Access Control on your router? If you do - try disabling it and see if it resolves the issue. In my case on my RouterA (which was connected directly to the modem) I was getting 350mbps (out of 500) until I disabled Access Control. Once disabled - it went up to 500mbps.

Message 15 of 22
Chins
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply, but I am not using access control. 

Message 16 of 22
slash1981
Tutor

@Chins wrote:

My cable gateway is a motorola mb8600. Can it function as router? I dont see anything I can configure on it.

MB8600 CAN NOT act as a router. It's a pure modem. 

Message 17 of 22
slash1981
Tutor

@Chins wrote:

Thanks for the reply, but I am not using access control. 

How about CTF features? Traffic Monitoring, QoS, PPPoE, Airtime Fairness? Make sure all these features are disabled as well.

Message 18 of 22
Chins
Aspirant

All of them are disabled. Actually I dont have some of those features on my router.

Message 19 of 22
TheEther
Guru

@Chins wrote:

Sorry, I'm confused, too.  Your OP stated that your cable gateway was functioning as the DHCP server.  And the way it's set up, gateway->switch->devices+AP, is typical for a gateway that has a built in router.

The mb8600 is, in fact, a pure modem, in which case your set up is broken.  It should always be modem->router->switch->devices.  Convert your AP back into a router and reconnect as I have shown.

Message 20 of 22
Chins
Aspirant

Yeah, I should have started another post as I initially responded to this post and then thought the solution proposed would also apply to me. My config is Motorola 8660->R9000 and I am experiencing the same WAN->Lan speed drop, and it looks like this is due to the lack of hardware acceleration and there is nothing I can do to correct it. Bummer.....

Message 21 of 22
TheEther
Guru

LOL. I didn't notice that you are not the OP. In addition to the features that slash1981 mentioned, you should also disable MAC address cloning. I believe port forwarding/triggering/UPnP are also not hardware accelerated, but only for those ports in question.

It might be simplest for you to reset the router to factory settings. Then perform a minimal setup. Wi-Fi and LAN settings, no more. Don't use the USB ports, Readyshare, Plex, etc. Just use it as a router.
Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7