Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 not doing gigabit ethernet speeds

TheBatman
Aspirant

R7000 not doing gigabit ethernet speeds

I have just upgraded to Comcast Gigabit Internet.  It's coming in to a Surfboard SB8200 modem.  At the modem, I get correct speed.  From the router, notsomuch.  I have done factory resets, I have all Cat-6 cabling (and I've swapped it out for different cables...), there is NO QoS, parental controls, etc., enabled, and no custom settings.  I have rolled the firmware back to an unsafe version, and have also updated it to the current (as of July 12ths release) firmware.

I peak at around 495 Mbps, and it settles out to avg around 390 Mbps.  I have tested this on a wired dell desktop with a gig NIC, and also 2 dell laptops - each more than capable of gig connections. 

Everything I see points to the router - which SHOULD be gig capable...yet time and time again, testing at DSLreports.com, I'm not up to snuff.

I'd hate to have to think I need to replace it - it's not that old and it wasn't cheap.  I've looked through the other threads that I could find, and none of those 'solutions' has helped...

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 23

Accepted Solutions
TheBatman
Aspirant

Re: R7000 not doing gigabit ethernet speeds

I think I have it figured out...as I was *not* getting speed right out of the modem.  I replaced the nighthawk with a Linksys router - exact same results - so it isn't the router at all.  I had the Comcast techs out for 2 1/2 hr...of course, they connected one of their modems....GIG SPEED!!!  I don't want one of their modems...I want mine to work, as it is supposed to be compatible.  They kept pointing back to my modem...  As it turns out, I'm getting 32 downstream channels bonded/locked...but only 4 upstream (and there should be 8.  Comcast, thus far, has been unable to provision the modem correctly...so it's on them.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, etc., and i'm hoping Comcast can get their stuff together (personally, I think they owe me a rebate for the months I haven't been able to get the speed I should have...).

View solution in original post

Message 23 of 23

All Replies
bbbf0621
Guide

Do you have traffic meter enabled? Try disabling it and reboot the router, it worked for me.

I actually found this problem 3 years ago and made a complaint about it. Netgear said it wasn't a problem.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Traffic-Meter-bug/td-p/484913

Message 2 of 23
TheBatman
Aspirant

I don't have anything enabled...that's what irritates me.  There's basically nothing more to shut off.  I've read that once the 1.0.9.x firmware was released, it had issues with slowness, and that every subsequent release has failed to fix it, so some were going back to old, outdated firmware.  Got the speed up, but left them vulnerable.  I even tried THAT and no luck...so i'm back to current firmware.

Guess I could try flashing to DD-WRT or some other brand of firmware and see if that helps...

Message 3 of 23
IrvSp
Master

I recall, but could be wrong, someone had a similar problem and solved it a very unusual way.

Look at the QoS tab. That is on the ADVANCED, SETUP tab in a browser running Genie and logged into the router.

In the middle is a SPEED TEST. Run it, it should find your speed just fine. That was the 'fix' I recall? If there is NO value there for speed or it is low like you are getting you could have found the cause for low speed. Some have claimed even with QoS off that 'rules'.

Hope this helps.... and if it does show a low speed after test, well, I don't know  what to tell you.

Message 4 of 23
TheBatman
Aspirant

@IrvSp wrote:

I recall, but could be wrong, someone had a similar problem and solved it a very unusual way.

Look at the QoS tab. That is on the ADVANCED, SETUP tab in a browser running Genie and logged into the router.

In the middle is a SPEED TEST. Run it, it should find your speed just fine. That was the 'fix' I recall? If there is NO value there for speed or it is low like you are getting you could have found the cause for low speed. Some have claimed even with QoS off that 'rules'.

Hope this helps.... and if it does show a low speed after test, well, I don't know  what to tell you.

That only shows up when QoS is enabled, and it's the speedtest.net one, as I recall.  I have run that one from their website...the xfinity one from speedtest (which is inaccurate, as it only tests to Comcast's server within speedtest), and at DSLReports.com -which is the best one to use.

I have read that, if you enable QoS, it will booger your speeds, and that at Gig speeds, it's unnecessary anyway, so yeah...welcome to my world 🐵  Thanks for the reply tho...

Message 5 of 23
IrvSp
Master

@TheBatman wrote:

I have read that, if you enable QoS, it will booger your speeds, and that at Gig speeds, it's unnecessary anyway, so yeah...welcome to my world 🐵  Thanks for the reply tho...

Yes, true... but it seems that 'some' speed is set internally some say. That limits you. Enabling Qos, testing the speed and applying clears that. Then disable QoS and apply.

I did that one first setup, and that test always has appeared for me, and I can run it, even with QoS disabled.... see Capture on right.

Message 6 of 23
TheBatman
Aspirant

@IrvSp wrote:

@TheBatman wrote:

Yes, true... but it seems that 'some' speed is set internally some say. That limits you. Enabling Qos, testing the speed and applying clears that. Then disable QoS and apply.

I did that one first setup, and that test always has appeared for me, and I can run it, even with QoS disabled.... see Capture on right.

