Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 loosing usb connection to SSD and HDD sporadically

Robbli
Aspirant

R7000 loosing usb connection to SSD and HDD sporadically

Hi

When I'm sometimes copying or reading files from my SSD or HDD attached to either the usb 2.0 or 3.0 ports on the R7000, it looses connection which is very frustrating. I noticed the USB light also turns off, so I have to reboot the router and reconnect the drives, sometimes I have to connect the drives to my PC and do an error scan and repair to get the R7000 detecting them again.

I've been browsing this forum for solutions, one thing came up which was the file system, I'm using NTFS on both my SSD and HDD so am wondering if I format both drives to ext3 or ext4 it will solve the connection problems?

I'm really disappointing with Netgear that I'm having on the R7000 for what seemingly is a lack of R&D or QA when it comes to using various external drives and file systems!

Model - Nighthawk R7000
Firmware - V1.0.6.28_1.1.83 

PC system - Windows 10 Home, 64bit - CPU  i7 4790k, 16gb RAM

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
Robbli
Aspirant

Re: R7000 loosing usb connection to SSD and HDD sporadically

As far as I know SSDs do not require a third party driver as they are plug and play devices. Like I said before, the SSD requires more power than HDD surprisingly enough.

Anyway, I managed to get a refund on the SSD and instead bought a Seagate 1TB slim HDD which works fine.

Thanks for your help and time.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies
Robbli
Aspirant

Just an update, I converted my drives to ext4 file system, all seemed well until I started copying multiple files, the usb connection was lost and the usb light went off on the router yet again.

BIG Sigh.

I have ordered a new usb 3.0 enclosure and cable as a last attempt to solve this problem otherwise it's off to ebay and look elsewhere.

Message 2 of 10
Robbli
Aspirant

My new USB 3.0 HDD enclosure and cable came today... unfortunately the problems still persist!

Is there a new firmware coming out to address these issues?

Edit - Could it be a power issue as the enclosure uses power from the R7000 USB port and not it's own power supply?

Message 3 of 10
JamesGL
Master

Hi Robbli,

What is the firmware version of the router? Please try the beta firmware and see if that helps. (here).

Message 4 of 10
Robbli
Aspirant

Downloaded it and flashed to the beta, unfortunately no difference. The USB light turns off after a few seconds of connecting my USB SSD.

I noticed I have a netgear 12v 3.5 amp power adapter, would a 12v 5amp make a difference for example?

Message 5 of 10
JamesGL
Master

Hi Robbli,

Please reset the router after the update. Also, please try to use the required power output of the router.

Message 6 of 10
Robbli
Aspirant

Hi James

Thanks for the response, I've reset the router, my HDD seems to be working fine in the USB 3.0 port for now, I will try copying some large files soon.

I noticed on my HDD it requires 5v 0.5 amps and my SSD requires 5v and 2amps, the SSD still does not work in either USB ports, so I'm speculating still it's a power output problem from the USB ports.

How many amps from a USB port on the R7000 are required to power a HDD or SSD by it's self?

Message 7 of 10
JamesGL
Master

Hi Robbli,

For SDD, does it require to install a driver in order for it to work on a computer? If yes, it is the reason why it won't work with the router.

Message 8 of 10
Robbli
Aspirant

As far as I know SSDs do not require a third party driver as they are plug and play devices. Like I said before, the SSD requires more power than HDD surprisingly enough.

Anyway, I managed to get a refund on the SSD and instead bought a Seagate 1TB slim HDD which works fine.

Thanks for your help and time.

Message 9 of 10
JamesGL
Master

Hi Robbli,

Thank you for your update. You may tag your post as accepted solution.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7