Yep -been there, done that...lol...  I'm still only showing like 401 Mbps download.  Upload speed is good...but that D/L speed is less than half what it should be showing.  I was in Best Buy today looking...and it is just going to PAIN me to pay that much $$ again, when I shouldn't have to.  There was a D-Link for under $100...and one other one that was around $75, but D-Link has never been good for me, but now that Netgear isn't really being good to me either - not sure what I should do.

Message 7 of 23
IrvSp
Master

@TheBatman wrote:

I was in Best Buy today looking...and it is just going to PAIN me to pay that much $$ again, when I shouldn't have to.  There was a D-Link for under $100...and one other one that was around $75, but D-Link has never been good for me, but now that Netgear isn't really being good to me either - not sure what I should do.

I'm not going to be like some others around here and suggest what you buy. Some even suggest different vendors but use 3rd party S/W.

Some swear by 3rd party s/w and claim it fixes whatever ails them. I suspect that is because it is a fresh install and the configuration they had with many firmware updates got damaged somehow. Rarely do you see a complaint the it was working as-is for x months and all of a sudden this happened, although there are a few of those.

To be honest, I too was ready to go somwhere else...

I had an R7000, over 6 years old. A week or so after the last firmware upgrade I did one day the Internet LED was orange? Rebooted the router and it was OK. I was having modem problems where it did reboot randomly. I thought it was modem caused. Then it happened again, but I had the modem replaced by the ISP. It would happen every 3 or so days... I felt the router served me well over the time so I didn't mind replacing it, but I wasn't too thrilled about NG's 3 month support for problem, and the problems I've had in the past and the slow poor resolution, and my on-going battle with support.

So I looked at other router warranties... I recall them all being about the same. In the past I've had LinkSys and ASUS routers, as well as other NG routers. I had the best experiences with NG though. With all them, usually the newer they were, the more problems one has immediately. Now I used a USB drive for sharing data across iPad's, Phones, and Smart TV's. So I needed one with that DLNA feature. That right away puts me into the more expensive class. The R8000 seemed to fit the bill and my pocketbook so I got it. I liked the Smart Connect on it being only for the 2 5Ghz radio's and how it divides the devices on those bands. Works fine for me.

Well, if you really really want to, there is a DD-WRT for the R6700, https://www.myopenrouter.com/downloads/dd-wrt-r6700. I did put a DD-WRT build on my R7000 one time, used it for a few weeks, and it was missing some features at the time like logging and I had to install a script to do that. I saw no real advantage using it and went back to stock Netgear firmware (it isn't hard to do). Before throwing the router aside it could be worth a try?

Message 8 of 23
TheBatman
Aspirant

Well, that was an exercise in futility.  I Flashed to DD-WRT...the good news is - I didn't brick the R7000...the bad?? No change in speeds.  I can get the speed at the modem, so I know it's there.  Ugh...probably looking like more money to be spent.

Message 9 of 23
IrvSp
Master

I'm at a loss? With 2 different firmware from different vendor's it could very well be the router? If in the 1 year window, get it RMA'ed. Worth a try the new one doesn't have the same problem?

Message 10 of 23
IrvSp
Master

I should also mention when I was contemplating what router to buy I looked at the forum's for ALL the major vendors I could find. Basically they all looked the same as here. Even when searching for the particular router I was interested in on those sites I hit a lot of problems showing. Basing a decision on something like that isn't really the best thing, as you have no idea the real scope of the problem as you can't see how many report directly to the vendor vs. how many have no problems?

I guess all I'm saying is your best bet is to buy something where you can return it without a stocking fee if you experience any problems.

Message 11 of 23
TheBatman
Aspirant

I bought it in 2015, so, that ship has sailed.  Fortunately, I got it at Staples when they mistakenly priced it at $99.  I got that and a $10 gift card, so I'm really only out $89....but still.  I can probably sell it for more than that for someone who doesn't need the Gig speed. 

It was worth a try to flash it.  I can flash it back and sell sell sell.

Message 12 of 23
TheBatman
Aspirant

Yep...I'm done futzing with it.  I've had the latest FW, DD-WRT, an older 1.0.3.x and a 1.0.5.x firmware, and now back to the latest -all with resets in between - no luck.  Not a happy camper right about now, and, as you said...ALL of the major routers seem to have this issue or that issue.  I don't know what to do.  I don't know if ALL Netgear routers are messed up due to firmware glitches or not...  I'll just check with Bestbuy or Amazon or Walmart to see what the return policy is on their routers - don't want to be paying a re-stocking fee (they'll just sell as 'open-box' anyway).  Guess I should be happy with 400 Mbps but since i'm paying for Gig...I'm not.

Message 13 of 23
ryan8551226
Initiate

I have noticed mine doing this too sometimes. It intermittently does it when discord is running which makes no sense. I've confirmed it with two pcs on my network. Same is as you and same connection tier
Message 14 of 23
TheBatman
Aspirant

Unfortunately, mine isn't intermittent...it's constant :o(  I'm consistently getting 300-400 Mbps, but should be at a gig, so, yeah...not happy...  I just wonder if ALL Netgear routers are boogered...

Message 15 of 23
TheBatman
Aspirant

Now I'm not certain anything is necessarily wrong with the nighthawk.  I just bought a Linksys AC4000 router - same deal only way less customization available.  I read somewhere that the SB8200 modem doesn't play nice with a lot of routers - but now it's too late to take that back.  I did return the Linksys though - no need to spend the money for the same speed and less customization...i'm about ready to give up.

Message 16 of 23
IrvSp
Master

Problem could be you need a CAT7 cable from the modem to the router.

Other possibilty, the ISP didn't properly configured the modem and it is basically in DOCSIS 3.0 mode vs. 3.1 (number of bonded channel basically), and that is on the configuration they sent to the router.

Message 17 of 23
TheBatman
Aspirant

@IrvSp wrote:

Problem could be you need a CAT7 cable from the modem to the router.

Other possibilty, the ISP didn't properly configured the modem and it is basically in DOCSIS 3.0 mode vs. 3.1 (number of bonded channel basically), and that is on the configuration they sent to the router.

Really?!?  It could be that simple?!?  I have a brand new Cat 6 (and I've tried other Cat 6 as well)....  At work, we have Cat 6 and can pull gig speed all day long.  I mean, it could be the issue...  I can order from Monoprice and see - it would certainly be an inexpensive fix, but I've been reading that Netgear borked the firmware a while back that choked speeds...but then, with my recent experience, Linksys would have had to done something similar...  I've also read that the SB8200 doesn't necessarily play well with others, but if it's gig coming OUT of the modem...a signal shouldn't care what brand of router you're going into...

I'm fairly certain it's provisioned correctly - 32 down and 4 upstream channels...so for $7.50 + shipping...guess it's worth a shot...

Message 18 of 23
IrvSp
Master

@TheBatman wrote:

I'm fairly certain it's provisioned correctly - 32 down and 4 upstream channels...so for $7.50 + shipping...guess it's worth a shot...

If the Cat6 is really good, I'm not sure a new cable would fix it? I was just suggesting possibilities. I only mention CAT7 as you never said what cable was used?

Have you tested connected directly to the modem?

The is a SPEEDTEST on the QoS page. You can run it without enabling QoS. I think also some had suggested enabling QoS, run the test, then disable QoS fixes it? Even without QoS enabled and the test either run before with different service or never run it might effect speed?

Message 19 of 23
TheBatman
Aspirant

@IrvSp wrote:

@TheBatman wrote:

If the Cat6 is really good, I'm not sure a new cable would fix it? I was just suggesting possibilities. I only mention CAT7 as you never said what cable was used?

Have you tested connected directly to the modem?

The is a SPEEDTEST on the QoS page. You can run it without enabling QoS. I think also some had suggested enabling QoS, run the test, then disable QoS fixes it? Even without QoS enabled and the test either run before with different service or never run it might effect speed?

I have...I do get 950-1 gb directly out of the modem.  I've done the enabling QoS and disabling - no good.  I've flashed back to a previous version of the FW...no change.  I've flashed to DD-WRT...no change.  That makes me take a harder look at your suggestion about the Cat 7 cable...it's about the only thing left.  I've tried multiple Cat 6 and nothing...but Cat 6 directly out of the modem is almost what it should be.  Weird.

Message 20 of 23
MonkEspank
Aspirant

I know this isn't any help but I've had this exact same issue since I upgraded to Gigabit service a year ago. I get 980mbps down 950mbps up off the modem. Plug in the router, run test, 390 down 270 up. As with you, every possible thing that can be disabled is. I've tried everything possible, changed cables, dd-wrt, old firmware and my speeds never improve.
Message 21 of 23
Outt
Aspirant

Enable Shortcut Forwarding Engine

I had the same issue(with an R6400) that I have running DD-WRT.

Was getting 250Mbps down, and searched everything on google.  Kept reading to disablke QoS but I don't have that enabled, and then I came across this.  It's under Basic Setup I believe.  Now I'm getting 600Mbps(still not the 850 I used to get with my Trendnet, but better wireless) but when I check at Fast.com I get 7-800 with a max of 1220Mbps the last time I ran it.

Overall it doesn't seem to have completely let me top out, I'll keep checking in the next day or 2, but see if it at least increases you speeds.

Message 22 of 23
TheBatman
Aspirant

I think I have it figured out...as I was *not* getting speed right out of the modem.  I replaced the nighthawk with a Linksys router - exact same results - so it isn't the router at all.  I had the Comcast techs out for 2 1/2 hr...of course, they connected one of their modems....GIG SPEED!!!  I don't want one of their modems...I want mine to work, as it is supposed to be compatible.  They kept pointing back to my modem...  As it turns out, I'm getting 32 downstream channels bonded/locked...but only 4 upstream (and there should be 8.  Comcast, thus far, has been unable to provision the modem correctly...so it's on them.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, etc., and i'm hoping Comcast can get their stuff together (personally, I think they owe me a rebate for the months I haven't been able to get the speed I should have...).

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7